McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was busy yesterday.I got another 10-10 up & running.All I had to do was rebuild the carb & put a new fuel line in.It seems that no one can make a fuel line that fits snuggly in the tank.I've tried Stens & BBT,neither one had a tight fit,I had to wrap them with teflon tape.Just waiting on a set of bar plates to arrive & I'll put a 20 in.B&C on it.
I've got an issue with a 7-10.I picked the 7-10 up with the aforementioned 10-10 about 3 weeks ago.The 7-10 was more involved as to what I had to do to it.I replaced the carry handle,new fuel line,new chain tensioner,new bar plates,new condenser.I've got spark,good compression,but it won't fire with a prime.Anyone got any ideas?
Ed

Possible reasons why it won't fire on prime. Hopefully I get most of them and you very likely have a bunch covered but worth a check.

Old fuel
Flywheel out of time or wrong flywheel
Large air leak
Low compression. May feel good but worth checking with a gauge if you have one as the 10 series starters don't have a lot of leverage.
Plugged exhaust port
Bad plug that won't fire under compression. Could also be a leaky plug wire that causes the spark to jump to ground under compression.
Excessive plug gap.

Trying to figure out my own oiler situation. Haven't gotten into it yet.. but I do know that the oil tank on my SP81E is full and the B&C is not receiving any oil. Not automatically or manually. The hole where the oil should come out is clear. Not sure about the rest... hoping it is just gunk in the pickup line or a clogged screen.

On another note, here is my custom coffee mug that came in the mail today, courtesy of Vistaprint and my own customization...

The saw logo looks a little lower quality than I would've liked.. but still turned out cool.

That is really cool mate

Possible reasons why it won't fire on prime. Hopefully I get most of them and you very likely have a bunch covered but worth a check.

Old fuel
Flywheel out of time or wrong flywheel
Large air leak
Low compression. May feel good but worth checking with a gauge if you have one as the 10 series starters don't have a lot of leverage.
Plugged exhaust port
Bad plug that won't fire under compression. Could also be a leaky plug wire that causes the spark to jump to ground under compression.
Excessive plug gap.
I'll check the compression.I put a new NGK plug on it.It's got new fuel,it was shipped to me empty.I'll check the exhaust port too.The saw popped for me when I first got it.
Ed

Jethro & I are trying to figure out what he's got on his PM700 for a carb.I went on Acres' site & it says the PM700 has a Walbro 87666.I've never even heard of that model.I went onto Walbro's site & looked up by model,they don't even have the PM700 listed
Ed

Jethro & I are trying to figure out what he's got on his PM700 for a carb.I went on Acres' site & it says the PM700 has a Walbro 87666.I've never even heard of that model.I went onto Walbro's site & looked up by model,they don't even have the PM700 listed
Ed

My PM700 which is a 600061B model and shows carb PN 87666 on the IPL is an SDC-44.

That carb is also called out by Walbro for the 10-10A and 7-10A

Saying that, MAC was not opposed to mix and match on parts on many of their saw models as were many of the manufacturers.

My PM700 which is a 600061B model and shows carb PN 87666 on the IPL is an SDC-44.

That carb is also called out by Walbro for the 10-10A and 7-10A

Saying that, MAC was not opposed to mix and match on parts on many of their saw models as were many of the manufacturers.

Ok mine is the same model number and I can see a 44a on the carb. What year were these from Tim I was guessing late 70s

So is the black and yellow version the same model? Or is that after 88? I always thought that colour scheme came in before then

I have a nice yellow and black one with the grey oil tank. PN was different and apparently the production dates overlap by a long way. The info is from MAC but late in the game so info may be suspect

Black / yellow / grey 700

600116-02 PRO MAC 700 08/82 to 11/92

Both of them pull a 24" bar with authority and both are heavier than a 7-10A

DSCF3169.JPG 700 w sabre bar.JPG

I have a nice yellow and black one with the grey oil tank. PN was different and apparently the production dates overlap by a long way. The info is from MAC but late in the game so info may be suspect

Black / yellow / grey 700

600116-02 PRO MAC 700 08/82 to 11/92

Both of them pull a 24" bar with authority and both are heavier than a 7-10A

View attachment 715703 View attachment 715704

Right so could be any where in those 5 years then.

Its amazing how much that brake and cover adds to the saw

Nice looking saw Tim! I wasn't aware that Mac made grey colored parts till just about a month ago when I was going through an IPL for one of my smaller Macs.I wonder what the reasoning was behind that?
Ed

Edju, i got a saw last year that did that. Ran for the seller, popped for me then nothing. It was the points in my case. Intermittent spark when testing. They werent closing all the time. Tried a nova chip and it fired off. I left the chip in it. Runs like a champ now. CP125.

Thanks Vinny! I haven't tried the chip yet.I'd rather stay away from them if I can.The thing that baffles me is the parts I put in the 10-10 all came out of a parts saw that had spark.I disconnected the switch wire to eliminate the switch & I still have no spark.I'm seriously thinking of taking all the parts off the saw & putting therm back on the parts saw,along with the handle,muffler,bottom shroud,& recoil.I think it'd be best to take a compression test first though.It'll be an all day job changing over everything,I'm a slow worker.Lol
Ed

NorthEast Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

Sad to report that Brian is still down. Haven't felt so hot myself lately. Doc check me for the flu - negative so he put me on an antibiotic. It was raining when I woke this morning so I slept in. Got up late, ventured out and bucked the remaining downed Ash trees, less than 45 minutes of work and less than a tank through one of my 59 cc off brandS. Nothing MAC worthy. Ate a big undeserved lunch. After lunch I was asked to fall a fair size red oak in decline with a sweeping sun-seeking arch. The tree was about 36" at the stump. Readied a PM800 and put the tree down with an amateur Coos Bays. Could not cut as fast as I wanted and split the stump, but that beats an overhead barber chair in my book.

I know a lot of you use semi-chisel for its durability. I run it too from time to time and did so today, but let me tell you that full comp .404 semi-chisel on an 800 is markedly slower than skip .404 square filed. If I could ever get the filing down pat, I would run square more often.

Red Oak down. Squint your eyes and you can see an 800 stuck where the wood splintered.
IMG_4163.JPG

Less squint needed.
IMG_4165.JPG

One ugly stump.
IMG_4161.JPG IMG_4168.JPG

The mighty 800 pinched tight.
IMG_4171.JPG

Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses.

NorthEast Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

Sad to report that Brian is still down. Haven't felt so hot myself lately. Doc check me for the flu - negative so he put me on an antibiotic. It was raining when I woke this morning so I slept in. Got up late, ventured out and bucked the remaining downed Ash trees, less than 45 minutes of work and less than a tank through one of my 59 cc off brandS. Nothing MAC worthy. Ate a big undeserved lunch. After lunch I was asked to fall a fair size red oak in decline with a sweeping sun-seeking arch. The tree was about 36" at the stump. Readied a PM800 and put the tree down with an amateur Coos Bays. Could not cut as fast as I wanted and split the stump, but that beats an overhead barber chair in my book.

I know a lot of you use semi-chisel for its durability. I run it too from time to time and did so today, but let me tell you that full comp .404 semi-chisel on an 800 is markedly slower than skip .404 square filed. If I could ever get the filing down pat, I would run square more often.

Red Oak down. Squint your eyes and you can see an 800 stuck where the wood splintered.
View attachment 715907

Less squint needed.
View attachment 715911

One ugly stump.
View attachment 715909 View attachment 715912

The mighty 800 pinched tight.
View attachment 715910

Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses.

Nice Ron love the Sunday morning read thank you. Is that a 24 on the 800?

Latest posts

Back