Most aggressive chain for pole saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egraham

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need some new chains for my Stihl polesaw. It’s a ht131 chain size is 3/8 p .043 with 44 drive lengths (12 inch bar).

I want to get the most aggressive chain I can find and appreciate any recommendations. All I can find at the local Stihl store is Stihl picco super 3 (PS3).

Thank you.

There is the new Stihl 61ps3 chain that is chisel square tooth in .043 gauge.
Think it would be fastest and won’t have to change your bar.
Part # 3699 005 0044 I think.

The Stihl pole saws use a sprocket with a smooth bore and spring washers for friction not splines or flats on a shaft. Maybe they do that for folks that convert to a bar for the 63 class Picco like you have found. That 63PS3 would be as agressive as possible (straight PS does not have the bumper drive links) for the sprockets for that gearbox. It will of course be more aggressive than the 61pmm3 you currently have. If you go to the parts sheet for the HT250 there is a 7 tooth sprocket and a 6 tooth sprocket to choose from. I am pretty sure the 6 is the same you have. It will be cheaper to go for more chain speed as opposed to a different chain and bar for more aggressive..

See post 6 above I was not aware of that product.

I've converted several pole saws from .043" gauge chain to .050" gauge. The owners have been very appreciative.
appreciative because of

It cuts a wider slot hence somewhat harder to get stuck.
The cutters are longer hence more economical.
other

The extendable pole saw I have, the same model as post 1 tends to slide in its length so the most gentile chain could have advantages that might not be considered.

WoodlandPRO 34LP (3/8" Low Profile) Narrow Kerf Chainsaw Chain​

I just ordered this chain and have not had a chance to try it out, but be warmed there is NO kickback reduction on this chain. It is a semi chisel chain. I thought i'd give try, I won't deny that the safety has probably saved my but more than once. With this chain you really have to watch the tip of your bar.

WoodlandPRO 34LP (3/8" Low Profile) Narrow Kerf Chainsaw Chain​

I just ordered this chain and have not had a chance to try it out, but be warmed there is NO kickback reduction on this chain. It is a semi chisel chain. I thought i'd give try, I won't deny that the safety has probably saved my but more than once. With this chain you really have to watch the tip of your bar.
Do you have it? I would expect it is essentially the Carlton N4C which is the cutters one would expect on the 0.050 3/8lp on a chain with the 0.043gauge drive links. A good response for what the guy in post 1 wants.

Do you have it? I would expect it is essentially the Carlton N4C which is the cutters one would expect on the 0.050 3/8lp on a chain with the 0.043gauge drive links. A good response for what the guy in post 1 wants.
No I do not have the Woodland Pro chain yet. I just ordered this two days ago. I'm looking forward to giving it a try. My current chain on my MS192T is down to little nubs, so when it arrives, I'll be putting it right on the saw on my way out to work. The chain is 3/8Low Profile 50 drive links and .043 gauge

I run exclusively the Stihl yellow-tagged chain on all of my saws. They all cut extremely well, especially on the pole saw you have. Surprised at how good that little saw cuts. I recommend the Stihl chain.
I have the same bar setup as the OP's HT131 on my HT75 (the FS 200 powerhead swap really makes it perform) and recommend the yellow Stihl chain for speed and durability.

No I do not have the Woodland Pro chain yet. I just ordered this two days ago. I'm looking forward to giving it a try. My current chain on my MS192T is down to little nubs, so when it arrives, I'll be putting it right on the saw on my way out to work. The chain is 3/8Low Profile 50 drive links and .043 gauge
When I had to clear x3 large oak limbs up to 16"x 40-ft, suffering a backache, I just grabbed my pole saw on weedwacker to save the bending; absolutely amazed at the speed/ power of that 0.25x 0.043 chain

I had a echo pole saw with .043. I went with new bar in 050 and put stihl 63PS on it. Best move I ever made.
That is something I might try when It becomes time to replace my bar and or drive sprocket' I have had my MS192T for so long I have built up a few spare .043 gauge chains. ( All safety chains. Thats why I thought I'd try a more aggressive chain) Unless I do not have time to sharpen the chain on the saw, I just file away till there little nubs then replace it.

Latest posts

Back