Wrong Mix Ration of Gas/Oil for 2-cycle engine - New Craftsman Chain Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James1985

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello. I mixed the engine oils and gas with wrong ratio for my new Craftsman chainsaw with 2-cycle engine. After several seconds I started the engine, white smoke came up. I immediately turned off the engine. I thought that I had flooded the engine. So, I removed the spark plug and cleaned. Then I started the chain saw again. - The same thing happened. I finally noticed that I mixed the oil with wrong ratio.

Actually, I was even not understanding the significance of the gas/oil ratio. So, I mixed 1:50 engine oil without measuring the gas properly.

I drained all of gas/oil mixes from the tank. However, I think the gas/oil are still remaining in the engine since I had primed enough? Could I possibly remove all of the remaining gas/oil without running the saw? Could someone please advise? Thank you!

Hello. I mixed the engine oils and gas with wrong ratio for my new Craftsman chainsaw with 2-cycle engine. After several seconds I started the engine, white smoke came up. I immediately turned off the engine. I thought that I had flooded the engine. So, I removed the spark plug and cleaned. Then I started the chain saw again. - The same thing happened. I finally noticed that I mixed the oil with wrong ratio.

Actually, I was even not understanding the significance of the gas/oil ratio. So, I mixed 1:50 engine oil without measuring the gas properly.

I drained all of gas/oil mixes from the tank. However, I think the gas/oil are still remaining in the engine since I had primed enough? Could I possibly remove all of the remaining gas/oil without running the saw? Could someone please advise? Thank you!

Did you mix 2.6 ounces of oil with a tank of gas ?

Sorry, what I meant to say that was about 1.5 bottles of 2.6 ounce of 2-cycle oil which is meant for 1:50. I put the oil to 2 gallons of gas. And, I think I previously mixed another 2-cycle oil before, but not sure. So, it's a mess😂 I don't know what the ratio is.

So the mix you made is about 1:65

If there is a purge bulb on the saw then I would fill it with the right mix and pump that purge bulb for a while to mix the bad ratio with the good stuff before trying to start it.

If it were me, I would pour the mix into a gas powered vehicle and start over with your mixing process. A pretty inexpensive solution..
When you say "mix", that means 2-cycle oil, correct? Many people advised me that too much oil is better than less oil. That makes sense!

So the mix you made is about 1:65

If there is a purge bulb on the saw then I would fill it with the right mix and pump that purge bulb for a while to mix the bad ratio with the good stuff before trying to start it.
I think that is right. Now I recall I hadn't mixed oil previously. So, I'm sure that I put less oil. And, the oil I used is for 1:50, but my chainsaw needs 1:40 ratio.

I think that is right. Now I recall I hadn't mixed oil previously. So, I'm sure that I put less oil. And, the oil I used is for 1:50, but my chainsaw needs 1:40 ratio.
The oil type doesn't determine ratio, the amount of oil per gallon determines ratio. I highly doubt you went 1 to 50. That means for ever one part of gas you had 50 parts oil. If you double dosed for a 2 gallon mix it would be more like 25 to 1. Which if tuned for the saw would run just fine. Smoke at start up is pretty normal till the saw get some heat in it.

When you say "mix", that means 2-cycle oil, correct? Many people advised me that too much oil is better than less oil. That makes sense!
It means your gas and oil mix that you are not sure what ratio you mixed, regardless of whether it was 2 cycle oil or motor oil. Burn it in something else and start over with a fresh mix of known ratios of oil to gas for your chainsaw.

Sorry, what I meant to say that was about 1.5 bottles of 2.6 ounce of 2-cycle oil which is meant for 1:50. I put the oil to 2 gallons of gas. And, I think I previously mixed another 2-cycle oil before, but not sure. So, it's a mess😂 I don't know what the ratio is.
James ,like the other guys said, dump what you have mixed into your auto or lawn mower. I'm not sure if you saw is 40:1 or 50:1. READ your manual and buy the correct size bottle of oil for your saw. If your saw is 40:1 you need a 3.2 oz size bottle for 1 gallon of gas. NO MORE than 1gallon of gas for that amount of oil. I don't think I'd worry about the miniscule amount of the other mix in your saw once you get the correct fuel in it.

40:1 or 50:1 won't make much difference if you are using a good quality modern two stroke oil. Dump out what's in the tank and refill with the ratio of your choice and go to work. It may smoke for a minute until the carburetor and fuel lines get purged. If you saw has a purge bulb (primer) you certainly can pump it 20, 30, 40 times or more to purge the excess oil mix out of the carburetor and back to the tank where it will be diluted with the fresh mix in the tank.

Mark

This makes getting the right ratio easy:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/ratio-rite-measuring-cup-p
No math, just look up the ratio and the fuel amount.

If you mixed 40:1 instead of 50:1 or vice versa it should run fine with about the same amount of smoke.

If your saw is brand new it likely has some extra oil or assembly lube inside the engine and that's probably what's causing the excess smoke.

If the oil is synthetic, 50:1 RATIO will be fine, but MIGHT/ might not need minor carb adjust; many run ALL their equipment at 50:1 including vintage that originally ran 16:1 with old technology oil.

If you’re new to petro powered saws, as well as being a new member, simplify the fueling by purchasing a can of premixed/engineered fuel. It’s available in clearly labeled 40:1 or 50:1. Another advantage is that it won’t go sour on you if you don’t use your saw frequently; like say daily or weekly. The down side of the stuff is high price. Stihl, Husqvarna, VP and True Fuel all make it in quart and gallon containers, or equivalent in metric volumes. Just open the cap, pour it in the tank and fire it up. If you’re going to be using the saw frequently, shift to your own made premix once you get the hang of mixing two cycle oil and ethanol-free gasoline.

Thank you so much for a lot of advises, everyone! Now I clearly remember how much oil I had mixed with the gas in the past. Even though I used the oil for 1:50 ratio, yes, I can do math to make 1:40 ratio for 2 gallons of the gas😅

Get some good synthetic 2 stroke oil, it comes in a 2.56 oz jug.,I think. Mix with one gallon gas. Easy Peasy. These synthetics are meant for any ratio from 32- 50:1. I use a brand called Tall Timber. Been running it in an old Homelite xl with 14” bar, 27cc, that calls for 32:1. Many years and the piston , cylinder is still shinny clean. Run it in all my saws. About 20 years now. My 2 cents.

Back