Went to look at tools, Came home with 8 3/4 Saws!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Boyer

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off Hi Hi Hi! I haven't been active here in a good while, so I feel a bit like an interloper! (WARNING! This may be TLDR...)
So today my friend, who runs a small crew with his son (and does painting, power washing, rocking, carpentry and subs plumbing and electrical for remodeling) was doing some work a few towns over. Around 4pm, he called me and said his customer was selling some machine tools since he just wants to do woodworking now (hobbyist, semi-retired) and thought I might be interested.
So I get there and his major tools (Mill, Lathe, Welders, etc.) are almost exactly the equivalent of what I already have, but I did end up buying a bunch of Morse taper drill bits, reamers, and a bunch of new/resharpened end mills--at *Total* blowout prices as well...So far, well worth the 20 minute drive.

I was about to leave and he asks if I know anyone that's interested in any "Landscaping" equipment. I was kinda thinking "Meh", but since we were there, why not take a look?
As we walk out to his garage-sized shed he tells me that his son sold off all the "good stuff" and left all his "junk" equipment behind about 10 years ago when he moved to the West Coast to work as "A Computer Guy", and he said his son told him to "just put everything on Craigslist and sell it for whatever offers he gets" because whatever is left isn't worth much and it all needs work or parts-He said he'd "call a scrapper first".

We head out back and he unlocks the Barn Doors and all you can see is piles of cardboard boxes and a couple partially disassembled weed whackers, backpack blowers and Walker mowers on a trailer with flat tires--Then I spotted a pole-saw in the back corner, so I asked "Are there any Chainsaws?" He says "I think so, but it's all just the junk he didn't sell before he moved." We make our way to the back of the shed and I start feeling like a kid that just found a 20 in the street!

Fast forward a few hours and I now have 5 complete Husky 350's, (2 are EPA ph1 the others are ph2--whatever the difference is, I don't know), and they all feel like they have good compression when you pull the cord and one of them looks *almost* new AND was sitting next to an original orange plastic carry case!
Inside a big box labeled "346xp" there's what looks like a complete Really Clean 2009 346xp that's apart, but all the parts are in big ziplocks, and the bottom end is in a heavy duty clear bag and everything was oiled down so there's no rust or dust on anything.
Also in the box is what appears to be the original (maybe straight gassed?) top-end, with the piston scuffed/smeared on the exhaust side--I think the cylinder may be salvageable-other than the "aluminum pickup' it looks new on the intake side, crosshatch and all. And there's a bag with a new 44mm Meteor piston, ring and pin for that saw, And in another bag an OEM Husky 346xp complete(!) top-end, boxes and bags with various new and used carbs, new Husky filters, new spark plugs, some coils and a bewildering array of chains of various sizes, many new in the box, some used but not shot and several bars including 3 *nice* Husky 24", a couple Oregon 24's, and several 18" husky bars--2 like new, that I'm pretty sure go with the 350's/346xp. And 14 one gallon bottles of bar oil, A bunch of RedMax premix oil (Don't think that will be used on any of my tools!) and a pair of steel ramps which somehow go with chainsaws...(OK, I guess).

One Oddity was a New OEM piston/ring/wrist pin/bearing/cylinder in a bag, and written in black marker on top of the cylinder is "346xp"---Before I even measured it I could see it was different--turns out it's a 42mm top-end, but there were no other 346xp's anywhere in there, and we Looked! I'm pretty sure the only thing that fits is an Early 346xp--If so, maybe someone here might need it (let me know)...Or maybe someone here knows what else it will fit, if anything.
Another "Gem"(!?) was a "like new" Homelite Pro 46cc Saw that has no spark (Has a tag on it saying so at least). It's all plastic and has that "throw away" look to it, but it was apparently going to be part of the deal, so I didn't want to start bargaining until we'd looked through what was there.
And finally there was a smattering of random Stihl parts--none of which I could identify--and didn't really want, AND an 044 power-head (!) that felt like it has good compression. The guy said his son told him "That's One's worth at least 300 bucks", However, "Dad" laughed after telling me that and said: "It doesn't even have a blade, Who's gonna buy that?". I wasn't going to argue about the missing "Blade".
As I was looking at all this stuff he kept asking me "Do you want this?" Every time I said "well depends on what you want for it" He just went about pulling it out and piling it in his wheel barrow out front (I got the distinct feeling he wanted this stuff gone!). When we were all done, he suggested a "number" (which was a bargain even if everything needs pretty much everything), so I said "OK", and that was that. The one other odd thing I found when I got home was a (used) open port cylinder that measures 40mm and says "MAHLE" on the side just like the others. Maybe from a smaller Husky, or perhaps a Stihl?

From what I've read (here and elsewhere), a 350 can be modded with a 44mm 346xp topend without much difficulty, and depending on what is good, I may end up with a few nice 350's, but I'm going to see if I can get the 044 running and sell that, and if anyone knows anything more about the 42mm 346xp topend I'd appreciate any comments. Like I said, It's been a while, but I think I can upload photos if anyone is interested, and if you made it this far Thanks for reading my overly long story!
Kind Regards, Mike

So what did you pay?
I know this sounds crazy, and folks will probably think I'm lying, but the machine tools and saws were a package deal--He originally said $250 for all the Morse tang drills (Full "long" set in 32nds up to 1-1/8" with a case holding all the drills up to 3/4', and I haven't counted them, but the End Mills alone were almost all new or "rubber coat" resharpened, most were double end, there was a mix of sizes from 1/8" to 3/4", 2 and 4 flute, ball and square end and a few carbides as well. A box of HSS blanks, an Aloris AXA complete QC tool post setup, the reamers--including adjustable (very handy for repair work), a criterion boring head, and boxes of other odd and ends.
Then, before we had exchanged any cash, we looked at the saws, and in the end he said "How's $50 each (for the saws-no mention of the bars, chains, oil, etc.) and I said "So with the tools, the total would be..." (purposeful pause), to which he replied, "Well there's 5 good looking ones, and you should be able to get most or all of them working since you're handy, So how about $400 for everything?".
So It would seem like he was figuring 50 each for the 350's, but maybe allowing that only 3 might be fixable, and he totally gifted the 346 parts saw and parts, the oil, and the 044, since without a "Blade", it was obviously worthless (!)
Unless he just forgot what he was pricing the tooling at, and discounted that and charged for the 5 saws...But either way, I got everything for 400. Including those "Chainsaw Ramps"!
I think I did OK!
He was almost ready to sell a nice 6" Phase 2 Rotary table including tail-stock for vert. use for another 300! (that's a ~1200 setup today) because he said he only ever used it once, but then he said he wanted to keep it with the Mill because he felt that it would sell better as a package. Oh well, I still think I did pretty good.

First off Hi Hi Hi! I haven't been active here in a good while, so I feel a bit like an interloper! (WARNING! This may be TLDR...)
So today my friend, who runs a small crew with his son (and does painting, power washing, rocking, carpentry and subs plumbing and electrical for remodeling) was doing some work a few towns over. Around 4pm, he called me and said his customer was selling some machine tools since he just wants to do woodworking now (hobbyist, semi-retired) and thought I might be interested.
So I get there and his major tools (Mill, Lathe, Welders, etc.) are almost exactly the equivalent of what I already have, but I did end up buying a bunch of Morse taper drill bits, reamers, and a bunch of new/resharpened end mills--at *Total* blowout prices as well...So far, well worth the 20 minute drive.

I was about to leave and he asks if I know anyone that's interested in any "Landscaping" equipment. I was kinda thinking "Meh", but since we were there, why not take a look?
As we walk out to his garage-sized shed he tells me that his son sold off all the "good stuff" and left all his "junk" equipment behind about 10 years ago when he moved to the West Coast to work as "A Computer Guy", and he said his son told him to "just put everything on Craigslist and sell it for whatever offers he gets" because whatever is left isn't worth much and it all needs work or parts-He said he'd "call a scrapper first".

We head out back and he unlocks the Barn Doors and all you can see is piles of cardboard boxes and a couple partially disassembled weed whackers, backpack blowers and Walker mowers on a trailer with flat tires--Then I spotted a pole-saw in the back corner, so I asked "Are there any Chainsaws?" He says "I think so, but it's all just the junk he didn't sell before he moved." We make our way to the back of the shed and I start feeling like a kid that just found a 20 in the street!

Fast forward a few hours and I now have 5 complete Husky 350's, (2 are EPA ph1 the others are ph2--whatever the difference is, I don't know), and they all feel like they have good compression when you pull the cord and one of them looks *almost* new AND was sitting next to an original orange plastic carry case!
Inside a big box labeled "346xp" there's what looks like a complete Really Clean 2009 346xp that's apart, but all the parts are in big ziplocks, and the bottom end is in a heavy duty clear bag and everything was oiled down so there's no rust or dust on anything.
Also in the box is what appears to be the original (maybe straight gassed?) top-end, with the piston scuffed/smeared on the exhaust side--I think the cylinder may be salvageable-other than the "aluminum pickup' it looks new on the intake side, crosshatch and all. And there's a bag with a new 44mm Meteor piston, ring and pin for that saw, And in another bag an OEM Husky 346xp complete(!) top-end, boxes and bags with various new and used carbs, new Husky filters, new spark plugs, some coils and a bewildering array of chains of various sizes, many new in the box, some used but not shot and several bars including 3 *nice* Husky 24", a couple Oregon 24's, and several 18" husky bars--2 like new, that I'm pretty sure go with the 350's/346xp. And 14 one gallon bottles of bar oil, A bunch of RedMax premix oil (Don't think that will be used on any of my tools!) and a pair of steel ramps which somehow go with chainsaws...(OK, I guess).

One Oddity was a New OEM piston/ring/wrist pin/bearing/cylinder in a bag, and written in black marker on top of the cylinder is "346xp"---Before I even measured it I could see it was different--turns out it's a 42mm top-end, but there were no other 346xp's anywhere in there, and we Looked! I'm pretty sure the only thing that fits is an Early 346xp--If so, maybe someone here might need it (let me know)...Or maybe someone here knows what else it will fit, if anything.
Another "Gem"(!?) was a "like new" Homelite Pro 46cc Saw that has no spark (Has a tag on it saying so at least). It's all plastic and has that "throw away" look to it, but it was apparently going to be part of the deal, so I didn't want to start bargaining until we'd looked through what was there.
And finally there was a smattering of random Stihl parts--none of which I could identify--and didn't really want, AND an 044 power-head (!) that felt like it has good compression. The guy said his son told him "That's One's worth at least 300 bucks", However, "Dad" laughed after telling me that and said: "It doesn't even have a blade, Who's gonna buy that?". I wasn't going to argue about the missing "Blade".
As I was looking at all this stuff he kept asking me "Do you want this?" Every time I said "well depends on what you want for it" He just went about pulling it out and piling it in his wheel barrow out front (I got the distinct feeling he wanted this stuff gone!). When we were all done, he suggested a "number" (which was a bargain even if everything needs pretty much everything), so I said "OK", and that was that. The one other odd thing I found when I got home was a (used) open port cylinder that measures 40mm and says "MAHLE" on the side just like the others. Maybe from a smaller Husky, or perhaps a Stihl?

From what I've read (here and elsewhere), a 350 can be modded with a 44mm 346xp topend without much difficulty, and depending on what is good, I may end up with a few nice 350's, but I'm going to see if I can get the 044 running and sell that, and if anyone knows anything more about the 42mm 346xp topend I'd appreciate any comments. Like I said, It's been a while, but I think I can upload photos if anyone is interested, and if you made it this far Thanks for reading my overly long story!
Kind Regards, Mike
You officially…suck…

If you get a running 350 you would like to part with, I would be interested.
Are you sure you wouldn't rather have a Really lovely Non-running Homelite 46cc "pro" saw? ( It's got a lot of shiny colorful plastic!...Hmmm? Maybe?)

Seriously though, I've never owned a "Homeowner" Husky before, so I'm reading up on what's worth doing with what's there. I originally thought the 42mm OE top-end was for a saw that was "missing" because it was in separate bag and box, and there was already a new 44mm top end with the 346 that was apart. (And believe me--We looked for that *missing saw*! ) Now I feel kinda dumb about that!

I don't know if putting a 42cc topend on a 350 is a worthwhile swap, but until I pull some mufflers off and see what these 350's look like, it's kinda hard to guess what needs what--or if maybe they all actually might only need a piston at most, or a lot more at worst. I've already read that bottom end seals and loose bolts can cause BBQ--level leaks--as well as the plastic intake clamp, So I'm still reading up on them.
I want to see if the 044 is a decent runner, or what it needs, because I know that will sell quickly (and I've got all Husky's except a 201 top saw), but eventually I'll look into the 350's and figure something out.
Right now it's ugly outside, but I'll probably try to take some pics this weekend.

Latest posts

Back