Just Released: Estwing Premium Work Gloves!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer the Atlas Therma Fit gloves for year round use (gray) They are a little thicker than the Fit (blue) gloves. I have tried both as well as several other brands. I find the Atlas gloves to last the longest.

https://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Showa-...rd_wg=7zVyg&psc=1&refRID=BG5GY6RDQ8MV2AC6Q2Y6

Buying gloves by the dozen guarantees you’ll always be able to find a pair. They may be a pair of lefts but you can always find a pair

I like the way Mechanix gloves fit my hands, but for the most part I dislike those style of gloves. I bought the 4X ones and they did the same as most peoples, they split at the seams. As far as lasting four times longer than regular leather, I doubt that as I did wear through that material, but not before the seams gave up.

I've had two or three pairs of Mechanix. Horrible overpriced gloves, they may look good but last far less than gloves costing a fraction.
Design is great but materials and stitching are third rate.

I've used those before. They did ok but over time and with heat, the nitrile stuff either gets really smooth with no grip or really sticky and gunks up everything I touched.

That's been my experience, they usually get smooth and don't grip as well. At that point though I just use them for some other task where the grip isn't necessary, try to wear them until I wear holes in them. The Ansell gloves do wear through the nitrile quickly, at which point they get holes in the finger tips not long after.

I've had two or three pairs of Mechanix. Horrible overpriced gloves, they may look good but last far less than gloves costing a fraction.
Design is great but materials and stitching are third rate.

I'm pretty sure I've bought my last pair of Mechanix, I generally don't like wearing gloves, so the ones I've mentioned I'm pretty stuck on if I'm going to wear something.

I prefer the Atlas Therma Fit gloves for year round use (gray) They are a little thicker than the Fit (blue) gloves. I have tried both as well as several other brands. I find the Atlas gloves to last the longest.

https://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Showa-...rd_wg=7zVyg&psc=1&refRID=BG5GY6RDQ8MV2AC6Q2Y6

Buying gloves by the dozen guarantees you’ll always be able to find a pair. They may be a pair of lefts but you can always find a pair

They can get sticky. Doesn't bother me. Another thing I love about the Atlas, you can wash them. I sweat like a pig, and my gloves smell like one after a couple uses. I throw the Atlas gloves in with the whites and a little bleach, let air dry, no more smell.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DD2EK2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I discovered the Nitrile gloves last year. Love them. Sure they are 'throw aways' but far cheaper than leather gloves. Leather doesn['t last long with me before at least one finger wears through. The Nitriles last fairly well, hve better grip than leather, and are light enough there is still some 'feel'. The fit like a...well a glove, tight. Lots of time I find my self still wearing them several miles down the road on the way home. At less than $1/pair they can't be beat.

I've had no luck at all with leather gloves. In my case I wear holes in the left hand in less than a week. Tried expensive ones and cheap ones. Once I got two pair with fingers through in the left hand:
P1040749.JPG

I'd take a good right hand glove from one pair, turn it inside out and pair it with the right hand glove from the other pair, and be good from another week:

restored pair.JPG

Pretty unsatisfactory results for me. So, I switched to Atlas gloves for most of the year, and a thermal version for the really cold days.

IMG_9248.JPG

These hold up better than the leather, are cheaper too. But, ultimately, these don't last a month for me.

Gloves.JPG

One of the costs of working with wood, especially in the winter when it is often wet, snow covered, or frozen. I've never tried the Estwing brand in the OP, but I've tried several of that style, and haven't had any better luck than with the leather. I'll be interested to hear how they hold up for you.

I've had no luck at all with leather gloves. In my case I wear holes in the left hand in less than a week. Tried expensive ones and cheap ones. Once I got two pair with fingers through in the left hand:
View attachment 632469

I'd take a good right hand glove from one pair, turn it inside out and pair it with the right hand glove from the other pair, and be good from another week:

View attachment 632470

Pretty unsatisfactory results for me. So, I switched to Atlas gloves for most of the year, and a thermal version for the really cold days.

View attachment 632471

These hold up better than the leather, are cheaper too. But, ultimately, these don't last a month for me.

View attachment 632472

One of the costs of working with wood, especially in the winter when it is often wet, snow covered, or frozen. I've never tried the Estwing brand in the OP, but I've tried several of that style, and haven't had any better luck than with the leather. I'll be interested to hear how they hold up for you.
So far so good with the Estwing gloves. I'll keep you posted.

I ordered a pair of these the other day after reading this post. Been using them all day with little if any sign of wear. I do believe I will be ordering some more. Thanks.

I ordered a pair of these the other day after reading this post. Been using them all day with little if any sign of wear. I do believe I will be ordering some more. Thanks.

It’s nothing. I love it when you find something reasonably priced that works.

Some of the negatives I’ve found with other brands of this type glove are a bad smell, coating peeling off, and gloves getting stiff over time. The Atlas gloves have no odor. You can eventually wear through the coating but it won’t peel off. The seem to stay supple for quite some time, even if you leave them in a hot car.

View attachment 632469

View attachment 632470

View attachment 632471

View attachment 632472

I smear a layer of Vulkem 116 caulking to the fingers (leather gloves) that start to wear. This caulk takes a few days to dry, however, so not a quick fix but leather gloves will last a whole lot longer!

I have to wonder if even Kevlar gloves would hold up against hackberry or ash, especially hackberry that wears anything out. I may have to try Dennis066's solution with caulking. Good post.

BTW, has anyone found or tried gloves made using Kevlar? Just curious.

I have to wonder if even Kevlar gloves would hold up against hackberry or ash, especially hackberry that wears anything out. I may have to try Dennis066's solution with caulking. Good post.

BTW, has anyone found or tried gloves made using Kevlar? Just curious.

Look for Dyneema fiber , it's tougher than Kevlar...the Great White brand gloves are the most cut and wear resistant gloves out there. We use them at work dealing with aerospace materials that will cut through or rapidly wear out every other glove on the market...and our safety dept. has tried them all!

They get saturated with oil or coolant and start stinking so guys toss them..I hoard them up then soak them in Dawn detergent and they're good as new.

Look for Dyneema fiber , it's tougher than Kevlar...the Great White brand gloves are the most cut and wear resistant gloves out there. We use them at work dealing with aerospace materials that will cut through or rapidly wear out every other glove on the market...and our safety dept. has tried them all!

They get saturated with oil or coolant and start stinking so guys toss them..I hoard them up then soak them in Dawn detergent and they're good as new.

Spendy, but they look damn nice.

Back