I got word that the neighbor wanted some storm damage trees taken away but that it needs to be low impact. Would have loved to just go in with the tractor and winch, but hey, got to do what the landowner asks, for free wood. (to an extent) So I decided it would be best to buy or build something I could tow behind the Ranger or King Quad. Or even the Venttrac if need be. Then the research started. Had to have 2 things; walking beams and be able to hold minimum of 2000lbs. Beyond that I wasn't exactly sure how this would turn out. Looked at purchasing one, but that wasn't in the budget. This would need to be built out of stuff I have/had laying around. So I got to digging around the shop and found a bunch of scrap. Materials and approx. cost of each... Misc. hardware =$25 (TSC) All Metal including tubing= $0 (Decided if I didn't have it I wasn't buying it and would wait till I came across it) Wheels and tires= $0 (Traded a guy for watching his house while he was away) Axles = $18 x6 =$108 (Amazon-Northern Tool) Hub assembly $18x6 =$108 (Amazon-South West Wheel) Hitch coupler =$25 (Napa) Paint=$10 = 4 cans of Rust-stop purchased through my job. Flap disks, grinding wheels, respirator=$25 also through my job Added cost of a tool of about $25=Bought a lisle bearing greaser *Awesome purchase that the cost gets lets every time I use it in the future. The metal tubing and braces are from a carport someone didn't want anymore that just wanted it taken away. I have built other things out of this in the past and was pretty sure it would be strong enough. I searched the web for the walking beam axles or at least a kit I could buy, place in Canada makes the exact ones I wanted but would not sell too me...so that pissed me off and I said fine I will make them myself. So I grabbed the grinder some flap disks and got to work. I figured it was going to take the longest to make the walking beams so I set out to complete that and gave my self a deadline. I had one work week to complete both sides and have them functional. If the beams were not functional I was scrapping the idea and moving onto a different plan. This isn't as easy as it sounds. I work full time Monday through Friday and we have the farm to take care of before and after work everyday. oh and its winter so the animals need to be feed, pipes thawed, ice broken out of dishes and tanks...you know life on the farm. And I have my kids on the weekends, my son is going to be 3 so there isn't a lot I can get done in the shop as far as welding and grinding goes with him running around. Ever try to weld while taking a hammer away from a 3 year old so he doesn't "help" you kill bugs on the side of your truck? Monday and Tues went great. Got a great start. Wed and Thursday I fell behind while waiting for the axles and hub assembly's to show up. Got started on the main frame and uprights even though I was worried my Friday deadline would come and go without completion of the axles. Friday morning I checked the tracking info and found they had been delivered. So Friday I went into the shop with a determined attitude and lets just say, at 11:30 I was thinking "is this worth it" I had brought home a secret weapon though. My drill press from work. Made drilling the holes bearable. It was all worth it at midnight when we dry fitted the wheels on and set the frame on top. Its not the prettiest, its not perfect, it wasn't even completely free. But its functional and in the end, I has a great time building it. Need to finish the front screen and attach it, but I feel like I am in the home stretch.