McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the 8200 muffler still the same as the 800? My 800 was never that quiet mind you the gasket was gone though. Sounds awesome now with the older type duct.

Still tight Ron I stripped it down a few days ago and good as gold a seamless conversion must be 6 or more tanks now

The muffler is same as far as looks can go. I haven’t checked part numbers though.

Is the 8200 muffler still the same as the 800? My 800 was never that quiet mind you the gasket was gone though. Sounds awesome now with the older type duct.

Still tight Ron I stripped it down a few days ago and good as gold a seamless conversion must be 6 or more tanks now

Glad yours is holding on tight.

As to the late model mufflers, there are two versions. To my knowledge they are pretty much the same internally, just have different mounting - number and type of screws and corresponding mounts (simple holes for the ones that use long through screws and welded “tubes” for those using short screws).

Ron

Glad yours is holding on tight.

As to the late model mufflers, there are two versions. To my knowledge they are pretty much the same internally, just have different mounting - number and type of screws and corresponding mounts (simple holes for the ones that use long through screws and welded “tubes” for those using short screws).

Ron

Ok that's interesting I think the welded tube idea would be good I noticed mine was full of cracks and brazing repairs around those holes. But those long screws were handy though I used 1 of them to make a shorter one through the duct on the conversion. Was easy as just cut it down to the right length and plug welded a nut on it and also spun it in the drill and hit it with the grinder to make it skinny in the middle for better flow. Also fabbed up a thin bit of sheet for a locking tab thingy thing.

Everything is eather locking tab or spring washers and seems to be working good. Its easyer to tune with the duct style I think the four stroking sound is very clear now

Is it lighter I dunno by the time a new shroud is made for air flow I don't think there would much in it. The big muffler is still very thin sheet and doesn't weigh as much as they look.

How so? I always thought they were the same..., Q port and all. I've never looked through the IPL's to compare the details. Now I'm curious.

I rebuilt my PM8200 from the ground up but have never needed to tear down my PM800.

I’ll look through some old photos, I believe there was some differences. Maybe I’m wrong due to my memory issues

Made this post in the wrong forum earlier. Oops

Here’s the only old pic I could find right now. The 8200 cylinder has less fasteners but that may be the same as the some of the other later models. I haven’t had one part in years, they just keep running!

cc7a7cd82eb707cad43e4dc455a082ed.jpg

To tell you the truth,I don't think I can carry one around in the bush all day,maybe a couple hrs.,but that's about it.Even in my younger day when I was fit as a fiddle,& before all my surgeries I'd have a tough time.
Ed

Ed, take your muffler off and check the cylinder with a magnet. Your saw might be a SP125 with a SP125C lid. Or it might be a SP125C with a SP125 handle & tank.

If you have some old geardrives you won’t notice the weight of the 125 so much. I hate lugging mine around, but it is sweet to run. Especially bucking, just sit it on the log and let it eat.

Ron

Back