Four Stroke Chainsaw from Aldi

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yackcountryman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After many years of reading old threads and chat about the production of a four stroke chainsaw and how big they need to be, how gutless,,,, and bla bla bla, well the German retailer Aldi has just released in Australia this week a 47cc four stroke that runs on Unleaded fuel, not a two stroke mix as is the case from Stihl. At a cost of $199. Cheap it is, but more expensive than a Chinese 83cc two stroke which would eat wood faster than this little thing. It also comes with a 3 year Warranty and Aldi has already recruited some Stihl shops as authorised repair agents,,,, go figure.,, must be that German connection.

A brief history, i worked for Stihl as a mechanic, am a qualified marine mechanic and a life long motorcycle and old car fanatic. I used to develop power pipes to make the bikes quicker in my younger days, got into playing with pistons and cylinders (jugs) so when i was asked to build race saws for the fanatics that race them at Shows, i was in my happy place. Years later i have a shed full of Stihl saws and one Husky 40 Rancher thats in need of parts, an old Sachs 100 , and sadly a Ryobi 4040 which I inherited.

So when the chance arrived to get my hands on a four stroke chainsaw i couldn’t get to the store quick enough. Once back home and Having filled it with fuel and bar oil, which by the way has to be high quality 10-30 four stroke engine oil, yep you guessed it,, the motor uses the oil from the bar oil tank to lube the motor,,, it must then spit it out to lube the bar. I primed the carby, pulled the choke and pulled the starter cord three times and she fired up, ran for 15 seconds then stuttered indicating it was flooding. Choke in, It idled smooth, a brief hit of the throttle proved a good and very strong engine response with a heavy 4 stroke sound and a splutter in the high end of the revs that seems closely linked to an electronic ignition cutout to prevent over revving. Its acceleration is very quick,, quicker than my two strokes, i think,,

I put the sound meter on it, at one meter 103 db, at six meters 93 db. I am not sure how that compares to an 017 or 024 super which i own, but when i get to the comparison, we’ll have a better understanding. So more to follow with this little saw.

It sounds a lot like a worked Yamaha YZF50 if they make anything that small, i doubt the Chinese would have invented this,, i am very sceptical about its durability and longevity,, i bought it to play with,, nothing else. Whats the worst that can happen through my tests and comparo if i end up destroying it,,,, i cut some wood for the house,,, bonus!

I’ll drop a few pictures of it on here and if i can set up my phone to record a cut , i’ll do that too, including a shot of the tappets, filter area and carby etc.
I have already read that its made in China,, i’ll past a pic of the label too.

Stay tuned and we’ll see how this thing performs over the coming months,, and years if it lasts that long.
Yack.

I missed a new China made 4stroke saw on eBay about a year ago. I wanted it out of curiosity more than anything else. Wonder what the torque is like in the cut. The oil sharing system don't sound the greatest, especially when I use canola for bar oil, I doubt it would like that. Would be good to see some pics of this contraption.

Yes, very interesting. I'm sure everyone wants to know what it weighs.
So it must run a dry sump, I wonder how the pickup is situated so to evacuate the oil in various cutting positions.
Also wonder if they run pressurized oil through the big end.
Nice that it always gets clean oil in there.

So is this a total loss oil system and requires filling the oil tank along with the fuel tank, or is there some recirculation of the oil?

Yes, very interesting. I'm sure everyone wants to know what it weighs.
So it must run a dry sump, I wonder how the pickup is situated so to evacuate the oil in various cutting positions.
Also wonder if they run pressurized oil through the big end.
Nice that it always gets clean oil in there.
What is a dry sump?
Do you mean a sump and not a crankcase? I would think any 4 stroke saw or trimmer would need a sump and not a crankcase in which it can get proper oil regardless of being upside down or not?

the honda strimmers with the back pack has the same set up , rather weird tho , had never looked into it until i was chatting to the dealer , i was asking about it , how does it oil the crank etc if its at a weird angle or orientation, so is it a dry sump setup ???? he said no its like a 2 stroke , but no fule in there hmmmm ok i,ll pass lol

Four stroke more torque, wider power band, deeper set takers maybe .040" / .050", I'm not sure if the added weight is worth it.

I was thinking about a big four stroke engine on the processor cut off blade. Ain't gonna carry that in the woods. Lol

I think the rotation of the saw blade is limited to 90 degrees unless the bar can be rotated as the power head stays vertical so the oil sump position doesn't change.

What is a dry sump?
Do you mean a sump and not a crankcase? I would think any 4 stroke saw or trimmer would need a sump and not a crankcase in which it can get proper oil regardless of being upside down or not?

As already mentioned, a dry sump is just a term for a system that pumps oil through the crankcase/sump, so the crank isn't getting splash from a quantity of oil residing with it.
It isn't actually dry, the oil circulates constantly between the crankcase and a tank, in this case the bar oil tank. If the system is under pressure somewhere in the circuit (typically gets pumped into the the crank end and out the big end if it uses plain bearings) then a low pressure switch could be used to kill the motor when the oil runs out.

Otherwise it's not functionally all that different than oil injection where you can still run out of oil before gas also.

There's a pressure switch on the oil pressure side to shut the saw off in case it runs out of oil at the crank. I guess the connecting rod is lubed and throws oil to the piston.

Dry sump, no oil in the crankcase to slow the crank down. It's pumped back to the oil tank. Where can I buy one? There are four stroke weed wackers but there heavier.

Add liquid cooled, four valves per cylinder, porting, turbo charged then count me in.
You could go the way of GP race bikes 5valve fuel injection &on &on & on:blob2::blob2: My vote is for the KISS principle

There's a pressure switch on the oil pressure side to shut the saw off in case it runs out of oil at the crank. I guess the connecting rod is lubed and throws oil to the piston.
How is the top end lubed rockers, valve stems etc.Wonder what happens to the oil drain back if the saw/motor is worked a period of time with the motor horizontal rather than vertical

Well if it works like a drysump on a car there are two pull pumps, 1 for pressure and 1 for vacuum to suck the oil out, and you'd just have a couple pickups in the head to pull the oil out rather than rely on gravity.

I do want to get this straight, this is Aldi the discount grocery store right?

Latest posts

Back