McCulloch 320 PowerMac help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke.kaim

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi I am new to this site. I have a couple of questions about a McCulloch 320 PowerMac; my first question is how many cc is the engine? When did McCulloch stop making this saw? Is it even possible to find parts anymore? I tried ebay, but did not have a lot of luck finding parts. Why did McCulloch stop making good saws? There older saws are amazing I went on there website in the last week and the saws they have listed now are toys. whats up with that????

Hi I am new to this site. I have a couple of questions about a McCulloch 320 PowerMac; my first question is how many cc is the engine? When did McCulloch stop making this saw? Is it even possible to find parts anymore? I tried ebay, but did not have a lot of luck finding parts. Why did McCulloch stop making good saws? There older saws are amazing I went on there website in the last week and the saws they have listed now are toys. whats up with that????

Welcome! 34.4 cc's 2.1ci, looks like they stopped making them in '87. not sure on this saw, but some of the smaller macs were really hard to work on, like having to take the entire saw apart to get to the carb. But good saws i think

I have three of those around here someplace, two top handles and one rear handle. Two of them ran at one time, one is nearly a complete parts saw. Parts are still available for them from several suppliers. Randy's Engine Repair in Ohio has quite a few hard to find items for them.

I gave up on mine, just too unreliable no matter how much effort I put into keeping them in tip top shape. I replaced the fuel lines on mine and rebuilt the carburetors, and still they were difficult if not near impossible to start. The fuel consumption was too much for my liking, and they never would maintain a smooth idle no matter how much time was spent tuning them. I suspect the crank seals are leaking on both of mine, as they both tend to stall if moved quickly when they are idling, and the idle speed and quality changes constantly after they warm up. When I was using them, they did OK, but the modern saws in my line-up are superior in every respect, start with one or two pulls, and run flawlessly in all areas.

Email me if you need any specific parts, I might have them. I'm going to dump these saws on EBay at some point, just haven't had time....Cliff

The hard start was most likely caused by a poor choke closed position seal.

The erratic idle could be the seals and or the boot. Where the boot engages the carb can leak from shrinkage over the years.

I really like the 320 series but they have a couple of good design elements that were poorly executed and age did not help those.

I never did figure out why either one of them gave the exact same symptoms.

I completely rebuilt the carburetors on both of them, new fuel lines, and cleaned up the tanks. I also replaced the throttle cables.

Both saws ran fine once you got them going. They would idle great for about 20-30 seconds, then start acting like they were going lean, then flooding, going lean, flooding, etc. If you very quickly turned either one of them, they stalled out, so I figured maybe the crank seals were bad?

They both have decent power for the size of the saw, but the one stud bar mount is wimpy, as is the goofy rubber plug over the chain cover.

I fixed them up as once in a while I need a top handle saw. Then I aquired the Echo CS-360T, and haven't ran either one of the Mac's since....Cliff

Power Mac 320 parts

Cliff, regarding your Power Mac 320, do you have the plastic cover that holds the choke in place. This part also has the fast run knob, and access holes for adjusting the carburetor. I’m interested in buying it if you’re parting out one of your 320s.

Thanks,

Back