My first compete tear down and rebuild Poulan 3400 xp pro (Canadian model)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FATGUY

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well guys, it seems like it's taken forever to do, but here it is; my first ever complete teardown and rebuild of a saw. This saw belonged to my uncle and when he died my dad got it. Last year while I was visiting back home (Stoney Creek Ontario) I saw it in my dads garage. I asked him about it and he said "it won't run, take it with you, if you can get it to run keep it, if not, scrap it." Needless to say, I was detrmined to rebuild it and give it back to him. I'll be surprising him with it next time I go back. The rebuild was a great learning experience. I dissasembled, stripped, sandblasted and dishwashed everything. I put a few coats of primer on and a few more coats of rustoleum deep blue.(he painted everything blue) I think next time I'll invest in a spray gun instead of using a rattle can. The most difficulty I had was locating piston rings. One place sent me the wrong ones; or so I thought. I called a few other places and they all said the rings are such and such a size. Well, it turns out that the Canadian 3400 is a 4000 (bonus, more cubes). After getting all the parts, assembly was uneventful with the exception of prolapsing the crank seals. I made all the tools I needed and away I went. Getting the carb to run right took a few days. It still not perfect but I'll be taking it to Darth Snelling on the weekend for him to set the carb up properly. Took a few pics along the way, here they are;

stripping the old orange paint was a chore
attachment.php

Mrs. FATGUY was less than pleased with this procedure
attachment.php

partial assembly
attachment.php

almost done!
attachment.php

dry power head only, this is no lightweight
attachment.php

And here's the finished saw. The only thing not original is the b/c and the Stihl Elasto Start handle. Thanks to all on this site for helping me out :clap:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Great looking saw. Like the color. What did you use for paint? Had a friend make a spray can of Poulan green for me but doubt he'd make another so I use it sparingly.

Great looking saw. Like the color. What did you use for paint? Had a friend make a spray can of Poulan green for me but doubt he'd make another so I use it sparingly.

Sorry. Should ahve read you thread more closely re type of paint. Did you do compression test? Curious as to what it pulls. Did you put in new rings?

Sorry. Should ahve read you thread more closely re type of paint. Did you do compression test? Curious as to what it pulls. Did you put in new rings?

It pulled 140#'s when the jug was coated with oil. After it fired the first time 125#'s . I expect after a few tanks of gas to be up in the 130's. I think that's where those saws run

Nice Saw!

Hello Nik
Very nice job you did on that baby.I like the blue.I think it's close to that Solo saw blue.Fine Work
Lawrence

It pulled 140#'s when the jug was coated with oil. After it fired the first time 125#'s . I expect after a few tanks of gas to be up in the 130's. I think that's where those saws run

Yep your right in the ballpark. I like the Poulan green but if you had to do it any other color that looks close to Ford blue so that's good too.

You say it's no light weight and that's true but it's right in the ballpark for it's year and lighter then some.

Nice job on the saw! Make for some satisfaction when they fire back up for the first time don't it?

Great looking saw FATGUY!! I'm with Mark on this one, I'm a Ford guy and a Poulan guy. Think if I ever do a repaint on one, Im gonna use Ford Blue. Heck Iv'e painted all kinds of stuff Ford Blue over the years:clap:

Gregg

Great job on the saw!

Your dad is in for a pleasant surprise and will be happy to see that old saw looking and running like new.

:cheers:

As of now, no. Being that this was my first rebuild, I wanted to keep it as stock as possible and take as many variables out of the equation as possible. Baby steps. However, the true test will be when it's in wood. If it runs poorly, I'll know something isn't right. Once I'm convinced it's running as good as when it was new, then I'll decide whether to mod or not.

Latest posts

Back