McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I'd be very interested in a McCulloch 650 (that's if it's the 'old' style 650, and not of the 610 family like the Wards branded saw that Mark pictured above) if you want to part with it after you pick it up. Same for a 660...

Nope, not the old style 650. I wish, my luck can't be that good.

Jerry

Thought I would post this over here on the McCulloch thread, got a chain that has PRO ,.. McCulloch on it and a number 30 on the raker, has strange bumps on it sort of like a safety chain, anyone know what it was called?

alaska%202010%20190.jpg

The light was not good for taking clear picts tonight in the shop, the flourescent long bulbs don`t seem to make good light for picts.

Pioneerguy600

Mac 2-10

Anyone have an IPL for a Mac 2-10...not sure what I was thinking....got it on ebay for 50 bucks, free shipping....not my proudest moment...should be here in a week or so.

I know I'd be very interested in a McCulloch 650 (that's if it's the 'old' style 650, and not of the 610 family like the Wards branded saw that Mark pictured above) if you want to part with it after you pick it up. Same for a 660...

I assume by the old style you are talking about the gear drive. If so I have one here that I could part with.

Bill

oversize gas cap ?

attachment.php
attachment.php
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=156566&stc=1&d=1288753895[/IMG]i have a mac gas cap that is too big for any of my saws. it has the two valve system with inlet vent and pressure relief valve. trouble is it is about .050" greater in dia. across the threads keeping it from fitting a 797,795 ,1-71 and 55, while all their caps fit each other. did they make different size caps that were that close in size ? what was this cap originally from. it works really well. i wonder what type of threads it uses. it measures about 1.760" across the threads. the ones that fit are 1.720".

Adjusting the little Bullfrog carb in this 2-10 is a PITA... weird setup.

Gary

At idle you adjust the needle for the proper mixture. Then at full throttle you adjust the position of the throttle (+/- 7° from horizontal) to adjust the position of the needle in the orifice to control fuel flow at full speed. If you look at the screws you will find an adjustable "throttle stop" labled "Hi Mix" or something like that.

They are quite different, no doubt about it.

Mark

attachment.php
attachment.php
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=156566&stc=1&d=1288753895[/IMG]i have a mac gas cap that is too big for any of my saws. it has the two valve system with inlet vent and pressure relief valve. trouble is it is about .050" greater in dia. across the threads keeping it from fitting a 797,795 ,1-71 and 55, while all their caps fit each other. did they make different size caps that were that close in size ? what was this cap originally from. it works really well. i wonder what type of threads it uses. it measures about 1.760" across the threads. the ones that fit are 1.720".

I have two of those caps, and they fit my 797 and Super 250 just fine. I also have the standard duckbill type witch goes into either saw.

thanks brian-i'll see if i can get a thread file and take it down a little. looks to be about 12 tpi. it is also about .012" out of round. it was in there once but needs two hands to go in now.

At idle you adjust the needle for the proper mixture. Then at full throttle you adjust the position of the throttle (+/- 7° from horizontal) to adjust the position of the needle in the orifice to control fuel flow at full speed. If you look at the screws you will find an adjustable "throttle stop" labled "Hi Mix" or something like that.

They are quite different, no doubt about it.

Mark

Here is my confusion Mark... first is this contraption circled in Red... LOL

attachment.php

Then I'm trying to figure out if this is correct:

Red line = Hi. Mix.

Blue line = Lo. Speed

Orange line = Lo. Mix.

attachment.php

I might have the Blue and Orange backwards. When I got the saw the screw I have labeled with the Red line was turned almost all the way out. So I bottomed it gently, and then went 1 1/2 turns out. It now starts easier and runs way better than when I got it.

But it just fall on its face if i hit the throttle...

Gary

Yes is can be confusing at first.

Understand that as you open the throttle, the long needle is being extracted from the fuel orifice, allowing more fuel as well as more air.

The Lo Mix (orange) basically set the minimum throttle position when the saw is at idle and controls the air flow.*

From there you adjust the Lo Speed (blue) to obtain a good idle and acceleration off idle

By adjusting the Hi Mix (red) you control the position of the throttle at wide open (+/- 7° of horizontal) which in turn affects how far the needle is extracted at WOT, therefore controlling the fuel flow/mixture at full throttle.

The attached documents describe all of this in more detail, including basic adjustments.

Have fun.

Mark

* If you look closely you will see the the throttle linkage just operates a sort of yoke that engages the roll pin that actually moves the throttle. The idle speed governer is then free to open the throttle is the speed drops, and air flowing over the throttle plate pushes it closed again when the engines speeds up and moves more air through the carburetor.

Last edited:
Mark...thanks alot...I would give you more rep...but it tells me to share it around some more....thanks.

Well I got tired of messin' with the carb on the 2-10. I think the spring on the governor is worn out. It lets the monkey motion that holds the Lo Speed needle flop around a lot... So I can't get the saw to idle daown worth a darn. Runs great. But I can't get it to idle unless I hold the lever against the carb. I even set the spring to the tightest setting on the governor. I'll mess with it more later.

Sooooo... I decided to play with the big 640 and get the sprocket off of the damn thing. Also mounted the dog and mounted the bar and .404 chain.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Gary

Latest posts

Back