Two stroke fuel ratios

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. I would never recommend 50:1 within any commercial saw application , even with Saber or Red Armor etc .
That's interesting because all the husqvarna manuals I have from the late 1980's to recent all say to use 50:1 they do recommend husqvarna oil of course. I'm curious to what husqvarna recommends over with you, I know the US Gallon is less than a UK Gallon but the manuals are in Litres. But a ratio is the same whatever your doing.
My old Kawasaki hedge cutter has moulded into the filler cap 25:1 this has been used only by myself since I bought in new around 1990 and been run on the same fuel as all my saws and took the carb off a few weeks ago to give it a good clean and piston & cylinder looked almost as new, also plug was clean. In fact everything perfect and ready for the next 20+ years which I am definitely not 🥵

That's interesting because all the husqvarna manuals I have from the late 1980's to recent all say to use 50:1 they do recommend husqvarna oil of course. I'm curious to what husqvarna recommends over with you, I know the US Gallon is less than a UK Gallon but the manuals are in Litres. But a ratio is the same whatever your doing.
My old Kawasaki hedge cutter has moulded into the filler cap 25:1 this has been used only by myself since I bought in new around 1990 and been run on the same fuel as all my saws and took the carb off a few weeks ago to give it a good clean and piston & cylinder looked almost as new, also plug was clean. In fact everything perfect and ready for the next 20+ years which I am definitely not 🥵
Pretty sure Husky recommends 32:1 in pro saws over 70cc nowadays to help cut down on lack of oil related engine failures.

Pretty sure Husky recommends 32:1 in pro saws over 70cc nowadays to help cut down on lack of oil related engine failures.
It's been like that for years. My 390xp and 394xp manual both reccomend 32 to 1 in heavy duty applications. The 394 is an early 2000's model and the 390xp is a 2014 (I think)

Isn't the excepted standard for testing an oil in chainsaws run three tanks of fuel pull topend and declare best oil ever? 🤔 lol

Don’t believe they pull the top end, they just look through the exhaust port. Anything that resembles a shine is good enough

Not even that, it's that the person's saw didn't immediately blow up, and that their Wild Thing "feels strong when I rev it!"

Dunno why you folks are spending your hard earned money on Red Armor and XP+, Dollar General oil passed that testing! Best oil in the world, right there!

https://www.dollargeneral.com/p/drive-mxd--cycle-oil-fl-oz/85051400078

100 ml of oil will require 4 litres or just over 1 us gallon (3.78 l.) of fuel for 40:1 Jake . Saw cylinder mettalurgy & oil technology govern the oil ratio changes over the last 20 yrs in my opinion . Before Nikisil cylinders a lot of galling & scoring was occurring requiring heavier viscosity oils & mix ratio's . 32:1 prior to 2003 was the norm . Around 20 10 with better oil & saw cylinder construction 40:1 became more prevalent . Today most saw manufacturers recommend 50:1 along with epa . restrictions . I find this a little to little other than with recreational saw usage & a fat tune . I would never recommend 50:1 within any commercial saw application , even with Saber or Red Armor etc .
Agreed, I go for a little more oil than 50:1, 40/45:1 and decent JASO rated oil designed for chainsaws/trimmers. I tune for this. I listen to my engines and occasionally check tuning with a tach. Don't stress/overheat them with too much load.

Its a simple as that

That guy is a complete joke and his tests suck.
To do a statistically valid test would require dozens if saws for starters.
I always thought he seems to do a good, unbiased, job on testing. He seems to be smart and capable of setting up fair ways to test. I don't think a bunch of chainsaws are necessary. I think a leaf blower that is under the same constant load would be better for finding changes in engine temperatures due to different oil ratios. Too much heat is the engines enemy.
Do you know of anyone that would be good for some testing?

My Pioneers have 16:1 etched into the fuel cap . They run on 44:1 premium synthetic & ethanol free 91 octane into 5 Imp. Gallon Container. P.S. Pretty sure I stated that majority of saw manufacturers recommend 50:1 ( that includes Husquarna) Our local dealer specifies 50:1 with xp across the board including their professional series saws . I do not believe 50:1 is adequate for any Commercial saw applications , perhaps with Red Armor or Dominator . Just my opinion ! P.S. 3.78 litres = 1 us gal / 4.5 litres = 1 Imp . gal. ( Canadian or UK gal) . I always mix a little fat & tune the same accordingly .

Agreed, I go for a little more oil than 50:1, 40/45:1 and decent JASO rated oil designed for chainsaws/trimmers. I tune for this. I listen to my engines and occasionally check tuning with a tach. Don't stress/overheat them with too much load.

Its a simple as that
Yep , that's safe with premium oil & proper tune . In any Milling Application I always recommend 32:1 at the very least . I use my tach also on my ported saws , since the coils can sometimes fool my old ears lol.

I always thought he seems to do a good, unbiased, job on testing. He seems to be smart and capable of setting up fair ways to test. I don't think a bunch of chainsaws are necessary. I think a leaf blower that is under the same constant load would be better for finding changes in engine temperatures due to different oil ratios. Too much heat is the engines enemy.
Do you know of anyone that would be good for some testing?
I've never see a single test he has done that's not full of holes. Not to mention they fact the tests even if done right have zero statistical validity.
How would a leaf blower ran at constant speed tell you a single thing about how the same oil would work in a saw that is ran at much higher land and variable throttle. It simply won't.
Heat isn't the enemy. The more power you make the hotter an engine will run. Uncontrolled heat can be a problem, but the fixation on heat by guys like you is misplaced. If you had ever watched an EGT gauge on a running two stroke motor you would quickly realise that load impacts EGT alot, much more so than a small change in oil to fuel ratio. Likewise temperature and other atmospheric conditions impact EGT alot and much more so than oil ratio.

Just had a quick look on husqvarna uk and the manual for a 592xp says 50:1 here is the link to the manual
https://www-static-nw.husqvarna.com...OM/tw6l0gXZwzds6SWvwYbneRiKtOM?httproute=True
If we use their brand of fuel I think it's called power and that has xp oil at 50:1
Most pro users i know run at 50:1 where most diy users probably use more stihl oil only because it seems to be pushed more and available at reasonable price and I know of folks who just add it to the tank so that ratio is anyone's guess, the dont keeps saws long and wonder why they dont run right, best not to even think about that.

My Pioneers have 16:1 etched into the fuel cap . They run on 44:1 premium synthetic & ethanol free 91 octane into 5 Imp. Gallon Container. P.S. Pretty sure I stated that majority of saw manufacturers recommend 50:1 ( that includes Husquarna) Our local dealer specifies 50:1 with xp across the board including their professional series saws . I do not believe 50:1 is adequate for any Commercial saw applications , perhaps with Red Armor or Dominator . Just my opinion ! P.S. 3.78 litres = 1 us gal / 4.5 litres = 1 Imp . gal. ( Canadian or UK gal) . I always mix a little fat & tune the same accordingly .
All Stihl manuals here for decades used to say that if not using Stihl oil run 25:1.
Guess saw manufacturers are as confused as oil threads 😆

images (12).jpeg

That's really intresting, I know you definitely cut more bigger timber than the uk, I been using aspen type fuel for years and will never go back to petrol now. Yes it costs more but for me it works out fine as I dont cut anywhere near what i used to, now it's a hobby. I know in Sweden aspen is mostly used and not many run petrol. All i can think of is husqvarna is covering themselves and maybe the US fuel is so bad. There is a lot about it causing problems with carbs etc. But on the other hand plenty of pro's are running petrol day in day out and for them if a saw goes down it's time and money lost.
Obviously husqvarna and stihl will want you to use their oils, for them to put their name to it they would have done plenty of research, now with so many ratings to confuse everyone and so many oils, some times as the saying goes "ignorance is bliss" 😇
I dont think you'll ho far wrong sticking with whatever the manufacturer says, it makes sence....... whichever country your in, why the inconsistency of ratios looks like one of lifes mysteries, bit like ufo's 🤷‍♂️
Keep cutting and stay safe 👍

16:1 is a good ratio to run if you are rich lol

I've done that on accident. Was running MX2T at 32:1, no dye, couldn't tell and couldn't remember 100% if I'd already mixed in oil. Added another dose, because running 16:1 is a lot better than running 128:0, but could tell by the smell afterwards that I'd double-dosed. So be it.

Latest posts

Back