Is this Verticillium wilt?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megunticook

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
One of a pair of sugar maples I planted back in 2004 is showing some wilting on the central leader and two other branches. I think this may be verticillium wilt but not entirely sure and would be interested in other opinions.

Quick background: tree suffered a broken stem back in 2010 or so after an early snowstorm but seemed to recover quickly and has always looked full and vigorous with noticeably more branches and leaves than its sister tree. In early April this year I applied some Espoma TreeTone fertilizer to both trees, following the directions on the bag by making 3" x 12" holes around the drip ring, adding some fert., and backfilling the holes. It was a wet spring, now that we're in the third week of June rain is easing up a bit. The wilt showed up literally overnight on the central leader, then a few days later on another branch, then another. That was about two weeks ago, no further signs of problems. Unaffected branches seem to be growing normally at this point.

I'm thinking I must've injured some roots and created an entry path for verticillium fungus, but not sure. I removed two of the wilted branches and don't see any signs of darkening (see photos below). I saw no sign of roots when I made those holes, but maybe I injured some tiny feeder roots.

The sister tree seems to be doing just fine.

What do you think? Am I looking at Verticillium? Can I nurse this tree back to health? What should I be doing? I understand the storm wound is severe and this tree may not make it long-term but I'd like to keep it going if possible. In any case I will plant another nearby just in case.

Thanks for any advice.

sister-maples.jpg

tree-with-wilt.jpg

wilted-leaves-3jpg.jpg

old-wound.jpg

sugar-maple-wilted-branch-cross2.jpg

sugar-maple-wilted-branch-cross.jpg

branch-trunk.jpg

The branches in the photos above are about that size. Do you see anything there that looks like staining? I'm not exactly sure what it's supposed to look like...

I'd peel off some bark and have a closer look. I have more luck seeing the staining when peeling the bark vs. looking at the end. In that 5th picture (the first one of the branch end): Check the darker areas at 7:00, 8:00 and 10:00.

Back