Looking for info on some saws I just bought, and where to find carb kits etc.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hurricane Sandblasting

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey there, I have a question for all of you. I ended up buying a bunch of saws of an older fellow that is going into an old folks home, he said they all ran when he put them away. I got about 6 or 7 old Stihls and a husky 266XP. I already have a bunch of saws so I’m going to sell a few of these to friends of mine but I’d like to do a carb rebuild because they have been sitting for so long. Where is the best place to find parts for older saws? I haven’t had to buy parts for older saws for a long time because I run my newer ones day to day and can’t remember where I used to look. So here’s what I got, all for 50$!! I’ll attach some pics below. In the mix is a mystery “pro” saw id sure like to find out what it is. Is there a way to find that out by serial number?? A friend of mine wants the MS 360 right away but the decompressing valve was replaced with a bolt, any idea where I could get one of those?

024AV electric quickstop
028WB
038AV
MS 360
266XP

So my question is which ones of these are pro saws? They are pretty much all going to be for sale unless I fall in love with one so how much are they worth once I clean ‘em up and get ‘em running tip top. For the price I couldn’t go wrong, I know I’ll use one of the smaller ones for a beater quadding saw.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_0053.png
    IMG_0053.png
    8.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0055.png
    IMG_0055.png
    8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0054.png
    IMG_0054.png
    9.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0056.png
    IMG_0056.png
    14.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0057.png
    IMG_0057.png
    14.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0058.png
    IMG_0058.png
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
No sweat brother,
Usually the 266xp will have a tillotson from my experience, earlier se models with the tillotson hs163, then for the xp named models They switched to the larger hs224, both use the same carb kits

What’s the difference between the XP and SE? Not he serial number plate it does say 266 SE. Maybe the plastic broke and he just threw one on from another saw?

What’s the difference between the XP and SE? Not he serial number plate it does say 266 SE. Maybe the plastic broke and he just threw one on from another saw?
From what I know, the se is just the earlier pre 86 model, they switched names from se to xp after 85 or 86.
So my 1985 is a 266se, my 1990 266 is an xp. Just different names for the same saw if I’m correct.
If the first number in the serial number is 6 or under, it is probably a newer top cover on the older saw because the original broke.
If you’re top cover is clean inside you can sometimes tell the year it was manufactured from the date stamp above where the muffler is

For $50 on that pile deserves a YOU SUCK! That's an AS joke not an insult. Welcome.

Don't start buying carb kits/parts until you take them down some and determine if worth fixing, or destined to be parts saws.

"Pro" is a marketing term. They are are all decent saws but the 025 is a clamshell design.

Great score. There's a guy in Quesnel that has a stockpile of chainsaw parts, he might be able to help you out. Unfortunately I can't remember his name, but his shop was over near the auto wreckers. Might be called North Cariboo Saw Repair. If you want to make your money back I'd take that mystery pro saw off your hands as is. I'm no expert but it may be an 026.

For $50 on that pile deserves a YOU SUCK! That's an AS joke not an insult. Welcome.

Don't start buying carb kits/parts until you take them down some and determine if worth fixing, or destined to be parts saws.

"Pro" is a marketing term. They are are all decent saws but the 025 is a clamshell design.

Thanks! I have somehow scored some of the best deals this year, it’s unbelievable.. if you think that’s a good deal I don’t even want to tell you about the stock trailer and tri axle deck over trailers I got off him..!

Great score. There's a guy in Quesnel that has a stockpile of chainsaw parts, he might be able to help you out. Unfortunately I can't remember his name, but his shop was over near the auto wreckers. Might be called North Cariboo Saw Repair. If you want to make your money back I'd take that mystery pro saw off your hands as is. I'm no expert but it may be an 026.

That would be rob with Cariboo tractor! Great guy I just haven’t gone there to see him yet since my back surgery! He’s really great with trading too if just for the record!

Latest posts

Back