Two stroke fuel ratios

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All Stihl manuals here for decades used to say that if not using Stihl oil run 25:1.
Guess saw manufacturers are as confused as oil threads 😆

View attachment 1107495
Yep , your absolutely correct brother . Premium oils certainly help . Stihl
proprietary protocols & shoddy local dealerships , turned me away from Stihl back in the 90's !

I'm sure it's the same as the generic Craftsman or Oregon oil at Home Depot. Work fine, I'd run it in a pinch and not worry, but there's better available for everyday use.
Been using the ace hardware flavor lately working good in my saw cutting yellow pine. Now the saw is covered in pitch and i need to find something that will remove it.

Yep , my brother inlaw has one . Fills the oil reservior once a year lol.
Funny this comes up and off the subject. However, i have a 90 horse 08 Optimax that I bought last summer. It uses so little fuel that I swore the gas gauge was broke. When I first got the outboard , I filled the oil resevior . A few tanks of gas later I was sure I needed some more DFI oil. It's a 2 gallon resevior . I filled it back up and it took about quart of oil to replace 17 gallons of gas. That is a 68/1 ratio. It takes 100/1 at idle and 50/ full throttle. However, I am amazed how little gas it takes, and I hear the E techs are even easier on gas... Now, lets continue this endless debate .

Funny this comes up and off the subject. However, i have a 90 horse 08 Optimax that I bought last summer. It uses so little fuel that I swore the gas gauge was broke. When I first got the outboard , I filled the oil resevior . A few tanks of gas later I was sure I needed some more DFI oil. It's a 2 gallon resevior . I filled it back up and it took about quart of oil to replace 17 gallons of gas. That is a 68/1 ratio. It takes 100/1 at idle and 50/ full throttle. However, I am amazed how little gas it takes, and I hear the E techs are even easier on gas... Now, lets continue this endless debate .
My outboard calls for 50:1 but i use 40:1
Use either Pennzoil or supertech outboard in mine.

Keep in mind DFI outboards have no fuel in the crankcase. They also have oiler ports that directly feed the bearings in many cases.

At my Stihl dealer , I bought the 12.8 fl. oz . Stihl orange bottle. If I buy 6 at a time, I get them for $5.40 each.. Is that a decent price?? I figure it is $54.00 per gallon... Another Stihl dealer wanter $78 for a gal. jug so I passed and glad I did.

Low quality oil at a high price.
BWalker, what makes it a low quality oil? I wont argue, cause I didnt know it was low quality. it is not the ultra. I can take it back any time I want so it doesnt matter to me. What is a better oil and what makes your favorite oil better. I'm just asking, I dont care what oil I run as long as it's good oil. One post above tagged an add about Huskvarna oil. Is that good? Later , ihookem.

BWalker, what makes it a low quality oil? I wont argue, cause I didnt know it was low quality. it is not the ultra. I can take it back any time I want so it doesnt matter to me. What is a better oil and what makes your favorite oil better. I'm just asking, I dont care what oil I run as long as it's good oil. One post above tagged an add about Huskvarna oil. Is that good? Later , ihookem.
Any oil certified JASO FD is higher quality than stihl. Husqvarna or Echo oil is good stuff!

Stihl oils are low quality, yet expensive. Ultra is even worse than Orange bottle.
There are plenty of other oils out there that are cheaper and carry a JASO FD certification. Not the crappy early 80's FB quality level oil Stihl sells in the US.

WD-40 doesn't touch Poderosa Pine or Douglas Fir sap.
If someone has a cleaning solution for these I am all years.
I use rubbing alcohol on my folding saw and knife blades to clean off the pine sap. Cutting dead pines to get the fatwood leaves quite a mess on the blades. Get the 90% rubbing alcohol. It melts/dissolves the pine sap pretty good.

L8R,
Matt

Latest posts

Back