Need parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 030AV that is in desperate need of points and I can't find any does anyone know where I can find a new set??

Points from Hell

Thanks Fish! I have been running on an old set that have been filed for the last time. Let me know how much they are and how I can get them. thank you!!:blob2:

Don't you have a Stihl dealer nearby, I was able to get points
there last year, and I prefer the quality of the Stihl points{Bosch,
Phelon,whatever} than to aftermarket parts. What about the
condenser?
Fish

Points and condenser

yes the condenser should probably be changed as well. The saw runs poorly at high RPM under a load. The local stihl dealers are not much help. I stopped at two stocking dealers and they laughed. They both looked in their books and said they were unavalable from stihl and they never heard of them being made aftermarket. One made a reference to a guy who grafted a electronic ignition onto the handle but it was never right. I even e-mailed stihl with my parts needs and got no where. Dealers in Indiana buy through a company called "Bryan" They must be a wholesaler that has rights to Sell Stihl products in certain states. It also could be that the Stihl dealers here thought I would just roll over and buy a new saw. I love my old saw and just want to fix it. If you have a dealer in your area I can call please forward me a phone number. Maybe someone has an original on the shelf. thanks

Bryan Equipment is the distributor located in Cincinnatti Ohio
and serves the surrounding state's dealers, and I bought the
points and condenser through them last year. E-mail me.
[email protected]
Fish

This is Serious by the Way

Hi There, after giving up hope, I recieved a Remington Bantam Mighty Mite I purchased on Ebay. Picking it up at the post office I was excited to get the Chiquita Banana box open so I could examine it. It was raining so I just tore the box open while sitting in my truck. It was packaged rather nicely with the bar and chain still attached and fuel and oil tank filled as well.
So while driving down the road I would take the occasional side glance at it and noticed the chain would actually disappear into the bar groove, way down to above the top of the cutters. Upon closer examination, I saw also that the bar was bent as well.
I'm not complaining, as i dont think the person I bought it from knew a thing about saws, and it cost me more for shipping than the cost of the saw, but I will post her some entertaining positive feedback.
I was wondering if anyone out there could find me a 10" bar that will fit on this saw, I would prefer a sprocket tip bar that is in reasonable shape.
Thanks in advance,
John

Here you go big John. You can have this whole setup with a 12" sprocket tip for $25 US. The bar looks new but has been sitting around. The saw is locked up tighter than a bulls ass in flytime but some good parts there. Mike

You guys amaze me every time. This saw according to Walt is a time bomb, I had never heard of it until a couple of weeks ago. And now John has two of them and Mike pulls one out of his boneyard no problem! Worse yet John is paying money for them

Thanks, Mike, you got a deal. Let me know the total and your address and I will send the $ today. It will be a good parts saw.
Is the Bantam a very tuneable saw?
John

Yea man, I hate to sell a saw that has that much potential. Back in 1959 they were the top saw in the under 1 cubic inch class. They would put a reed out of a Scott Atwater outboard motor. They took the carburetor off a Hudson Hornet and the pipe was made out of a saxophone turned upside down and inside out. The secret to the most power was a mixture of glow plug fuel, hydrazine, and wolverine urine. Of course the ratio was a strictly guarded secret. That is how they got the reputation for blowing up. The saw fell out of favor when US competitors were too sissy to secure the urine. Luckily for you John that stuff is still available in your neck of the woods. Get that thing going and bring it to the Clearwater Revival race. Nothing will touch it! (except maybe another wolverine). Mike
;) PS send me an e-mail with address and I will figure shipping.

I am new to this saw collecting and I am having great fun. Are these Remington Bantams highly sought after and rare? If Rupedoggy and Gypo Logger have them they must make good compition saws!

Hi Mike, thanks for your technical expertise on getting the most out of the Bantam. Between the 3 saws I should have enough parts for the rebuild. I will be replacing the existing crank with one from an 026 to beef up the bottom end as well as an expansion chamber as pictured below. The nipple you see on the chamber will be fed back into the single action carb that I am not at liberty to disclose at the moment. I plan on running this saw at around 16725 in the 0-55cc modified class with a fuel mix close to the one you described.
Thanks once again,
John

I tried double ending the mightymites once but could not get 3/4 pitch drive sprockets to fit up right and had to downsize to 088's.
Hmmmm. wolverine urine, I'll have give that a try

Back on the topic of points for the 031, according to the local
dealer, he can still order them, but the blowup showed a trigger unit that may be on some models of the 030, does yours have
that?
Fish

Hi Fish! I just got a set of points on Friday. Kabelins hardware (stihl dealer)LaPorte, IN was able to order them. They look similar to the originals and they are original stihl parts but I'll let you know how the install goes. I'm not sure what you mean by the trigger? But they ordered two sets one set in a points kit with condenser and one set seperate. Mind you this is one of the dealers I went to before. There original story was that the parts were unavailable. I was also a little sticker shocked by $65.00 for the points/condenser kit. Hey, but if it stops the sputter and full throttle I'll be in good shape. Please keep me posted on what you find on your end. thanks john

I guess the trigger unit was installed on a few saws, but I have
never came across one. Personally I like the 030/031/032 series
saw and will work on them when other mechanics turn them
away. Yeah the condenser by itself was @$38, which is enough
to make me just try the new points first, but like I said, you will
have better results with the stuff from the Stihl dealer, so I
am glad they finally helped you.
Fish

The Remington Mighty mite series of saws use guide bars with the McCulloch mounting slot.
Bars from the small McCulloch comsumer size saws will fit onto the Remington saws.

Back