Ms880

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually the kids use the biggest saw with the longest bar. And, then when their nuts drop they use the proper saws for the job. So, unless you are cutting 8 foot trees every day then you likely have no clue what you are doing.
I think you wouldn't have a clue as to what I'm doing or what you are saying, as we say here pull your head in & put ur brain into gear before ur mouth, I'm 70 yr old and still using 660's & 880's on big timber.
You should spend more time on the saw than on the forum, do you own a chainsaw ?

Attachments

• Albury Redgum1.JPG
    Albury Redgum1.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Redgum 4aa MS880 .JPG
    Redgum 4aa MS880 .JPG
    950.3 KB · Views: 0
I think you wouldn't have a clue as to what I'm doing or what you are saying, as we say here pull your head in & put ur brain into gear before ur mouth, I'm 70 yr old and still using 660's & 880's on big timber.
You should spend more time on the saw than on the forum, do you own a chainsaw ?

Well, good for you. I'm actually 70 years old as well. And, I likely own more timber than you will cut anytime soon.

So, play with your toys and be big boy on forum.

you must be breeding wimps in the USA.

This is why I was being snotty with the old fart.

Fact is the entire eastern U.S. deciduous forest has been timbered. Joyce Kilmer may be the only remaining old growth hardwoods.

I have a red oak in my pasture that was on a fence line and never cut for some reason. I have not measured it, but the tree's diameter is more that the width of my F150.

But, fence lines and old home place yards are the only old trees. There is a white oak in yard down the road that is probably 10 feet in diameter.

Mostly the tree service guys have a MS 880 or similar that sits in the shop and they use rarely. Normally use a MS660 or 661 and 395 XP with a 36 inch bar for big stuff , and then only when they have to.

Loggers hardly run in to any big timber. I have some standing timber that hasn't been touched in 100 years and it still doesn't have much anything in it over 30 inches. Maybe 4 or 5 trees over 30 inches.

So , different world. Even move 1000 miles in the U.S. and looks like another planet.

Fact is the entire eastern U.S. deciduous forest has been timbered. Joyce Kilmer may be the only remaining old growth hardwoods.

I have a red oak in my pasture that was on a fence line and never cut for some reason. I have not measured it, but the tree's diameter is more that the width of my F150.

But, fence lines and old home place yards are the only old trees. There is a white oak in yard down the road that is probably 10 feet in diameter.

Mostly the tree service guys have a MS 880 or similar that sits in the shop and they use rarely. Normally use a MS660 or 661 and 395 XP with a 36 inch bar for big stuff , and then only when they have to.

Loggers hardly run in to any big timber. I have some standing timber that hasn't been touched in 100 years and it still doesn't have much anything in it over 30 inches. Maybe 4 or 5 trees over 30 inches.

So , different world. Even move 1000 miles in the U.S. and looks like another planet.
ZeroSense it's best ya just stick to cleaning spark arresters and replacing weed eater line 👍 😆

ZeroSense it's best ya just stick to cleaning spark arresters and replacing weed eater line 👍 😆

Well, I have used a 2101 XP, an 076 Super. I have a MS660 that I put a piston in. Have $40 in it and my time which is worthless. I have worked on a MS880, but I work on so many I don't remember what for.

One thing I can do is take his MS880 apart, split the case, replace bearings and whatever in a couple of hours or so.

And, I can take it and cut some stuff with it. Matter of fact I could cut this big oak in the pasture and have my picture took standing beside it I suppose and post it on a forum. LOL.

Well, I have used a 2101 XP, an 076 Super. I have a MS660 that I put a piston in. Have $40 in it and my time which is worthless. I have worked on a MS880, but I work on so many I don't remember what for.

One thing I can do is take his MS880 apart, split the case, replace bearings and whatever in a couple of hours or so.

And, I can take it and cut some stuff with it. Matter of fact I could cut this big oak in the pasture and have my picture took standing beside it I suppose and post it on a forum. LOL.
That's Amazing.

IMG_0309.jpeg

Australia and Tasmania is the home of hardwood forests.

We still have some of giants left some pushing 100 metres tall. Tallest felled "officially recorded" was 107 metres tall unofficially over 120 metres wasn't uncommon it was a free for all recording details with cutters and mills for the future was not a high priority way back then.

images - 2023-12-23T012733.259.jpegimages - 2023-12-23T013950.803.jpegimages - 2023-12-23T014005.010.jpegimages - 2023-12-23T013002.277.jpegimages - 2023-12-23T012844.506.jpeg
MountainAshWithCars.jpg

Awesome pictures do you have a wide-angle shot showing more of the downed tree? That's not something we have here in Wisconsin, not even close.
Brad, Here is a couple of picks of the tree, I cut 55 tonne ( around 120,000 lb ) of firewood.

Attachments

• DSCN2671.JPG
    DSCN2671.JPG
    868.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN2673_1.JPG
    DSCN2673_1.JPG
    866 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN2670.JPG
    DSCN2670.JPG
    979.4 KB · Views: 1
Brad, Here is a couple of picks of the tree, I cut 55 tonne ( around 120,000 lb ) of firewood.
Closest thing to that size I've worked was a massive leaner of a guanacaste when I was living in Mexico but it wasn't that big. Was scary to fell though it was leaning so hard. Roots ripped out of the ground on either side of it when it finally went, luckily my buddy cutting was on the uphill side. Saw plenty of guanacaste 6-8' in diameter or more, though we didn't have gear for the really big ones. Plus while we only did any work on the invitation of locals who were removing a tree for whatever reason, the politics of gringos working in indigenous areas was sketchy. The trees were legal for the locals to cut, but timber was illegal to transport anywhere without a permit that no one knew how to obtain. Corrupt local police waited near where people were working a tree just to arrest them transporting it to shake them down for money. Guanacaste wood isn't that hard, but the sawdust is toxic, so you cough like crazy unless you wear a respirator working it. But absolutely termite-proof. I only got the 880 and 72" bar I wanted for working them after moving back to the States, though, and there are no trees in my neck of the the woods all that big.

My family has 16 hectares of property north of Bundaberg but nothing on it but scrubby small gum trees. I drove from Wollongong to Canberra once in the mid-80's, and I remember a lot of great forests climbing up the steep grades from the coast and going inland. Where are you in the Tablelands?

Yeah man you're still cutting fatties there. We see few here. The stuff Gary posted in OZ was brutal looking wood. In Victoria, this week, apparently it is smoking hot. Dead, radial cracks for days and likely hard as stone. I'm sure it got dealt with on a 90- 125cc basis. Milling that **** would be a nightmare!

Queanbeyan, not far from Canberra
That some nice country, the Kings Highway out to Bateman's Bay? One road I never took. Was up and down the coast a fair bit around there, and did a trip to Melbourne around the top of Canberra through Glenrowan and Gundagai cause I remember stopping at the Ned Kelly memorial and the Dog on the Tuckerbox. But never saw anything out east of Canberra between there and the coast.

Latest posts

Back