McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the middle of trying to transfer my main saw bench activity from my garage to a shop area in my barn that has been a very slow work in progress since last year. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure Mark started his whole project after I started my little endeavor. LOL But hey, I'm just a one man band with limited resources to put toward something like this and it just gets pecked at a little here and there as I'm able to find the time these days. The first thing I did last year was install the boxwood stove, but now I'll be working in the cold getting the wall and heat shield up before I can use it this year. (Yes. Everything I do is carefully planned. Ha!) So anyway, a large number of my saws used to occupy a portion of this area. They're now all over the place where I'd normally park my truck. Quite a mess as things currently stand and I definitely have my work cut out over the winter which includes building a floor where there used to be a stall. Concrete is out of the question economically so I'm just going to frame it in, paint it gray, and pretend it's cement. A few pics showing the challenges at hand..., and some 10 series saws for good measure since that's what prompted me to take the pics in the first place. Just got a little sidetracked.

That's quite the collection Poge. You have a fairly even spread of many colors.

I'm in the middle of trying to transfer my main saw bench activity from my garage to a shop area in my barn that has been a very slow work in progress since last year. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure Mark started his whole project after I started my little endeavor. LOL But hey, I'm just a one man band with limited resources to put toward something like this and it just gets pecked at a little here and there as I'm able to find the time these days. The first thing I did last year was install the boxwood stove, but now I'll be working in the cold getting the wall and heat shield up before I can use it this year. (Yes. Everything I do is carefully planned. Ha!) So anyway, a large number of my saws used to occupy a portion of this area. They're now all over the place where I'd normally park my truck. Quite a mess as things currently stand and I definitely have my work cut out over the winter which includes building a floor where there used to be a stall. Concrete is out of the question economically so I'm just going to frame it in, paint it gray, and pretend it's cement. A few pics showing the challenges at hand..., and some 10 series saws for good measure since that's what prompted me to take the pics in the first place. Just got a little sidetracked.

That is a big project you got going there. A little at a time is about the only way to tackle something like that. Before you know it you'll be done. Ron

Got a question regarding Mac 10-10A. A friend of mine has the saw and wants to get it running again. He used it a few months ago to cut up some limbs but now it will not start. It is not getting any fire from the coil to the spark plug. We have did a little research and found several recommendations to install a electronic ignition (chip) to do away with the obsolete points & condenser as they are possibly the culprit and are apparently unavailable to get replacements. This brings us to the question of if we go this route what type of coil do we need to get that will work with the chip?

Points are definately available on ebay. Did you try cleaning them and gapping properly? Is the wireing still in tact? Kill switch issue? Thats a few things to check. If you go the chip route the coil you have will work just fine. No need to replace it. Find a good place to mount the chip, wire it correctly and pull.

I cut at the wood lot today as Ron took the day off. It poured the rain all day on my son and I. I used a PM10-10 that I had never had out before. No good reason for that, but just one of those things. My son started out cutting with a PM6 but the chain was dull and I did not have another chain. I thought I did but turns out it was too short? Thought both of my PM6s had the same chain. I will have to investigate this. He then cut with a off brand saw until hitting the concrete with it and swapped out to another PM10-10 that I had brought. So it was a PM10-10 type of day. It never ceases to amaze me just how well these saws perform and how durable they are. I had to keep wiping the chip scream with my hand hoping to get enough air flow to keep it from over heating. Much of the time the chip screen was completely clogged with wet chips. At times it was raining so hard that I thought my saw was going to drown out. At one point I had to pull my air filter off and shake the water out of it and pour the water out, but the mighty PM10-10 never quit going. The only problem I had was it quit oiling because the chips had clogged the oil passageway in the bar.

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

As you can see there was still water in the air box. The air filter was just soaked.

IMG_0267.JPG

IMG_0268.JPG

Brian

Todays find at the local swapmeet, seller only wanted $20 for it, i couldnt buy it quick enough.
Turns over nice with good compression but no spark yet.
Real nice AV, much the same as the CP125.

View attachment 775368

Ya jammy swine you stole that saw haha

Got a question regarding Mac 10-10A. A friend of mine has the saw and wants to get it running again. He used it a few months ago to cut up some limbs but now it will not start. It is not getting any fire from the coil to the spark plug. We have did a little research and found several recommendations to install a electronic ignition (chip) to do away with the obsolete points & condenser as they are possibly the culprit and are apparently unavailable to get replacements. This brings us to the question of if we go this route what type of coil do we need to get that will work with the chip?

I've bought points new off EBay and one saw it was the condenser, which i think any generic one would work.

I cut at the wood lot today as Ron took the day off. It poured the rain all day on my son and I. I used a PM10-10 that I had never had out before. No good reason for that, but just one of those things. My son started out cutting with a PM6 but the chain was dull and I did not have another chain. I thought I did but turns out it was too short? Thought both of my PM6s had the same chain. I will have to investigate this. He then cut with a off brand saw until hitting the concrete with it and swapped out to another PM10-10 that I had brought. So it was a PM10-10 type of day. It never ceases to amaze me just how well these saws perform and how durable they are. I had to keep wiping the chip scream with my hand hoping to get enough air flow to keep it from over heating. Much of the time the chip screen was completely clogged with wet chips. At times it was raining so hard that I thought my saw was going to drown out. At one point I had to pull my air filter off and shake the water out of it and pour the water out, but the mighty PM10-10 never quit going. The only problem I had was it quit oiling because the chips had clogged the oil passageway in the bar.

View attachment 775373

View attachment 775375

View attachment 775376

As you can see there was still water in the air box. The air filter was just soaked.

View attachment 775377

View attachment 775378

Brian

You must of really wanted to cut! I imagine you got the same rain SC did and I worked in the shed all day.
That 10 series saw is tuff like Chuck Norris tuff ! I gauge their reputation on the complete lack of maintenance I receive them in since I get the bulk of my saws from scrap yards ,flea markets and old shops . I only buy parts on EBay.
I can only imagine how disappointed the guys are who discard their old 10-10s after 2 or 3 generations of continuous use with absolutely no maintenance for a new saw, " Hey Bubba my saw dont work ! Only used I for a year! @#$%&!" And it cost me 1100.00$!?. Where's your 10-10 mac?"

We're our worst critics, looks like you're doing great! Color wheel of saws is fantastic!

You must of really wanted to cut! I imagine you got the same rain SC did and I worked in the shed all day.
That 10 series saw is tuff like Chuck Norris tuff ! I gauge their reputation on the complete lack of maintenance I receive them in since I get the bulk of my saws from scrap yards ,flea markets and old shops . I only buy parts on EBay.
I can only imagine how disappointed the guys are who discard their old 10-10s after 2 or 3 generations of continuous use with absolutely no maintenance for a new saw, " Hey Bubba my saw dont work ! Only used I for a year! @#$%&!" And it cost me 1100.00$!?. Where's your 10-10 mac?"

Ron and I have cut in rain and snow, mud and dust, heat and cold. We don't just play with these saws, they are used, and used hard. We do not baby them, they are put in some rough places. During season we cut a lot of wood and these MAC's just keep on going. They were the king of saws in there day and 20+ years later will cut with the best saws made. They may not have all of the things that a modern saw has, but they have many of them. Every time I take the SP125c out and buck with it, it just amazes me how smooth and powerful that saw is and how easy it starts and operates. The PM800, what a great saw. Those things rock. And as we were talking about, the 10-10. The longest production saw MAC ever built. What I put it through yesterday not many modern saws would have kept going. I have dropped them, them roll down the hill and it still be running when it stopped. The little PM6 that my son used yesterday. Starts good and pulls better than any saw of it's size I have ever used. Ron got his PM800 stuck once in a good sized oak log. We had just fell the tree and I had the PM6 out limning the tree while Ron was bucking it. I set my PM6 down and went after my PM610 to cut Ron out. When I got back he already had his saw out using the little PM6. I think it even surprised him how well it cut and him being able to cut himself out with that little saw. I think one of the first saws that Ron ever used as a youngster. I was out cutting with a friend and his Stihl 029 had gotten dull and he picked up my PM10-10S and started cutting with it. He is one of these people that what ever he has is the best and what you have is junk. When we took a rest break he was like WOW!!! that is a hell of a saw. We was out another time and he picked up my PM6 and again was like I want one of those. Never seen a small saw cut like that. He has never cut with my PM800, if he did he would be a MAC person. As I said before, in there day they were the king of saws and even now days they are still
competitive with new saws. Not a whole lot of improvements have been made on saws sense the later model MACs were produced. Ron has a PM800 that is his go to saw. It has many miles on it and it just keeps on going. I have a couple old PM10-10s that I have acquired that have had a rough life and still have plenty of life left in them. Heck you can pick up a 10-10 at yard sales for 20.00, clean the carb and cut with them for ever.

Brian

Ron and I have cut in rain and snow, mud and dust, heat and cold. We don't just play with these saws, they are used, and used hard. We do not baby them, they are put in some rough places. During season we cut a lot of wood and these MAC's just keep on going. They were the king of saws in there day and 20+ years later will cut with the best saws made. They may not have all of the things that a modern saw has, but they have many of them. Every time I take the SP125c out and buck with it, it just amazes me how smooth and powerful that saw is and how easy it starts and operates. The PM800, what a great saw. Those things rock. And as we were talking about, the 10-10. The longest production saw MAC ever built. What I put it through yesterday not many modern saws would have kept going. I have dropped them, them roll down the hill and it still be running when it stopped. The little PM6 that my son used yesterday. Starts good and pulls better than any saw of it's size I have ever used. Ron got his PM800 stuck once in a good sized oak log. We had just fell the tree and I had the PM6 out limning the tree while Ron was bucking it. I set my PM6 down and went after my PM610 to cut Ron out. When I got back he already had his saw out using the little PM6. I think it even surprised him how well it cut and him being able to cut himself out with that little saw. I think one of the first saws that Ron ever used as a youngster. I was out cutting with a friend and his Stihl 029 had gotten dull and he picked up my PM10-10S and started cutting with it. He is one of these people that what ever he has is the best and what you have is junk. When we took a rest break he was like WOW!!! that is a hell of a saw. We was out another time and he picked up my PM6 and again was like I want one of those. Never seen a small saw cut like that. He has never cut with my PM800, if he did he would be a MAC person. As I said before, in there day they were the king of saws and even now days they are still
competitive with new saws. Not a whole lot of improvements have been made on saws sense the later model MACs were produced. Ron has a PM800 that is his go to saw. It has many miles on it and it just keeps on going. I have a couple old PM10-10s that I have acquired that have had a rough life and still have plenty of life left in them. Heck you can pick up a 10-10 at yard sales for 20.00, clean the carb and cut with them for ever.

Brian

You guys are doing a great job !, and obviously use your Mccullochs alot.
Between firewood and dropping Hazardous tree's at work I don't use mine nearly as often as I'd like or as much as you guys.
I started out with a hand me down 10-10 automatic , a Pro 700 , and my Dad's super2 Homelite. You can imagine my disappointment when I started using other saw brands , seriously had to ease up on them and change my cutting style . The Pro Mac 700 is probably my favorite saw all around 10 series, but the others are simply great.

You guys are doing a great job !, and obviously use your Mccullochs alot.
Between firewood and dropping Hazardous tree's at work I don't use mine nearly as often as I'd like or as much as you guys.
I started out with a hand me down 10-10 automatic , a Pro 700 , and my Dad's super2 Homelite. You can imagine my disappointment when I started using other saw brands , seriously had to ease up on them and change my cutting style . The Pro Mac 700 is probably my favorite saw all around 10 series, but the others are simply great.

I was kind of the opposite. I started out in the day of the old Homelite. I grew up in the back wood and we had a Homelite dealer in town but to get a MAC you had to drive 25 miles or more to Hazard or Prestonsberg. My Uncle would make that drive but my dad would not. Now I know why he made that trip. We own a telephone company and a cable TV company and had Homelite saws. I know now days that no one in the small town knew how to tune them being the reason we had so much trouble with them. I can remember getting one started and not letting it quit until the job was done. I have actually put the thing in the seat beside me reeving it as I drove down the road because I know if it quit I would be using an axe to cut the rest of the day. I took that saw and started it before I went up the hill to cut a tree off the line in a pouring rain storm in the middle of the night just to get to the telephone line and it not start. I flung that thing over the hill to never see it again. So I did not really like old saws until I got an old MAC 10-10 and got hooked up with Ron and seen that they were good saws that could keep up with new saws. I now like the old saws. I now know my troubles with the old Homelites were just no one in the area knew how to tune them. I have a Husky 262XP, a good saw but my MACs will start better than the new saws. Just now days I really like my old MACs. The marvel of how advanced they were for there time.
Mtc. Supervisor, Get you a PM800 and you will fall in love with it. Your 700 is a great saw, but the 800 is head and shoulders above it. Just such a sweet saw to run. So refined and so smooth.

Brian

The old Mac's certainly live for a very long time most of mine have already seen out 1 or 2 owners days with zero or minimal maintenance. I pick em up from scrap or whatever give them a birthday and then they will probably see out mine too.

I've cut a huge amount of wood with a handful of them this last 6 months and the only problems I had was a carb went silly and a few screws here n there that's it.

The 70cc saws get the call most of the time there just a good all rounder saw light enough to limb a toss around and heaps of grunt.

Ron says they just sound like a saw to him well to us younger guys who haven't grown up with them they sound absolutely amazing like a motocross bike in the trees.

Maint sup and Brian need to hunt you guys down a 7-10

800 with all 32 inches of stihl full comp rs chain buried to its bollocks.

Crazy loud it has the old style duct and a very open homebrew cover on it. Need plugs and muffs if on it all day

@PogoInTheWoods, what's the second closest Mac in the last pic? I've got one that looks just like it, except it's LOTS dirtier and is missing the ID tag so I have no clue what it is.

RH 10-10 (or maybe Super 10-10?). No tag on mine either and it doesn't look like it ever had one. Carb is SDC 37A with an 8-75 date stamp which would be way too new for the RH start saws. The all black no knob air filter cover and tank top with no labeling suggests one thing but the style of muffler suggests something else in typical Mac tradition. Not sure what era the Mac 10 bars were introduced either. 26107 stamp on the crankcase. Haven't really dug into it. Real good condition for its age and was supposed to be all original according to the previous and original owner. Now I'm curious about it, too.

As for the rest of my clutter, that's what happens if you're not careful. Rationalized it as "something to do when I retired". Now that I am, I'm so busy I don't know how I got anything done before, (but I sure as hell found the time to chase down any CL saw ad that seemed to have promise!). LOL Been awhile since I bought anything and the last one was another 10-10. Now that's just flat out crazy at every level, ain't it? And just about everything in the pics are projects. Still waiting for a 7-10 and a PM850 to roll my way and then I'll be done..., I think.

Latest posts

Back