MS460 mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilo95

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just bought a MS 460. I'm going to have a 28" bar on it. I occasionally cut some oak for my smoker and lots of folks around here seem to be scared of tackling a larger tree (even when it is on the ground). I was tired of doing it with my MS 290 so I got a slightly more big boy saw.

What sort of mods do yall recommend? I see folks talking about modding them. Thanks

Base gasket delete, dual port muffler cover, and timing advance. Order a new set of rings while you're in there. Next step would be to widen the intake and exhaust ports some. After that cut the base and squish band, get a degree wheel and go full pull port job.

You jumped into the major from minor leagues. You’ll be happy either way but I think the guys above pretty much hit it. If you want to really dance when you cut then send it off for woods porting and enjoy!

yeah, the porting and playing with the timing is a little more than I can do. I can do the muffler job on it. we had a ms460 15-16 years ago when I was on the volunteer fire dept so i've run one before and liked it. thanks for the replies

Got my saw today. Gas (50:1) and oil and fired her up. Wouldn’t idle for squat 30°F here. Quick carb adjust and runs great. Now for the muffler mod when I have a moment... thanks for the replies

One more question...I put a new plug in it (it’s the one in the manual. I think WSR6F). Won’t crank for anything. Put the old plug back in and fires up and runs fine. The carb setting is almost exactly at the 1/4 and 3/4 settings per the manual. Any thoughts?

I’m not sure. I don’t think so. I’ll look when I get home In a couple hours

no red limiters. The old plug is a L7TC. The terminal goes completely over the electrode where the WSF6R does not. Is the L7TC the high compression plug someone referred to?

I’m not sure. I don’t think so. I’ll look when I get home In a couple hours
If the plastic limiters have been removed the settings for your carb is one turn out from lightly seated, to lightly seat the needles turn them clockwise gently til they stop, turn them both back counterclokwise one full turn. Your saw should start and run fairly well at those settings but a 1/8 turn in or out would still be ok, any more than that then something is not right. The 1/4 turn you referred to seeing in the manual is the adjustment with the limiters in place.

If the plastic limiters have been removed the settings for your carb is one turn out from lightly seated, to lightly seat the needles turn them clockwise gently til they stop, turn them both back counterclokwise one full turn. Your saw should start and run fairly well at those settings but a 1/8 turn in or out would still be ok, any more than that then something is not right. The 1/4 turn you referred to seeing in the manual is the adjustment with the limiters in place.
Sounds good. I’ll give that a shot and let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Has anyone changed a non arctic 460 into an arctic from a pooched arctic 460?
I need some heat up here, it was minus 17 here yesterday.
How would one knock out the plug in the air box where the heat switch is located without breaking something?
Thanks

Has anyone changed a non arctic 460 into an arctic from a pooched arctic 460?
I need some heat up here, it was minus 17 here yesterday.
How would one knock out the plug in the air box where the heat switch is located without breaking something?
Thanks

Real costly John if you don`t have a parts donor saw.

Back