MS201TC-M Very Hard Pull - redux, 4 new saws compared

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHden

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
After reading a past, lengthy thread on an MS201TC with very hard pull, I decided it was time to make some comparisons of saws, with tests.

These saws are all new with the MS170 having the most use, but only 15 tanks or so. Same for the MS261.

The MS201TCM is a knuckle buster. Some have told me I'm weak and there may be some validity to that. Here are the measurement, performed with an accurate scale, after one or two slow pulls to lube things a bit on cold saws. Pull tests were fast enough to not allow bleed of the compression. These are peak after three pulls each.

"Knuckle Buster" MS201TCM - 30 lb.
MS261 (comp release not active) - 24
MS261 (comp release active) - 7
MS170 - 11
MS151T - 12

Unable to check compression, not confident in the gauge/adapter. Plug out, feels smooth, slight increase in resistance depending on rot. angle. Plug in, starter off, turn by hand, seems similar to the rope pull.

Runs well but a bit stubborn on idle for a few minutes. I don't like the sound of it though. All the other saws have a "better" sound which I will make a feeble attempt to describe here:

The other saws idle sounds: "bumm bumm bumm bumm bumm ..." smooth

The MS201TCM sound: more like a "boom boom boom boom boom ..." harsher

It also sounds somewhat like it's 4 stroking at all RPMs.

I guess I really need to get a good compression reading. I thought I had this solved by adding a second pawl and better lube on the rope pulley shaft, but no.

Took another shot at compression. The MS170 reads 148 with the same gauge. With the 10mm adapter, the MS201TCM only reads 90. The O-rings are good and it should be sealing but something seems off.

Has anyone else seen and fixed this? Again, the saw is new, has only been idled and run on and off to half throttle for warmups.

Latest posts

Back