My firewood tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still saleing but too lazy to post pictures much. Been buying some stuff for my new shop, got a old Henry vise today, been cracked and welded years ago but will be fine for what I need. Bought some work benches and assorted other small crap. Some 5" foam that I have no idea what I 'm going to use it for. My son is getting married next week and they had a ball and chain at the sale so I figured it must be a sign, new daughter in law not real impressed though. View attachment 306300View attachment 306301View attachment 306302View attachment 306303

And to keep it in the firewood thread some pics of a new toy. Son just got home from Repocast in Michigan, he's been buying some stuff there for awhile. He bought a Harley last fall and sold it already, his boss bought a couple of tractors and a big toy hauler as well as a bunch of small stuff. Online auction every Thursday in Michigan.
It's the 72" HD unit. Bigger than what I need and ready don't have a use for it but will put it up for sale and play with it until it sells. He bought a bunch of shelving too. Due to the high price of fuel he tries to get a full load for each trip, he buys stuff off craigslist to fill up the truck or trailer if he doesn't get enough at the sale.
View attachment 306304View attachment 306305View attachment 306306

I've run 15-20 pieces threw it theirs pro's and con's with it like anything. but i been splitting 24" long 18"wide and bigger chunks for wood boiler. flared end of trees that where to big to go threw processor. works great on hard wood. have had it just screw into two pine logs. and had to cut log off with chainsaw. i do find it better then using my horizontal splitter

just another toy to add to my collection!

jcl, I sold a 3 pth one awhile ago. I used it just playing around and they do work good if you pay attention while using it. I think I still have one more laying on my fenceline yet. I wanted to mount one on a post hole digger frame just to split big stuff but no time to do it and all I've been cutting is tops anyway so everything is pretty small. I haven't even had much time to do any wood this year, I have enough seasoned for 13/14 but would like to get ready for 14/15. Logs are in the bush and piled up just no time to get them home. Once this wedding is over it's back to "my" time again.

I spent some time playing with the new root grapple and it's gonna go on the block. Works ok for some stuff but not what I mostly want to use it for. The throat only opens up 30", 08150 has girls that can get wider than that. Can't take a big enough bite of brush, the grapple arms actually push the brush away. Next time I will just get the brush grapple. I picked up a stump and it worked ok but it was a burnt out out stump and wasn't really big. I played with some rocks too and it worked ok but again the narrow throat opening won't let you get a full bucket. I used it to root up some small sumac trees and it worked ok not again not good enough for my liking. It's a nice heavy well built bucket and for bare roots I think it would work fine but has too many drawbacks to justify sitting on my fenceline. I only have room for so many loader buckets and the dozen or so I have now get used fairly often, I don't think this one would. The chunk of concrete well took abit of lifting power. View attachment 306426View attachment 306427View attachment 306428View attachment 306429View attachment 306430

tried curved buckets they don't do good. need a flat bottom works much better and can scoop loose firewood for loading on trl or truck

Been busy lately getting ready for my son`s wedding so not much firewooding done but that`s gonna change soon. The wedding was yesterday and now it`s time to get back to productive work. The good news is I should have some help now, his new wife is a farm girl and used to work. I`m going to hook up one of the OWB`s I bought to their house so she`s gonna need to start cutting wood too. My son is a mechanic and her family are big on hunting so the boutineers for the guys were designed and made by her. I built the wall in the background using old barn boards off my neighbours barn. I also made the table center pieces using my chainsaw and 24`` chunks of barn beams.
View attachment 307573View attachment 307574View attachment 307575View attachment 307576View attachment 307577

jcl, mine are work rides. 01 dodge with flatbed hoist and 2 dodge vans. Honda VTX 1800 and a can am 800 Renegade though.
Photographer posted some more pics today but had to put a disclaimer on them. She said she had never done these types of pictures before. Someone called the cops about the burn outs and smoke show after the ceremony. Only lasted a few minutes anyway.
View attachment 307931

I finally got to the bush to cut some wood. We have quite a bit piled up in the bush so I decided to just cut it into rounds there and haul it home to split. I used my old horizontal splitter because a buddy borrowed my Speeco and it's been awhile since I used it anyway. Split it all and when I retracted the cylinder all the way back in to store it the valve stuck on and blew a hose. Decided I might as well replace 2 of the hoses while I was at it.
View attachment 311496View attachment 311497View attachment 311498View attachment 311499View attachment 311500

Few mores pics to add. Almost had a big whoopsie, I use a 2 gallon jug for mixed fuel and set it on top of the load on the truck when it was full. I was back in the bush about 1/4 mile and drove out of the bush and thought I could smell gas, darn jug got knocked over by a low hanging branch and had spilled all down the wood and was dripping out the back of the box behind the muffler. Decided to shut the truck off and cut some more wood while I let the fuel dry. I don't carry a fire extinguisher but I doubt that it would have done any good anyway. I was real nervous starting the truck up to leave for home.
View attachment 311501View attachment 311502View attachment 311503

Hope you got people helping you that's alot of wood! If not, it's time to find a processor. The more work you can do by machine. Equals alot less wear and tear on your body!!! Add one of those to your list when you go to your next auction! Haha. Best $$$ I spent! mine has paid for it self in $$ and more time to spend with family

Those are some nice loads of wood!

Last edited:
Finally got a bunch of my owb hooked up. I have the heating system running in one house and the domestic hot water running on my house. I have all the parts now to hook up domestic hot water in the 2nd house and heat in my house as well as both shops, just need time to get it all done. Too much working away from home and busy weekends with crappy weather. While digging my lines in I also found the reason why my basement drain was getting slow. Poplar trees about 15' away, solid tile never even lasted 1 year.

Attachments

• fire2.jpg
    fire2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 56
  • fire1.jpg
    fire1.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 58
  • tileroots1.jpg
    tileroots1.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 51

Latest posts

Back