New boom lift for log skiding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironhead

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Made me a new boom for skiding logs out of the woodlot. Keep in mind that i know this is very dangerous and do'nt grab more than the tractor will handle.

Tongs

fishhuntcutwood said:
Looks like you know your way around fabrication. Nicely done. Have you field tested it yet? Have you thought about just using tongs off the end of the boom?

Regardless, looks well done.

Jeff
I have a set that i will hang off of the middle lifting lug. It will lift more weight there and less likely for the front of the tractor to come up.Gary

With turf tires you will probably lose traction and slide long before you generate enough torque to flip over backwards.

Newfie said:
With turf tires you will probably lose traction and slide long before you generate enough torque to flip over backwards.
This is true! I had chains on the tractor and just took them off yesterday morning before taking the pictures.It will sure bite with the chains. Gary

ironhead said:
This is true! I had chains on the tractor and just took them off yesterday morning before taking the pictures.It will sure bite with the chains. Gary

You seem to know it but I will mention it anyway. Dragging with it hooked to the boom, you have the load pulling way above the axle line. If the log catches on something a quick back flip can result faster than you can stop it.

Harry K

Back