Japanese Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cajun

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need more help on another tree. :)

I have a Japanese Maple that started out just beautiful this year when it came time for the leaves to come out. Then all of a sudden some of the leaves on parts of the tree started to dye. It did it kind of like in sections. Not all the leaves died. What could have caused this?

Thanks

I'm not sure where you live, Cajun, but it sounds like frost/sun damage to me. It typically affects branches with a full-on southern exposure. I have a red maple in my yard now that has lost two branches (large ones) to this abiotic problem.

Japanese Maples

Originally posted by Deere John
I'm not sure where you live, Cajun, but it sounds like frost/sun damage to me. It typically affects branches with a full-on southern exposure. I have a red maple in my yard now that has lost two branches (large ones) to this abiotic problem.

Hi John, I have a similar problem as Cajun. I live in Upstate SC z7 and have two Japanese maples (Acer Palmatum) I planted about 30 feet apart in red clay two years ago. One is in a slightly more shady spot and is growing well... it is about 7' tall and lots of healthy new growth. The other tree planted at the same time is only about 5' high, has several dead branches and some dead, dry culing leaves.. it looks 'sick'. Should I move it to a less sunny spot? The 'sick' tree gets a southwest sun exposure from about 1-5 PM as does the healthy one. Would better soil prep, fertilzer and frequent watering help? Thanks for your answer.. Sheep

Hi John,

Thanks for replying. I live in Louisiana and my tree is planted where it gets sun first thing in the morning. My house faces the east and it is in the front yard. I planted it 2 years ago and it is only about 3-4 foot tall, it has not grown much. Should I move it as it does not have anything to give it shade other than once the sun is high enough where the house shades it late in the afternoon. And thanks again for any help.

Back