Muffler gasket. Metal or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_289

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The muffler gasket on my 61 is wrecked and im finding the metal style with ridges and the thicker non metal style that im used to seeing on mower engines and such. Which one works better?

Oh Contraire , actually outlast the saw . I buy Garlock 1000 sheet gasket and cut to fit never had a gasket fail in over 40 yrs !
Yeah, sure..
Are you a factory rep for some obscure "gasket material" company???
Sure sounds like it!!!
LOL!!!
Is this the Slick50 of gaskets???

As a small engine mechanic, one has to remove the muffler to save everyone involved a lot of time and money.
If you remove a muffler with a chitty graphite gasket, that comes apart in pieces. Well, that is a factor to consider.....
Since the reason for emoving the muffler was a diagnostic move, and most farkers wanting to get their saw fixed, do not want to spend ANY money....

That is one hell of a nae/title though.....[/QUQUote
Yeah, sure..
Sure sounds like it!!!
LOL!!!
Yeah, sure..
Sure sounds like it!!!
LOL!!!
Well since you like Asbestos , then try Anchor 9000 . Same qualities as the Garlock product sealed within a stainless steel foil . P.S. Anchor was the 1st supplier of Asbestos sheet gasket product in 1909 .

I tried to fix the little cracks in the bottom of the plastic gas tank on my riding lawn mower with a hot glue gun....but the gas melted it. Gunna try welding with detergent bottle sticks next. :blob2:

As a small engine mechanic, one has to remove the muffler to save everyone involved a lot of time and money.
If you remove a muffler with a chitty graphite gasket, that comes apart in pieces. Well, that is a factor to consider.....
Since the reason for emoving the muffler was a diagnostic move, and most farkers wanting to get their saw fixed, do not want to spend ANY money....
Actually as a former Diesel mechanic and 3rd Class Stationary Eng. have removed hundreds of gaskets of various compositions . Today Graphonic gasketing is the leading material utilized for temperature and pressure sensitive applications world wide . Both Garlock and Anchor products I have indicated are designed for up to 1000 psi & 1275 degrees f. I have installed same on Pioneer 11-60 & P-40 saws circa 1966 which still have not failed , same with snowmobile , motocross , atv and lawnmower applications . As a former mechanic you should recognize " why buy preformed when you can cut your own " .

I broke my 372 gasket trying to clean the carbon off of it. It was some kind of fiber and I accidentally pulled it in half...then lost one half. Surely if it was metal it would still be whole.

Got a link to your employer?

I tried to fix the little cracks in the bottom of the plastic gas tank on my riding lawn mower with a hot glue gun....but the gas melted it. Gunna try welding with detergent bottle sticks next. :blob2:
Ensure you have efuel rated flux or shielding gas prior to striking your electrode Jethro !

I broke my 372 gasket trying to clean the carbon off of it. It was some kind of fiber and I accidentally pulled it in half...then lost one half. Surely if it was metal it would still be whole.
If your decarbonizing your heads or exhaust ports you replace your gaskets , so breakage is not a factor , sealibility is !

Yeah, but if you work on this **** for a living... Your customers are cheap ass basta rds, like the folks here..
And pulling a muffler, to "show" these farkers why they don't want me working on their saw. well, if you pull a muffler, and the piston looks OK, but the gasket comes apart, welll.......

Back