New bar smoking a lot--because of kinked chain, clogged oil hole, or too much 2-stroke?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh the arguments I have had with saw owners bringing in saws that wouldn`t cut, chains smoked black from overheating,actually burning the chain lube oil until the chain is blackened. Get the argument the chain is only X numbers of years old and only made a few cuts since new, must be something else causing the no cut problem. Even showing them the damage to the cutters and resulting chain chassis damage they want to carry on the argument that the chain was hardly used. Show them a freshly sharpened or even a new chain and they can`t tell the difference other than their chain still has big cutters and not worn back much at all.

Wonder what the rest of these people's lives are like.

Wonder what the rest of these people's lives are like.
I think Ben summed it up very well in the post above ^, I strongly advise you not to try teaching the average Joe how to sharpen a chainsaw chain unless you have the patience of the Pope.

And then they worry you are going to take too much off. We have all had saws that running and oiling problems were cured by a sharpening. Of course the bar was in need of a grind by then also (or replacement).

I think Ben summed it up very well in the post above ^, I strongly advise you not to try teaching the average Joe how to sharpen a chainsaw chain unless you have the patience of the Pope.
There was a huge demand for chainsaw sharpening after an ice storm a few years back. Girlfriend asked why I didn't offer my services.

Easy, I don't want to have some wingnut try and cut concrete, then come back to me demanding to know why my sharpening job only lasted two minutes.

There was a huge demand for chainsaw sharpening after an ice storm a few years back. Girlfriend asked why I didn't offer my services.

Easy, I don't want to have some wingnut try and cut concrete, then come back to me demanding to know why my sharpening job only lasted two minutes.
It's not worth the headache and dealing with the public sucks.

Lot more hobbyist/home owner types than the serious chainsaw operator. I was fortunate that an uncle gave me a bunch of tips. Long before the internet.He was an old school logger in his spare time. He was actually the only chainsaw guy I knew back then.

Latest posts

Back