MS 250 Carb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone told me that the Walbro used on the 025 was a better carb than the Zama used on the later 250.
I nearly bought a genuine Stihl, made in China, Zama from a Stihl dealer, only to find that the butterfly had been put in off centre/wrong way round and wouldnt close properly
At around $100 here for one of them, I dont think that the quality control by Stihl is up to much on these carbs. There are genuine Walbro branded carbs on ebay for around $40 though the holes in the cover for the adjustment screws might have to be drilled, but otherwise people seem to think it will fit a 250. The Walbro number is WT-215.
Or you can get a Chinese copy of either one on ebay for even less....people seem to think they work/last ok, I think. Hard to see how it could be worse than the unusable genuine!
That's as much as I know.

Walbro.
They are designed without an accelerator pump, which the Zama version has.
The tiny pumps are actuated by a flat on the throttle shaft, which wear over time, creating a leak, resulting in a stumble during acceleration.
The aftermarket ones I've used are a copy of the Walbro, and include High speed adjustments, and work great.
I had a teacher at Stihl once illustrate the Zama accelerator pump failure by taking a razor blade and cutting the o-ring on the plunger just enough to create an air leak .

Walbro.
The tiny pumps are actuated by a flat on the throttle shaft, which wear over time, creating a leak, resulting in a stumble during acceleration.
The aftermarket ones I've used are a copy of the Walbro, and include High speed adjustments, and work great.
I had a teacher at Stihl once illustrate the Zama accelerator pump failure by taking a razor blade and cutting the o-ring on the plunger just enough to create an air leak .

Thx, that's exactly what happens.

Walbro.

Have used the copies on two 025`s that would not work right even with a rebuild, the new copies work great, absolutely no issues.

Walbro.

This one has a Zama, can I just switch it over to the walbro 215

Thx

I'm wondering if the genuine Walbro's on ebay are really genuine or just the same as the other copies but with a bigger mark up.
The 'genuine' ones on there usually have a picture of a Walbro box but I guess that's no guarantee.
As people seem to be happy with the Walbro copies, I might just get one of them instead, as I just rebuilt my Zama and even after tuning, it idles roughly.

This one has a Zama, can I just switch it over to the walbro 215

Thx
From what I have been told, yes, but you will either have to drill new holes in the case to access the adjustment screws or adjust from the inside by taking off the rubber cover thing.
You also still need to find out the correct part number if your saw is a bulb version or an easy start version as those carbs whilst still being Zama or Walbro, are different.
Plus the tuning may be different....on the Zama I think one screw is a full turn and the other is 3/4 and on the Walbro it may be different.

I'm wondering if the genuine Walbro's on ebay are really genuine or just the same as the other copies but with a bigger mark up.
The 'genuine' ones on there usually have a picture of a Walbro box but I guess that's no guarantee.
As people seem to be happy with the Walbro copies, I might just get one of them instead, as I just rebuilt my Zama and even after tuning, it idles roughly.

It's an older version, about 12 years old.
ef69af6070d969c60f8b7b9492890a78.jpg
b38e38f816697658c55b5c302792fe4a.jpg
e1f484744fc069c7e5721907f0a24e8e.jpg

You are going to have to take the carby off anyway unless your saw still works and you need to use it. So if you want to reassure yourself before ordering, take the carby off (youtube will show you how to do it) and get the numbers off it and do a search on the net with those numbers.
The bog standard (non easy start or non bulb version) are all interchangeable with only the adjustment screws in different places and probably different tuning regime.

I always replace the originals with Walbro carbs that are of the conventional style, fully adjustable. I've tried rebuilding the Zama originals and they didn't turn out very well. My 250 came with a primer bulb but I removed it and blocked off the pipes. I usually forget to use the primer anyway except on my Lawn Boy. If it has a choke it shouldn't need a primer bulb, my Lawn Boy doesn't have a choke.

I bought a copy and nowhere on it does it say "Walbro". I imagine the kits for the copy and the Walbro are the same.

I bought a copy and nowhere on it does it say "Walbro". I imagine the kits for the copy and the Walbro are the same.

Saw one on ebay from a seller in Hong Kong which had Walbro on the carb body, but no pic of box...
only about $10...dont think the listing claimed that it was genuine though.

Back