Another 357xp carb question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BirdDawg3205

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all. Working on a 357xp as stated in the title. It has the dreaded Walbro HD199 carb on it, and is showing all the symptoms that I've read about on here when that carb takes a crap. I've read that the Zama C3-EL42 is a replacement, but requires another part for it to fit. What is involved in putting on this extra flange or whatever it is?Am I understanding all the readings correctly?

If so, is there a direct "plug and play" replacement for the 199?

Thanks, in advance.

Hi all. Working on a 357xp as stated in the title. It has the dreaded Walbro HD199 carb on it, and is showing all the symptoms that I've read about on here when that carb takes a crap. I've read that the Zama C3-EL42 is a replacement, but requires another part for it to fit. What is involved in putting on this extra flange or whatever it is?Am I understanding all the readings correctly?

If so, is there a direct "plug and play" replacement for the 199?

Thanks, in advance.
TTT

Patience is a virtue, especially when it comes to fixing chainsaws.
My understanding was the EL-42 was a drop in replacement for the Walbro but I haven't had to swap one so can't attest to that. Checking & comparing the older & newer IPL's should provide the information you are looking for.
All the HD-199 carbs I have had issues with responded well to tree monkey's fix which is discussed in detail on youtube & in multiple other threads here.
If I were in the situation that I had to replace the carb I'd be opting for the zama so please keep us posted with your findings

Patience is a virtue, especially when it comes to fixing chainsaws.
My understanding was the EL-42 was a drop in replacement for the Walbro but I haven't had to swap one so can't attest to that. Checking & comparing the older & newer IPL's should provide the information you are looking for.
All the HD-199 carbs I have had issues with responded well to tree monkey's fix which is discussed in detail on youtube & in multiple other threads here.
If I were in the situation that I had to replace the carb I'd be opting for the zama so please keep us posted with your findings
That’s what I did with my 359. No issues since watching TM’s vid

Back