Ms880 repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a question while I am waiting on my bearings and gaskets. My saw already has the unlimited coil but I am not a machinist does anyone sell ported cylinders or can you send your cylinder to be ported for you

In regard to the compression release. You're suppose to remove it and plug the hole to do a vac/press test. Even a new one will leak, as you found out.
You should do the vac test first. I use the Stihl part for the plug, but I believe it's the same thread pitch as a 10mm spark plug.

In regard to the compression release. You're suppose to remove it and plug the hole to do a vac/press test. Even a new one will leak, as you found out.
You should do the vac test first. I use the Stihl part for the plug, but I believe it's the same thread pitch as a 10mm spark plug.
I will try that tha

Just got this now I am just waiting for a gasket bearing and impulse line and I will be ready to rebuild

Attachments

• 29429A8D-3E43-411B-A404-BF0D831FF2E5.jpeg
    29429A8D-3E43-411B-A404-BF0D831FF2E5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Well started looking at the carburetor looks like I also had some extra stuff by the needle

Attachments

• B7E8DA63-44E5-40CE-B730-C1CE00C99ECC.jpeg
    B7E8DA63-44E5-40CE-B730-C1CE00C99ECC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 0818997C-9156-4FA2-9C55-DBB429F9B8BB.jpeg
    0818997C-9156-4FA2-9C55-DBB429F9B8BB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
Welch plug sealer came unglued from using ethanol based fuel. it can move around carb bowl and cover main jet and cause a lean fuel starvation which could have done your piston damage (you can also google ms880 ipl for parts breakdown to verify part numbers too- faster than waiting sometimes)

Welch plug sealer came unglued from using ethanol based fuel. it can move around carb bowl and cover main jet and cause a lean fuel starvation which could have done your piston damage (you can also google ms880 ipl for parts breakdown to verify part numbers too- faster than waiting sometimes)
Ah thanks for the info. I think the stihl dealer got the wrong seal in the bag and they are arguing with me about it making it hard to get the part I need.

Well we have been working 7-12s since the freeze but I finally got the saw back together and it started up! Now I need ideas on how to break it in without breaking anything. What methods do y’all use for that any ideas would be greatly appreciated

breaking them in is always different person to person. I like putting a good tablespoon of 2 cycle oil on top of the piston before the first start up then turn it over by hand 4-5 times, use 25 or 30-1 mix in the first tank or three of fuel. start and adjust carb to idle and snap throttle response, allow to warm up then shut off...do this a few time to make sure it starts easily nd remains running. warm up fully then set high speed jet to 4 stroke at the top of its rpm limit. shut off and restart a few times to make sure its right then shove it into some wood and cut like a little old lady for a few minutes then give it hell like your borrowing it from someone who owes you money and they broke your lawn mower. after that let it idle a while before shutting it off to cool it..after 2-3 tanks switch to 40-1 and re adjust carb and its ready for work.

breaking them in is always different person to person. I like putting a good tablespoon of 2 cycle oil on top of the piston before the first start up then turn it over by hand 4-5 times, use 25 or 30-1 mix in the first tank or three of fuel. start and adjust carb to idle and snap throttle response, allow to warm up then shut off...do this a few time to make sure it starts easily nd remains running. warm up fully then set high speed jet to 4 stroke at the top of its rpm limit. shut off and restart a few times to make sure its right then shove it into some wood and cut like a little old lady for a few minutes then give it hell like your borrowing it from someone who owes you money and they broke your lawn mower. after that let it idle a while before shutting it off to cool it..after 2-3 tanks switch to 40-1 and re adjust carb and its ready for work.
I will get started on that when I get home from work thanks

So my saw is back up and running starts good runs good still a little rich but I am working on that. The question is what do y’all think about the routing of the impulse line my throttle linkage hangs up on mine about half the time if it was a half inch longer it would be no problem. Is there a trick to this that I am missing?

i have had success taking the impulse line and putting a gentle twist into it so it moves to the side enough but sometimes the impulse lines come cut short by a frogs lip hair. At that point I will use echo fuel hose I keep on hand until I can measure length and reach out to the seller. FYI stay far far away from farmertech impulse lines!!! they can not handle the heat, they get soft and blow off when cutting and the saw will run super lean...I had this happen because I did not inspect the hose I was sold and paid good money for :( . I did not look for the stihl branding marks and it resulted in the saw engine running away for a few seconds during a large hard cut..talk about a sphincter tightening moment!

i have had success taking the impulse line and putting a gentle twist into it so it moves to the side enough but sometimes the impulse lines come cut short by a frogs lip hair. At that point I will use echo fuel hose I keep on hand until I can measure length and reach out to the seller. FYI stay far far away from farmertech impulse lines!!! they can not handle the heat, they get soft and blow off when cutting and the saw will run super lean...I had this happen because I did not inspect the hose I was sold and paid good money for :( . I did not look for the stihl branding marks and it resulted in the saw engine running away for a few seconds during a large hard cut..talk about a sphincter tightening moment!
Ok I will give that a try it is the last thing to address on this complete rebuild. Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back