McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first item is indeed a McCulloch drone engine, many were used later in a "Benson" designed gyro copter. I have one on the floor in the shop that I haven't done anything with, NOS unit suffering from some shelf wear. I need to find a prop or a suitable flywheel for it one day. If I remember from my internet research, the 4 cylinder is rated around 72 HP.

The kart engine does appear to be a McCulloch as well, hard to tell much from the photo but I would guess 49 or 92 series from what I can tell about the shape of the flywheel cover.

IMG_0193.JPG

Mark

I got me one of them Quickie saws, heavy bastard too in real good shape. Great compression, piston and cylinder like new. Also has the tillotson hl-19 manual choke carb. Ill never use it, was thinking of making a regular saw out of it but decided against it. I dont know if these are hard to come by or what? I just got it because it was cheap. Dont have any interest in running it but i dont think it would take much to get going. Still has a good belt on it. The guy said it pretty much set in the fire house for years not being used so they sold it. Looks like it still has all of its decals intact.

12f08a44a4d83255ac8473f8f6a25a5c.jpg
91fe613d5caf0c9a498110303343911b.jpg

692445e63b20df0c8d1a2fb2356bfb15.jpg

88b17bb7255cbce6683f0fc27a41e081.jpg

Good find Nick, usually they have been run hard and put away wet. My Stowe is so shot you have to look as see that the plug is even in it, just spins over so easy.

It takes a good bit of effort and parts to make one a saw again, much easier to wait for a regular 795 and get used to the RH start. There is a 795L (left hand start) but they are a bit rare.

Mark

i have a target saw too, though not as nice. i was thinking of using it on a go kart or motor bicycle, because of the pulley clutch it has.
i have a cp-55 that starts but runs about half speed even with the throttle closed. can't tune it down with idle screw or mixture screws.
that means air leak. it looks like it has a carb boot. could this be the trouble?
i found a boot for a cp-70 on ebay. would that work on the cp-55. from what i can see they look very similar. i don't have the cp-55 apart.
thanks

CP55 and CP70 parts will interchange. The later parts (PM850, PM800, PM805, PM8200, SP60/70/80/81) etc. will all work as well even though some look different than others.

Check to make sure the throttle is actually closing as intended. It could be a simple problem with the linkage, or someone could have switched carburetors and installed one with the internal idle speed adjustment that is not affected but turning the external screw.

Mark

thanks mark for the info on the parts interchangeability.
i took the carb off,which i had just rebuilt. it is a SDC8 with the #79 stamped on the bottom. the idle was closing best i could tell. where and how is this interna idle speed adjusted ? never heard of it before.
i put my pen light in the boot and looked from the outside, i saw light ! it seemed to come from the seam and where it met the metal flange.
i furthur put a tube in the boot and blew in it. i could feel the air from the outside, pretty major crack. guess i'll take it apart. does the tank have to come off ?
gotta get it running right before i can sell it, geez.
update-pulled the tank and sure enough the boot was split almost all the way around.someone had put a dab of silicon on it at one time. guess i'll get a cp-70 boot. it'll be good to hear it selltle into an idle next time i start it.yeah. thanks to all.

Yes, you must remove the fuel tank to get at the boot. Front mount is pretty easy, two 1/4" screws to remove. For the rear you can usually get by just taking out the screws and working the mount out from the choke and oiler linkages. If the mount is really new and stiff you may have to remove the choke linkage to allow you to pull it all apart.

Some of the SDC carburetors utilize an "external" idle speed screw, basically a large diameter screw with a tapered tip that contacts an arm on the throttle linkage. Other SDC carburetors have the idle speed adjust screw built right into the carburetor requiring you to open the AF cover and remove the AF to get at the adjuster screw.

First photo shows the "external" idle speed adjust

DSC05105.1.jpg

And here you can see the "internal" idle speed adjust

DSC00872.1.jpg

Mark

this cp-55 has the external idle adjust & carb like your 1st pic.
i have a SDC on another saw that has the internal type shown in the 2nd photo. now i getcha.
that boot is really thin where it split at the flex point.
thanks again.

I had a visitor from California this weekend; Mike Jackson's dad Robert V Jackson worked as an Engineer (Electrical) at McCulloch for many years and was able to pick up some nice items as the company was moving out of Los Angeles to the Arizona location and I was the beneficiary of some of the collection.

First up - business cards, I.D. badges, 35 mm slides of the development of the 3-10E, campaign buttons, tie tacks, cuff links, service award pins, McCulloch stocking cap, ash trays, inspector stamp, and a McCulloch Realty cup for starters.

IMG_1248.JPG

R.V. Jackson's I.D. badge and Robert P McCulloch's name tag from one of the gatherings.

IMG_1252.JPG

How about an air compressor, shop vac, and a couple more BP-399T's just to be sure I don't run out any time soon. The one on the bench and the drone engine on the floor were already here.

. IMG_1255.JPG

I didn't have a PM850 Super in the collection before, now I do...there was also a like new 3-10E in the lot as well as a moped engine.

IMG_1260.JPG

Amongst the paper work are copies of some of the patents that R.V. Jackson had worked on as well as a congratulatory note with R.P. McCulloch's signature. The bow bar fits the 10 Series McCulloch saws.

IMG_1261.JPG

Lots and lots of really cool stuff here. It will take some days to sort through it all and see just what is all there. The 3-10E and the PM850 Super had both been run previously so I will certainly take them along to a few of the GTG's in the future.

One of these days I will have to retire and work full time on getting all the good stuff I have in appropriate displays...unfortunately that may not be for a few more years yet so for now I will spend a lot of time dreaming.

Mark

Latest posts

Back