Makita 7900 or 6400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
old thread or current thread...lets set the record straight.
i cant remember exact years on most of this so take any years i post as rough estimates.

limited coils:
all early production saws were limited at 13500 and those saws used a different flywheel plus the coils were known to fail. they are no longer available from dolly.
later production saws:
6400 are limited at 13200
7310/7910/EA7300/EA7900 are limited at 12800

carbs:
this whole series....6400/7300/7900 use the exact same carb if they are made in the same year. there are several different versions used tho...DM11 up thru the current DM17 or 18. venturi size is the same for all as far as i can remember however the higher numbered carbs have tamper resistant adjustment screws. every version of these carbs have different base settings so be sure to look in the manual and match your carb number to the manual because early carbs were 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn leaner on the initial settings

i only sell the older DM11 carb because it still uses straight screwdriver for both the high and low adjustment plus it doesnt have the flooding issues of the newer carbs

mufflers:
early production saws...pre 2010 roughly...cant remember the exact year....6400, 7300, 7900
mufflers were all the same...bird cage baffle and relatively small outlet port. approx. 1/2" to 5/8" in diameter

after 2010....6400, 7310, 7910
6400 had a cat muffler and the largest outlet. approx. 3/4"

7310/EA7300
7910/EA7900
SLR muffler on both. 2 different versions. one had a brace that went to the case. newer style(introduced somewhere around 2018) does not have the brace. both styles of the SLR muffler have a very small exhaust outlet...roughly 1/2" in diameter

if given a choice on mufflers to start out with i would take the 6400 cat muffler. outlet size is almost perfect for my taste and the cat is very easy to remove once the muffler is split open.

Good to see your still around Nate, had seen you’d had some bad luck. I hope that year just ends up being a blip in your life and you end up being stronger and better from it.

Ps: The link in your sig isn’t working, do you currently have a website?

If the carbs were all the same, why could the builders not get a big enough flow through
the 6400 carb when they put big bore top ends on them, and yet said the 7900 carb would work.

Because something was wrong with the carb or the “builder” was fos
That could happen, am still trying to find the post, no doubt its on an older computer,
maybe it was ironhorse, not sure.
Are there many other manufacturers that use the same carb on a range of saws from
64cc to 84cc.

That could happen, am still trying to find the post, no doubt its on an older computer,
maybe it was ironhorse, not sure.
Are there many other manufacturers that use the same carb on a range of saws from
64cc to 84cc.
That’s the only platform that spans 15cc from the oem that I know of. The 84cc versions are AM and rarely run as well as the oem 79.

I wouldn’t place much stock in anything IH said. All he has to do is appease the flock, and he manages to do so without much proof.

That’s the only platform that spans 15cc from the oem that I know of. The 84cc versions are AM and rarely run as well as the oem 79.

I wouldn’t place much stock in anything IH said. All he has to do is appease the flock, and he manages to do so without much proof.
I gathered he has a flock of sheeple, no questions asked. Still would like to find the link,
it went into detail, where people put other carbs on to solve the issue, hope it wasn't IH.

This is an old thread, so the OP has probably got the saw sorted since,
I would not try to start that saw using the decomp valve, I flooded the one I had once
and not a seep came out there, its not sealing / popping out as it should.
You could also have a metering valve issue, I would investigate both.
Much to my disgust I sold the saw on…two carb rebuilds (one by me and one by a local shop that are very good) and the problem did not get any better. It used to really wind me up when I’d pack the saw out and it wouldn’t start…often felt like smashing the sh*t out of it. Gutted. I put it on eBay being honest about the starting problem and it went off to Ireland…buyer probably assumed I was just a numpty and didn’t know how to start a saw…I def didn’t know how to start this basta

I gathered he has a flock of sheeple, no questions asked. Still would like to find the link,
it went into detail, where people put other carbs on to solve the issue, hope it wasn't IH.
Just to show that it works well. Here’s a stock 7900 and then the same saw ported. Same carb still works fine even in the ported saw

Much to my disgust I sold the saw on…two carb rebuilds (one by me and one by a local shop that are very good) and the problem did not get any better. It used to really wind me up when I’d pack the saw out and it wouldn’t start…often felt like smashing the sh*t out of it. Gutted. I put it on eBay being honest about the starting problem and it went off to Ireland…buyer probably assumed I was just a numpty and didn’t know how to start a saw…I def didn’t know how to start this basta
Dolmar/Makita realized the problem and there’s an upgraded metering needle spring to solve the problem

Dolmar/Makita realized the problem and there’s an upgraded metering needle spring to solve the problem
that must of came out in the last year because before that....makita was aware of the issue but said it was very rare so they werent concerned with it. spent many hours on the phone with them over the flooding issues with the 5105/7900. and to honest.....7900s were very rare to have the flooding issue. 5105s on the other hand were more common to flood than not

If the carbs were all the same, why could the builders not get a big enough flow through
the 6400 carb when they put big bore top ends on them, and yet said the 7900 carb would work.
disreguard any info you hear about the BB kits. the 84cc kits have absolutely tiny transfer ports and generally dont run near as good as the OEM 7900 topend.

my assumption is the porter didnt know what they were doing with a 7900 and simply blamed the carb because i have seen some absolutely insane 7900s still running the stock carb with no mods. they are a tough saw to port. small case volume on a big cc saw. from my understanding they take someone with some knowledge to actually get big gains out them.

Good to see your still around Nate, had seen you’d had some bad luck. I hope that year just ends up being a blip in your life and you end up being stronger and better from it.

Ps: The link in your sig isn’t working, do you currently have a website?
websites are both shut down at the moment. both of them are geared toward dolly/makita parts and i am currently still fighting with makita to get my dealership back so no point in opening up the websites just yet

Too bad, I would feel the same after that ordeal, but you are probably better off,
with Makita / Dolmar stopping production of gas / petrol saws at the end of this year,
further problems are avoided now.

websites are both shut down at the moment. both of them are geared toward dolly/makita parts and i am currently still fighting with makita to get my dealership back so no point in opening up the websites just yet
I sure hope all goes well and you get back in action again soon.

that must of came out in the last year because before that....makita was aware of the issue but said it was very rare so they werent concerned with it. spent many hours on the phone with them over the flooding issues with the 5105/7900. and to honest.....7900s were very rare to have the flooding issue. 5105s on the other hand were more common to flood than not
Just something I read followed with a picture of the updated spring. Hell it could’ve been a walbro spring for all I know. It may not have been a legitimate factory update at all, just something someone came up with

The Stihl 1115 series (045/56) spans 18cc, 75cc original 045 - 93.4cc Mag II, and the Husky 285/2100, and kinda the 051/075 which spans 22cc.

I bought one of the DM11 carbs off of you and run it on a huztl 372. Been a perfect runner.

Just something I read followed with a picture of the updated spring. Hell it could’ve been a walbro spring for all I know. It may not have been a legitimate factory update at all, just something someone came up with
there is a walbro spring that is stiffer and fixes teh issue. not a dolly fix, not sure where it originally came from but that is the fix i have done on a bunch of them

Latest posts

Back