best ms 250 carb?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BirdDawg3205

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all. Can y'all give me a suggestion and part number for what carb would be best on a ms 250 that I was given and am tinkering with? It has a Zama on it now. Shall I replace it with another Zama.... or a Walbro.... or what? What is available and which one would you recommend?

Thanks!

Hi, and thanks. I read that about the Zamas in another thread, but didn't know if that was just one persons opinion.

Zama C1Q-S76 is most common carburetor used on MS250 and newest models use C1Q-S242. S76 limiter cap on H screw can be easily adjusted with carburetor off. S242 has limiters on H and L screws. Walbro WT-215 is very good and was used on prior 021/023/025 models. WT-215 is fully adjustable but adjusting screws are right next to each other versus Zama 076/242 carburetors screws are 1/2 inch apart. MS250 rubber grommet holding vent will not fit WT-215 and you will need to modify orange cover to adjust L screw.

Haven't used the Walbro yet but the Zamas on the 250's I've worked on had no issues. Also have a c1q on a small mac and it runs fine.
you can get cheap kits like this if you decide to put one in it.

Update....

I replaced the carb with a new OEM Zama (that is what the dealer had in stock). I also replaced the impulse line, fuel line, fuel filter, fuel tank vent and spark plug.... since I already had it all torn apart. The saw now runs like it should.

Now the saw seems to put out an excessive amount of oil. When I was running the saw to tune it, by the time I got done the bar had oil running down both sides and it was dripping on the floor. Maybe in wood, it will be fine, but wow, there was a lot of oil all over. After wiping it all down, the saw does not leak oil when not in use.

I guess the next step will be to run a tank through it when in wood. A little too much oil is ok, but I don't want the oil tank running dry before the fuel tank. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Update....

I replaced the carb with a new OEM Zama (that is what the dealer had in stock). I also replaced the impulse line, fuel line, fuel filter, fuel tank vent and spark plug.... since I already had it all torn apart. The saw now runs like it should.

Now the saw seems to put out an excessive amount of oil. When I was running the saw to tune it, by the time I got done the bar had oil running down both sides and it was dripping on the floor. Maybe in wood, it will be fine, but wow, there was a lot of oil all over. After wiping it all down, the saw does not leak oil when not in use.

I guess the next step will be to run a tank through it when in wood. A little too much oil is ok, but I don't want the oil tank running dry before the fuel tank. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Not sure, those saws usually don't oil enough...

Wish mine did that. Run a whole tank of gas through it cutting some wood. If it has just enough oil left to feed the pickup when you run out of gas, it's perfect. If you run out try a thicker oil or a restriction in the oil line.

The real test is in the wood. Run a tank of fuel and see. It is not coming out near the muffler is it?
The oil was not coming out near the muffler. I guess the first thing I'll do is to run it in wood to see how fast the oil in the tank is used compared to the fuel tank.

I know it's just a ms250, but for free the saw is in great shape (looks almost new) and now runs really well. The carb was $28 and another $25 or so in the other parts (impulse line, fuel line, plug, etc.).

Not sure what I will do with it though, as I do not need it.... which I'm sure is the case with almost all y'all.... more saws than one needs.

Thanks to all that replied.

The oil was not coming out near the muffler. I guess the first thing I'll do is to run it in wood to see how fast the oil in the tank is used compared to the fuel tank.

I know it's just a ms250, but for free the saw is in great shape (looks almost new) and now runs really well. The carb was $28 and another $25 or so in the other parts (impulse line, fuel line, plug, etc.).

Not sure what I will do with it though, as I do not need it.... which I'm sure is the case with almost all y'all.... more saws than one needs.

Thanks to all that replied.
Yep, got one here that hasn't been started in over 2 years..

Attachments

• Stihl MS250 001.JPG
    Stihl MS250 001.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I know this thread is a couple of years old now, but I just ordered a Walbro WT-215 for my MS250 and if just wondering if I would go by the stock tuning from the Zama as far as 1 turn out on the low and 3/4 out on the high. I know i would have to fine tune. Thanks for any help.

I know this thread is a couple of years old now, but I just ordered a Walbro WT-215 for my MS250 and if just wondering if I would go by the stock tuning from the Zama as far as 1 turn out on the low and 3/4 out on the high. I know i would have to fine tune. Thanks for any help.
Hi. Sorry, but I don't remember now much about the carb adjustment. I do remember that the final tune was real close to factory settings. Saw has been running great, when I decide to use it (a couple of 3 times a years or so).

You may have to change the rubber carb screw grommet to get access to the screws on the 215. As @HarleyT showed the 215 was used on some MS250s so the correct should be available from Stihl.

Latest posts

Back