early stihl 044 carb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reaperman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have an early 90's 044 (10mm wrist pin) with a Zama c3m carb. The saw is great and always ran good. Lately it seems like a little fussy with the carb settings. Boggs down a bit at high rpms, and the idle is fussy. Sometimes it will idle fine, but other times the chain will continuing spinning at an idle. Anyway, for a 30 plus year old carb with all original parts I think it's time it gets some attention. No question it could use a carb kit. But I was wondering if I just got a new carb all together? My thinking is this carb has lasted 30 years without issue another one should also. I wouldn't want to get one of those cheapo Chinese carbs rather another Zama or Walboro that would plug and play into the saw. I've looked around online for a replacement but I seem to get lost in all of the model numbers, especially if I went with a Walboro. Or am I over-thinking the whole thing and just get a kit and rebuild it? Any recommendations on where to buy a quality replacement or kit, thanks

I have an early 90's 044 (10mm wrist pin) with a Zama c3m carb. The saw is great and always ran good. Lately it seems like a little fussy with the carb settings. Boggs down a bit at high rpms, and the idle is fussy. Sometimes it will idle fine, but other times the chain will continuing spinning at an idle. Anyway, for a 30 plus year old carb with all original parts I think it's time it gets some attention. No question it could use a carb kit. But I was wondering if I just got a new carb all together? My thinking is this carb has lasted 30 years without issue another one should also. I wouldn't want to get one of those cheapo Chinese carbs rather another Zama or Walboro that would plug and play into the saw. I've looked around online for a replacement but I seem to get lost in all of the model numbers, especially if I went with a Walboro. Or am I over-thinking the whole thing and just get a kit and rebuild it? Any recommendations on where to buy a quality replacement or kit, thanks
These Zama carbs have issues with sticking main nozzle check valves. I have an 034S with a similar C3A-S4C carb and I had to change out the main nozzle. These are relatively simple carbs. An OEM kit and a new main nozzle should fix your problems.

Latest posts

Back