Looking to buy my first saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cccoltsicehockey

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Little background. The only saw I have ever used up to this point is my fathers Stihl 028 Wood Boss with a 16in bar. He has owned it since new and it has seen a good bit of use as a home owner saw basically. It could use a bit of a tune up for sure. Once warmed up the chain no longer stops but it still runs well other wise and cuts anything you throw at it. I have access to use it whenever but have decided I would also like to pickup my own saw so I don't always have to stop by his place to pick it up when I need it.

I have been doing some research for a few weeks now on here and several other sites looking at various options for my first Stihl saw. I have read good things about Husky as well but my closest dealer is 35min away and I have two Sithl dealers within 20min one of which I have purhcased a couple trimmers from.

I have mainly narrowed it down to the MS261CM but the last few days have started looking at the MS362CM as well. A few years ago I purchased a house on an acre and a half and just shy of an acre of it is still wooded. I don't heat with wood but use my fire pit pretty frequently during the summer. Most of the property is a good bit of various pines, with some gum trees, and a few hardwoods. The pines are the biggest of anything on the property with a max of about 14-16in.

Looking to get one saw to do everything and with the power increase of the MS261CM over my fathers 028WB I imagine that should be enough. I like the fact it will also be a good bit lighter as well. The MS362CM though is still a tiny bit lighter than the 028 and much more powerful. Have also been looking to go with an 18in bar but it might not be needed. Looking for some good opinions on the matter. Thanks in advance.

Tune the 028 so it does not spin the chain at idle.

I'm sure a 261 would be awesome but if you want to spend less you could get a non pro line Stihl or an Echo. A non pro Stihl that makes the same power as the 261 will be heavier. Heck my old 025 would handle an occasional 18" tree, just not as fast as a 261. The current version is the MS250 and Stihl still sells them.

I would personally check out an Echo. When buying a Stihl, you pay a premium just for the name. With Echo, you get more saw for the money. I'm not saying Stihl does not have great saws, because they do. Their home owner models are junk though.

Just remember, this is the proper way to start a Stihl.
dff7bcea8ce773f58b773200e217bc33.jpg

Steve

I would personally check out an Echo. When buying a Stihl, you pay a premium just for the name. With Echo, you get more saw for the money. I'm not saying Stihl does not have great saws, because they do. Their home owner models are junk though.
The MS261CM and MS362CM aren't home owner saws.

NYH1.

Bought the 362 couple years ago. We have some occasion 24in+ trees go down which justified larger one for me. I have 20 and 16 inch bars. Usually run with the 20 going into the woods. Haven't met a tree it can't handle. I enjoy the 20 for limbing even, just tap, tap, tap goes the limbs. I also have the 170 for small work, which is great for that. However, I'd say for a single saw system go with the 362, if you occasionally use your saw go lighter. Good luck and happy buying.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Tune the 028 so it does not spin the chain at idle.

I'm sure a 261 would be awesome but if you want to spend less you could get a non pro line Stihl or an Echo. A non pro Stihl that makes the same power as the 261 will be heavier. Heck my old 025 would handle an occasional 18" tree, just not as fast as a 261. The current version is the MS250 and Stihl still sells them.
I have tried several times to tune it to stop. When the saw is cold and you make the first couple cuts it still stops. Once you get it warmed up really good though it won't stop. If I tune it so that it doesn't stop then when cutting it seems to bog down and the chain will get stuck. Going to keep trying to figure it out though cause the old 028WB won't be going anywhere. I will keep it forever once my dad no longer uses it.

A 261 with an 18" bar would handle everything that you're describing wonderfully.

I'd go for a 261 as well.

261 version 2

So made my decision this weekend. Picked up the MS261 C-M with an 18in bar. I checked out the MS362 as well but really like how light the 261 is and the .8hp gain over the older 028WB I imagine should be plenty for my needs.

IMG_20180514_092342.jpg

IMG_20180514_092402.jpg

Thought this almost looked like an advertisement
IMG_20180514_092550.jpg

First work with the new saw
IMG_20180514_092609.jpg

Made myself a bench to sit on too
IMG_20180514_092624.jpg

Really like the power and how fast it cuts. Only on my second tank of gas though yet though and from what I read it will only get stronger through the first 4-5 tanks worth. The AV tech seems to have come a long way as well cause it doesn't seem to wear on my arms and make them start to go num near as fast as the 028 did.

enjoy your new saw, it really dose not matter which brand you buy, they all have their good ones and their turds... just remember fresh gas, fresh gas, fresh gas. always empty it out and run it dry at an idle if its going to sit for more than a couple of weeks. You might intend to use it a week or two later but then forget...and when you need it 6 months later its suddenly screwed up due to bad fuel. avoid ethanol like the plague and work that saw like the hot little hooker she is :)

enjoy your new saw, it really dose not matter which brand you buy, they all have their good ones and their turds... just remember fresh gas, fresh gas, fresh gas. always empty it out and run it dry at an idle if its going to sit for more than a couple of weeks. You might intend to use it a week or two later but then forget...and when you need it 6 months later its suddenly screwed up due to bad fuel. avoid ethanol like the plague and work that saw like the hot little hooker she is :)
Thank you. Never heard to let it idle to runs dry if not going to be used for a few weeks. I typically only fill my saw half full unless I know I can run it empty with the work I have to do so that I am always adding at least some fresh the next time I use it. Plus my mix is always fresh since I run through it with my weed eater and blower all the time.

Regarding ethanol. Someone once told me 93 doesn't have ethanol in it. Is that true? I normally use 93 in my mix. However, I live near a lake people boat on and the gas station right down the road sells 89 ethanol free. Am I better running that than 93?

Latest posts

Back