Ms880

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihladdictt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am rebuilding a ms880 that originally came with a cast iron cylinder and I was wondering can I use the newer model cylinder from the ms880 that came with a aluminum muffler

I am rebuilding a ms880 that originally came with a cast iron cylinder and I was wondering can I use the newer model cylinder from the ms880 that came with a aluminum muffler
I’m aware I will have to change the exhaust but does everything else pare up for example the intake boot ?

I have rebuilt several Stihl 088 and MS 880 engine top ends and thus saved these saws that would otherwise have been thrown into the trash. It's a rewarding hobby. :rock:
Awesome since you know a bit more about these saws do you have to run the poly flywheel #1124 400 1210 I can’t seem to find any or can you run the newer metal flywheel #1124 400 1201 for the older ms880 3 bolt ignition

I have rebuilt several Stihl 088 and MS 880 engine top ends and thus saved these saws that would otherwise have been thrown into the trash. It's a rewarding hobby. :rock:
I’m having a lot of trouble finding out what flywheel works I purchased the poly flywheel used but the magnets where so weak it wasn’t getting enough spark

Good choice on upgrading the muffler. Just ensure to double-check the compatibility of the intake boot with the newer cylinder, and you should be all set for a successful MS880 rebuild.

Awesome since you know a bit more about these saws do you have to run the poly flywheel #1124 400 1210 I can’t seem to find any or can you run the newer metal flywheel #1124 400 1201 for the older ms880 3 bolt ignition
I cannot safely answer that because I never had to pull or replace the flywheel on the ones I worked on. All my 088's and MS 880's had 1210 flywheels as I recall. Regardless, I would hesitate to change from one to the other. Each wheel wants a different coil.

Latest posts

Back