makita 6421 with 84cc big bore kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hummy35

Reaction score
just wondeering what u guys thought about the makita 6421 with the 84cc optional upgrade?? will it hurt the saw. baileys has it for 650. i was looking at the dolmar 7900 with a 36 inch bar, but my local dealer wants 915 for this saw. will the 6421 be as good of a saw. mostly be cutting 20 inch and smaller logs, but want to do it with some authority...lol

I would try to get a smaller bar on the 7900 and see if they'll come down on price. The 6421 would need the muffler gutted to run to its full potential.

I received a 6401 with an 84cc big bore kit the other day that a buy purchased off ebay. Seems to be overfueling big time. Installed a carb kit and looked it over and nothing jumps out at me. Those of you who have done this kit did you encounter any problems. Its tough to say what was done or not done to this saw. When you try to start it it blows a puff of smokey gas mixture out of the comp release. Could the carb be Effed? dont wanna order one if i dont need to. Figured i would consult the experts first.

Your fueling issues have nothing to do with the BB kit. IIRC, the same carb is use on the 6400 & 7900. Sounds like your saw is flooded.

Thats kinda what i was thinking as well the only thing is it hasnt been ran for weeks. The guy hasnt even tried to start it since he got it. the carb settings were 2 H 1.5 L initially and i have been slowly adjusting in and trying to start but i dont want to go too much further i am at 3/4 L and 1H and when she does pop off you can rev it a couple times and gas just blows out of the intake and dies once you let off the throttle. It makes it tough being the 3rd or possibly 4th wheel in this whole mess. I dont know what all the guy before did to try to fix the problem. I wish i would have done one of these myself first so i had more experience with it.

Your fueling issues have nothing to do with the BB kit. IIRC, the same carb is use on the 6400 & 7900. Sounds like your saw is flooded.

Yup, same everything on the 6400, 7300 and 7900 except for P&C.

IMHO 36" is a bit big for that saw, even with the BB kit. I wouldnt go far beyond 28" with a 79 or 84cc saw...

Yup, same everything on the 6400, 7300 and 7900 except for P&C.

IMHO 36" is a bit big for that saw, even with the BB kit. I wouldnt go far beyond 28" with a 79 or 84cc saw...

Thanks for the reply, I am different than the OP i just figured why open up another thread when i could just jump on this one since its been dead for a while. I believe the guy will be running a 28 on this saw possibly a 32 im not totally sure.

just wondeering what u guys thought about the makita 6421 with the 84cc optional upgrade?? will it hurt the saw. baileys has it for 650. i was looking at the dolmar 7900 with a 36 inch bar, but my local dealer wants 915 for this saw. will the 6421 be as good of a saw. mostly be cutting 20 inch and smaller logs, but want to do it with some authority...lol

hummy35, get the 6421 with the OEM Mahle cylinder. The NWP 84cc is made in Taiwan. The Mahle is a better piston and cylinder kit and the decompression valve will line up with the hole in the hood. I've installed both of them and the Mahle wins hands down on machining tolerances.

Must have been something wrong w/ the carb. I cleaned it again and still had the same problems. Got a new one this morning and she runs like a top. Thanks for the help guys.

Latest posts

Back