Are All Stihl 3/8" .050 Chains Interchangeable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.365 vs .375, may not seem like much of a difference, but multiply that by 7 teeth, its .070" or >1/16" especially if you look at the nose sprocket what 15 teeth? and things tend to not line up very well, drive tooth length be damned. Cause if it was just a matter of tooth length then a pico chain would work just dandy in a standard 3/8 sprocket, but it don't.
And really the difference is doubled for every drive tooth, as the connecting links are also going to be .01" shorter...
As I said before its some metric number, 9.27mm or some such, why they don't just use .325 pitch I'll never really understand.
Pitch is the exact same. 16" 3/8 and 16" 3/8 lp have same # of drivers, 60.

It is the chain chassis that is different.

Pitch is the exact same. 16" 3/8 and 16" 3/8 lp have same # of drivers, 60.

It is the chain chassis that is different.

This ☝️. Thank you for reiterating this. This can't be said enough.

I don't know why this myth about pitch difference exists or how it got started, but it needs to end. People need to stop spreading misinformation.

3/8" and 3/8" LP are exactly the same pitch (within manufacturing tolerances). Full stop. There is no difference in pitch.

All new Stihl bars have the chain information engraved on the side. The box the chain comes in has the information on the label. So, make sure all of that matches and that you have the correct drum or rim sprocket.

Putting 3/8 on a .325 sprocket will ruin a chain in a few seconds.
Happens when guys buy a bar and chain and think they know what they have, and it comes back in a few hours later with the chain locked up.

3/8" = 0.375
3/8"LP= 0.365
Simple math.
;-)

The difference is in the chain chassis. Not the pitch.

I had special 3/8 lo pro/picco rims made up to use on my 066 for milling by Danzco.

Here is 3/8 and 3/8 lo pro rims side by side. Both are 7T, note larger dia of the lo pro rim. The custom lo pro rim is a pin drive type.

If lo pro pitch is shorter, why is the rim diameter/circumference larger? Remember circumference = 2 pi X R. Simple math.

med spline 3:8 picco.jpg

If this don't get things through to you, I'll pull out a new ripping 3/8 lo pro and 3/8 chain, and take a picture side by side of 20 pin lengths. And also of the chain chassis, side view.

As an addendum, a 100' roll of 3/8 lo pro has 1640 drive links, the same as a 100' roll of regular 3/8 chain

Incredible wealth of information here. I appreciate each and every reply. Very Helpful
THANK YOU ALL!

I had special 3/8 lo pro/picco rims made up to use on my 066 for milling by Danzco.

Here is 3/8 and 3/8 lo pro rims side by side. Both are 7T, note larger dia of the lo pro rim. The custom lo pro rim is a pin drive type.

If lo pro pitch is shorter, why is the rim diameter/circumference larger? Remember circumference = 2 pi X R. Simple math.

View attachment 1049274

If this don't get things through to you, I'll pull out a new ripping 3/8 lo pro and 3/8 chain, and take a picture side by side of 20 pin lengths. And also of the chain chassis, side view.

As an addendum, a 100' roll of 3/8 lo pro has 1640 drive links, the same as a 100' roll of regular 3/8 chain
You've been in your lab too long.
You've forgotten what sarcasm is.
Notice the wink professor?

You guys take yourselves so seriously you become impossible to enjoy. Lighten up boss.
Facts:
Cut down 404 7 pin rims and some 3/8" 8 pin rims run just fine on these lp chains. Been using it since the stuff came out. Setting up an ES tip or another brand isn't that hard with a few minutes to do some some work on the nose or just use my roller nose bars. Plenty you haven't figured out yet on how to utilize this chain on more setups.
Keep wasting your money on Danco, enjoy.

Don't try and confuse them with facts and science. They've chosen a fantasy world; reality is not for them.

You were supposed to let thread die where I asked for proof of their claim. That would be the end of the discussion. :cool:
Proof, lol. You guys always want proof but are never willing to spend a dime to buy anything from others who figured it out a long time ago.
Are you here to add to the political shots like the last guy or just be annoying?
Do tell

You've been in your lab too long.
You've forgotten what sarcasm is.
Notice the wink professor?

You guys take yourselves so seriously you become impossible to enjoy. Lighten up boss.
Facts:
Cut down 404 7 pin rims and some? 3/8" 8 pin rims run just fine on these lp chains. Been using it since the stuff came out. Setting up an ES tip or another brand isn't that hard with a few minutes to do some some work on the nose or just use my roller nose bars. Plenty you haven't figured out yet on how to utilize this chain on more setups.
Keep wasting your money on Danco, enjoy.
I've been running lo pro on my 066 since 1990s, with proper bars/drive sprockets. The spur drive 7T picco sprocket for 066 is obscenely priced.

No 3/8 pin rims don't "run fine" with lo pro, neither do 3/8 sprocket tip bars. The chain drivers get peened over, and they mismatch the chain drivers so wear out fast.

Cut down .404 rims have an issue as you have turned away the hardened surface. No waste of my money on Danzco, I've got a lifetime supply of med spline lo pro rims. I can also convert my smaller stihls (026) to run 63RS chain for puruning. How much time you waste turning down .404 rims?

As far as bars/chains, before they went out of business, Left Coast Supplies had 3003 mount picco/lo pro GB bars in long lengths (36") and deals on 63PMX chains, I stocked up. The GB bars are very high quality and have correct lo pro/picco tips.

Wasting money? Check out the prices!

1 left coast.png
:ices_rofl:

I can't even find a gumball machine that takes quarters!!!! I can't believe you found chainsaw chains for 25 cents!!! I need to search out chainsaw stores that are going out of business! :chainsaw::rock:

View attachment 1049274

Just curious as I have no idea. Is the purpose to save wood, is the 3/8 LP a more narrow kerf ? Or, is it less load on the saw. There again, I don't mill or know anything about it.

I don't suppose I want to know to the point of making some search for threads on it. So, if it is overly deep we can skip on to how much oil to use or something.

Just curious as I have no idea. Is the purpose to save wood, is the 3/8 LP a more narrow kerf ? Or, is it less load on the saw. There again, I don't mill or know anything about it.

I don't suppose I want to know to the point of making some search for threads on it. So, if it is overly deep we can skip on to how much oil to use or something.
Narrower kerf so less wasted wood and more lumber/log, and less power needed to make the cuts/easier on the saw.

Back