McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update ion the PM60.

I did a little peeking as my back is sore from standing too long today. The cylinder was very dry but I don't see any scoring. I put a little oil in the cylinder which raises compression beyond what it should be but it feels very good. The saw is complete.
As I suspected from the auction pics the muffler cover is done but the duct seems solid. I can't see the bottom so who knows.

There is a little corrosion on the bottom of the clutch cover (they sit flat on the floor) and a bit on the bottom of the starter cover but not bad. It will clean up, The fuel tank is empty and clean.
The manual oiler works but the oil in there is pretty thick so I figure it's been in there for years. It has the correct carb (SDC 49) on it and the air filter is clean.

The starter is squawking some so any lube in there has turned to goo.

It has spark.

I came with two chains and the heels on the straps are worn down so I'm guessing the auto oiler is not working.

The bar slot is so worn a harvester chain might fit in there. It's a MAC bar by Oregon and the chains are McCulloch.

I'll post some pics once I get it cleaned up.

I think it's been sitting for many years as any oil on it is almost like dried grease.

I did a little research on the owners as it was an estate sale auction.

The wife died last June at age 91 and she and her husband were married for 68 years. He is still alive but since all was sold I'm guessing he's in an old folks home.

The fuel line even feels pretty good.

I think for $24.89 plus my gas to pick it up I did OK.

Good score Tim I'm sure if the old boy knew it was being saved he would be a very happy man.

He may well be the original owner too

NorthEast Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

Beautiful day in North East Tennessee today. Brian and Lee were cutting in the log piles at the lot when I arrived late. I had to load and fuel the Deere and do some other tasks before I could get there. We cut until lunch. I ran my 800 but was struggling with a dead maple that kept binding my chain - it had my bar smoking despite good oiling and a reasonably sharp chain. Brian handed me his China-com 660 which I have to admit is pretty stout as in it felt stronger than my 800, but it would just chatter and jump. I ultimately flipped the log with the tractor and finished the cuts without any fanfare with the 800.

After a great meal of spiral cut ham, mashed potatoes, green beans, rolls and dessert, we felled 8 trees. I called it a day and headed for my second job of helping the girls clean out the attic. Cutting is more fun. But you can't beat time with your family. Brian and Lee were going to do some bucking and then head home.

Sorry I took no pictures today so again I have dug into the archives of Blind Squirrel Falling for some photos. And again an upfront apology to those who have seen them before now. These photos predate my acquaintance with Brian.

January 2014 - the tree that discouraged me the most and made me rethink my work with the Wood Ministry.
Loaded for work. Two 125s and an 800. Oh, and an off-brand.
IMG_3584.JPG

Mid-way through.
IMG_3586.JPG

End of a long hard day.
IMG_3587.JPG
I decided after this tree that I was not going to do any more yard jobs for folks who could afford to hire it out unless there was an offsetting pile of firewood going to the wood lot.

February 2014 - a large red oak covered in poison oak. MAC 125. Not only did I get a small dose of poison oak, I also tore my right rotator cuff and bicep. Didn't know I had really hurt myself until many months later.
IMG_3612.JPG

February 2014 One of my funnest falling jobs with the 800. From the many trees, this was my favorite that day.
IMG_3626.JPG

March 2014 Large Red Oak . MAC 125
IMG_3645.JPG

To be Continued another day.
Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses

NorthEast Tennessee Saturday MAC Report

PM800 and bar survived to cut another day. Still haven't fixed the chain though.
IMG_3663.JPG

Ron

This valuable report is provided through the the generous support of MacNuts like you and Blind Squirrel Falling, one of America's greatest imaginary businesses

I got a few pictures of todays cutting. I started out cutting with my PM800 but felt that it was not oiling. After running a couple tanks of fuel I switched over to the chinacom saw. It should feel a little more powerful, it is a 92cc with a big bore kit on it. Somewhere around 94cc and it also is pulling a 3/8" chain while Ron and my PM800s are pulling .404 chains. My son started out cutting with a PM140 until the logs got too big for it and he switched over to my PM10-10.

Any way here is a few pictures I snapped until Ron looked directly into the lens and now I have to find a camera repair service....HaHaHa

IMG_0318.JPG

The wood lot first thing this morning. Never mind the thumb in the right side of the picture.

IMG_0320.JPG

Ron hard at work on the ground while I worked from the top of the wood pile.

IMG_0321.JPG

IMG_0322.JPG

Ron wondering if that log was that tuff or is he cutting into his grapple.

IMG_0323.JPG

This is the log that Ron was talking about I think. It was one tuff customer. I was cutting the other side and it was only half a log and the chinacom went right on thru but not on this side.

Brian

More

IMG_0338.JPG

Now, these next pictures are some I bet Ron does not want me to post.

IMG_0339.JPG

See where his PM800 is and the off brand he has in his hands. Yep, Stuck saw. He had sawed it almost into, It had a bad lean to it and he was trying to pull it more down hill to keep from hitting other trees and damaging other trees. He drove wedge after wedge but to no avail it would not fall. So we discussed it and I talked him into taking a slice out of the face cut, we had it wedged where it really should have been cut. So he tried and bang it bit down. Had no other choice than to cut it out.

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

Brian

The logs he and I both bucked today in the wood lot were just gnarly, knotted up messes. I saw Ron at one point holding his bar up to a stump and checking to see if his chain was oiling and I took my bar off at one point and cleaned it thinking that was my problem. I just think these knotted up messes were just so tuff and dry that it was sucking the oil off the chain.

At one point I did lean Ron's PM800 just a touch on the high end and enriched it out on the low. It was not coming up to full speed and not wanting to idle well. Not sure it helped it, might have to adjust it again.

Brian

That little "highly valuable" walnut wore us out. Due to the lean, I put the back cut in first. Should have made a thinner hinge but you cannot get back in once the wedges are set. Brian and I beat on it and beat on it - you can see I had to take my shirt off to cool down. Trimmed the edge of the hinge on one side but didn't want to stand on the other side when the tree began to fall due to an overhanging dead limb. So we decided to try and trim it from the front though it would create a Dutchman. As I predicted I wasn't fast enough to get the saw out. Decided my saw was worth more than a little tree damage so the second attempt was more in line with where it appeared gravity would take it. Darn if it didn't clear the trees I was trying so hard to steer around with the first cut. Just living up to the name - Blind Squirrel Falling.

Not sure how Brian managed to take photos at the lot without the pictures including other folks. There were probably 20 other folks on-site bucking, splitting and loading.

Ron

Hi Lee. How are you keeping?
Hi Tim,

Keeping well thanks. Not been doing much with saws this year, sold a few box store saws. Without a cottage now saws don't have the same attraction. I'll spend the winter cleaning up and selling off some more.

Hoping that you and yours have a super Christmas.

Is there a Christmas give away this year>

Buzy day for blind squirrel good to see and please don't be shy at posting old pictures Ron.

I got 1 picture today I spent all weekend cutting up a blow down black poplar. Not my favorite firewood but it's ok to mix in here n there or on those chilly spring or autumn evenings and helps my mates who start running out of wood too and its easy splitting easy cutting

20191208_122350.jpg
Finally run Frank the hot rod 10-10 and wow what a fun saw it goes really well I'm impressed it's very light it's a great saw. Doesn't have that raw monster torque to it like the 7-10s but if ya keep it on the pipe it really cuts well and it still has a big wide power band and doesn't fall on its face like a modern saw.

It feels like a real souped up 10-10 and I can't imagine it's just the 3cc it's got to be ported differently or something.

sounds amazing out this thing but I am thinking of fabbing up a duct
20191130_112922.jpg
Also ran the 7-10 from Sean and yeah it's a dam fine saw thank you Sean thank you very much.

Both the new 7-10 and the 10-10S are running the tillotson fixed hi jet carbs they really could do with rebuilds the low on the 7-10 is wandering about abit and the carb on the S is a little lean for my liking it used to live on my other good 7-10 and was a tad lean on that too I used to run the low fairly fat to compensate

Latest posts

Back