Four Stroke Chainsaw from Aldi

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...then add a blower and nitrous...might even be able to wring the power of a 2-stroke out of it! :numberone:
If this is the start of the four stroke scene as it was years ago when motorcross bike were released with four stroke motors,, everyone said they’d be too heavy , lack the power etc,, now they dominate the racing industry and are quicker than two strokes..
For the trusty old chainsaw its just a matter of time before all the manufacturers get on board. But it is fun playing with it as a primitive version for now.

If this is the start of the four stroke scene as it was years ago when motorcross bike were released with four stroke motors,, everyone said they’d be too heavy , lack the power etc,, now they dominate the racing industry and are quicker than two strokes..
For the trusty old chainsaw its just a matter of time before all the manufacturers get on board. But it is fun playing with it as a primitive version for now.
I just looked up the motocross lap times from Budds Creek. 2.15 for 125 two cycle, 2.06 pro 450. Best ones at least vs moto 1.

There is a lot of room for discussion pertaining to the above. The four cycle had a wider spread of usable power (for racing).

I would like to hear about vibration and how dangerous the muffler is for chain sharpening (burns).

4 stroke bikes are easier to fast on because you have a wider spread of power compared to a 2 stroke.
I don't think that helps a saw at all tho, who cuts at half throttle?
4 strokes are quite a bit better on gas and that would be nice at times while cutting.

4-strokes took over the outboard market, and now if you want a decent size 2-stroke motor you only have one choice that I know of -- Evinrude E-Tec.

I still say 4 stroke outboards are heavy, piggish (except on fuel), expensive to buy, expensive to maintain, won't work worth a damn on many older boats built to trim right with a lighter 2-stroke, etc. If I want a 4-stroke in a boat, I'll use a GM 350 for a small fraction of the cost of a 4-stroke that hangs out in the breeze, fouls lines, and costs a fortune to maintain and fix.

The sad thing for 2 stroke tech is that it was dumped by many major manufacturers as they saw no future in them with the modern emission laws EPA regs. Although a few pursued the 2 stroke & engineered ways of making them compliant. Imagine if the money that went into modern outboard/dirt bike 4stroke designs went into 2 stroke tech! Imagine where the small engine 2 strokes could be today. Big companies need certainty to plan for their future....sadly 4stroke gave that certainty they were after.

Only because the rules heavily favor them. The small bike class gives four strokes twice the displacement- 250 vs 125. The large bike class gives them close to twice the displacement- 450 vs 250. If the displacement was the same there'd be no contest.

Even if they did 450 v 300 that would be a closer match.
But it is too easy to say that the skilled rider utilizing the advantages and mitigating the disadvantages of the 2 stroke is only better because it is a 2 stroke.

But anyway, any updates on the Aldi Saw?

I weakened and bought one to see what they are like. After running mine i discovered a lot of oil pouring out behind the oil pump and not much oil on the chain. This looked like it would be easy to fix so i pulled it apart rather than taking it back for warranty. When i pulled it apart i found that the hose going from the oil pump to bar plate was kinked so no oil would pass through and it blew the hose off the oil pump end. Once i put the hose back on in the right position it worked fine. The oil pump is just a reed valve screwed to the sump with a cover over it that the oiler hose pushes onto. Crankcase pressure must push the reed valve open on the downstroke and close it on the upstroke.Chainsaw 016.jpg Chainsaw 017.jpg

Only because the rules heavily favor them. The small bike class gives four strokes twice the displacement- 250 vs 125. The large bike class gives them close to twice the displacement- 450 vs 250. If the displacement was the same there'd be no contest.

Exactly. Imagine carrying around a 140cc 4 stroke saw to get the same power of a 70cc two stroke.

Where do all 2 strokes make their power? At the top end of the revs. Where is all chainsaw use for cutting? Also at the top end of the revs. Chainsaws do not need linear throttle response.

View attachment 669195 View attachment 669186 View attachment 669190 View attachment 669191 View attachment 669192 View attachment 669185

had a bit of experience with four stroke exhausts on small engines and learnt there is a fine balance with exhaust opening at the muffler, air intake with a small amount of vacuum and back pressure on the exhaust.
While I am happy to experiment with exhaust opening ,, i have to keep in mind that there are no spare parts for this machine yet. So if what i do makes it worse, i then have to be able to reverse what i have done,,, eg: weld the hole back to something smaller.

Hi - I just got one of these little things and am surprised at how good it is. Gave it a good test with most of a redgum tree and it’s a gutsy little thing! Chain isn’t great though, or maybe I need to get better at sharpening...

I wanted to ask though - did your rocker cover have a hole in it for the breather hose that goes to the carburettor? Mine was not drilled out and hence the top of the engine is sealed and the breather hose does nothing. I assumed a casting fault and drilled it out, but wondering now if I have upset the operation of the reed valve oil pump by allowing crankcase pressure to vent to the carburettor...

Aldi had a new model recently, I bought one for my Dad but didn’t get a chance to try it out.

Dad is pushing 70 and the late 60s vintage Stihl monster (the saw he taught me on as a kid!) is getting a bit much to handle. It’s a freaking beast... He needed a light and easy saw for smaller wood, and loves his 4 stroke whipper snippet.

Anyhoo, the new model doesn’t share oil between bar and engine - it’s got three tanks now. Bar also has a normal worm drive oil pump. Engine has its own dedicated oil sump like the 4 stroke whipper snippers.
Also has a much better chain, and the whole case and carb design is much improved. Much nicer looking machine.

Still a pushrod OHV unit.

Aldi had a new model recently, I bought one for my Dad but didn’t get a chance to try it out.

Das is pushing 70 and the late 60s vintage Stihl monster (the saw he taught me on as a kid!) is getting a bit much to handle. It’s a freaking beast... He needed a light and easy saw for smaller wood, and loves his 4 stroke whipper snippet.

Anyhoo, the new model doesn’t share oil between bar and engine - it’s got three tanks now. Bar also has a normal worm drive oil pump. Engine has its own dedicated oil sump like the 4 stroke whipper snippers.
Also has a much better chain, and the whole case and carb design is much improved. Much nicer looking machine.

Still a pushrod OHV unit.

Interested in hearing more about this one, if you'd be willing to get some pics and keep us posted about long term durability.

Interesting thread, yes I am a believer in 4 stroke engines, it took awhile for them to catch on in boats and snowmobiles but now days they are very common.

Interested in hearing more about this one, if you'd be willing to get some pics and keep us posted about long term durability.

Forgot to get some photos before I handed it off to the old man, but I'll report what he reckons.

He has only ever had the one saw his Dad bought new back in 1967 and it has been in permanent use ever since. One engine rebuild. The local Sthil shop gave him a stack of parts for it recently on the basis there are so few left in operation now he was never going to sell them! Its a bloody monster of a thing. Zero safety features. has scared the crap out of me a few times. But damn it cuts well!

If the Aldi one is no good, I'll get him one of the new lightweight Husqvarna saws. But he is like me, a bit of a tech head and the 4 stroke appeals on novelty value alone :)

I bought one of the first 4 stroke saws from Aldi and it is still going. I did have to replace the spark plug because it started doing strange things. It sounded like it was running lean at times and was hard to start. After going through everything in the fuel system and checking valve clearances i decided to put a new NGK plug in it , which fixed it. The chain has stretched a lot and was hard to sharpen because it had hard lumps of chrome on some teeth, but once i used a grinder to get through the first bit of hard chrome i can now hand file the chain so it cuts good.

I bought one of the first 4 stroke saws from Aldi and it is still going. I did have to replace the spark plug because it started doing strange things. It sounded like it was running lean at times and was hard to start. After going through everything in the fuel system and checking valve clearances i decided to put a new NGK plug in it , which fixed it. The chain has stretched a lot and was hard to sharpen because it had hard lumps of chrome on some teeth, but once i used a grinder to get through the first bit of hard chrome i can now hand file the chain so it cuts good.
That's a good tip I need to try - its seems like the file does nothing...

Failing that, what brand would people recommend as a decent replacement chain for this thing?

Latest posts

Back