• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Looking for 661 parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kielbasa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Saw had a tree fall on it, needs handle, fuel tank and other miscellaneous. This is my bosses saw, said he'd sell it to me for 500, but unless I can get cheap parts it may not be worth it? So just seeing if any relatively cheap 661 parts saws out there? Thanks!

Just my opinion but I don't think that's such a great deal I'm not a big fan of the 661 but anyway I sell lots of parts on eBay and here are some of the prices so you can at least get an idea of what it will take to fix.

Is it a M-Tronic ? If so dose it still run? You have to be careful dropping or running over will damage the circutry in the carb the only way to fix is to replace the carb and they are not cheap $200.00 for a new one and $75.00 used, New Tanks are 200 I was getting 125-150 for a used tank, case halfs I would usually get 100 each, I was getting 50-60 for used 1/2 wraps and 125-150 for used full wraps, used crankshafts would bring 150 and up, used starters were 80 and up as you can see parts are high as hell but whole running saws only bring 700-1200 depending on condition. Those are eBay prices don't forget to account for that hope this helps if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask I'll try to help

ok, thanks for the insight!
I believe all 661 were mtronic? this one is at least.....no idea if it runs.
He did take to dealer, they quoted ~450 in parts to bring back to life.
Yes, it may not be a great deal - conversation such as this will help me to determine whether I jump into this deal or not - Thanks!

At that price I would pass on it. I have some parts...but by the time you get the parts and invest the time you will be far past what you can get a good used one for.

$500 is too much in my opinion, maybe worth a couple hundred. Also, those cases are fragile and I would do a thorough inspection of the clutch side case half before spending any money on it.

ok, thanks for the insight!
I believe all 661 were mtronic? this one is at least.....no idea if it runs.
He did take to dealer, they quoted ~450 in parts to bring back to life.
Yes, it may not be a great deal - conversation such as this will help me to determine whether I jump into this deal or not - Thanks!
I thought some early ones were non m tronic but I might be thinking of the 441 anyway the modules are super sensitive to shock and it would not surprise me if they are bad because that saw took quite a lick. I would pass just to avoid the headache of the m tronic modules. I agreed the cases are very fragile and you will probably find small cracks around the bearing pockets they are hard to detect sometimes you have to clean it thoroughly
$500 is too much in my opinion, maybe worth a couple hundred. Also, those cases are fragile and I would do a thorough inspection of the clutch side case half before spending any money on it.
Definitely inspect that case half every time I list one it's sales within a few hours and I will get $100 or more depending how nice it is and I can promise there are lots of them with Cracks around the bearing pocket on the clutch side I've probably thrown away 10 - 12 in the last year because they were cracked out of probably 14 or 15 saws there was only a few good clutch side halfs

wow, are these 661's that tender? I', primarily looking for a big torque saw that i can lean on - love my 361's and 362's, but you gotta keep them zinging or they bog NOW, i have never ran a 661, hoping it would be better......even the 461 and 462 i ran did NOT impress....

wow, are these 661's that tender? I', primarily looking for a big torque saw that i can lean on - love my 361's and 362's, but you gotta keep them zinging or they bog NOW, i have never ran a 661, hoping it would be better......even the 461 and 462 i ran did NOT impress....
I think they run better than a stock 660 but, I prefer my ported 660 over my 661.
I do think there is more potential from the 661 overall but, I just like how solid the 660 is.

If you don't mind and orange saw, I'd suggest looking at a 395. They have their own issues but, an overall solid saw and they make lots of power.

I have a 395 & 394 as well, my ported 394 is by far my favorite 90 to 95cc saw.

used Stihls bring big bucks even if they are busted. Buy a Huskie they are cheap and everyone seams to like them just fine. They do weight a bit more and are not as agile and get heaver at the end of the day.

Latest posts

Back