Stihl 361 Overheated

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hendr1x

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have a 361 that I bought used about 5 years ago. I use it 2-3 times a year without issue. This year I started it up for the first time, first cut went fine/ran perfect...second went a little slow. Third bogged down and stopped. I started it again...died after 15 seconds and wouldn't start again. It was at that point I realized it was overheating. Any ideas what could have happened? I know 100% that my gas/oil mixture was perfect. My saws always drain their chain lube out while they sit so I was thinking maybe it lost its prime and couldn't lube the chain at all. That never happened before but I can't come up with anything else. I'm doubtful if that would cause the entire saw to overheat so quick. Any ideas on what went wrong and what I should do from here? I'm assuming its destroyed :(

Thanks for any ideas!

Lean by carb tuning or air leak. On a 2-3 times per year use saw, the plastics can unnoticeably get hard or brittle, and leak. You'd need to pull it apart and check the crank for blueing. Also check for a clogged muffler screen. Sounds like you need to fix the oil leak anyway...

It sounds like you seized it.

To check for damage remove the spark plug and muffler and turn the engine over to where the piston is visible through the exhaust port. If it seized it the piston skirt under the crown will be scored.

You'll need a new piston and rings at a minimum plus gaskets and new wrist pin bearing and piston circlips. The cylinder may be salvageable. Then you'll need to figure out why it seized. You can inspect the premix for oil by checking for color but some oils skimp on the dye so it's not always easy to tell if it's premix. You can check the crank seals by doing a pressure test.

Thanks for all the input. That all makes sense. Sad day indeed. I'll dig into it but I've got a lot of other work to do at the moment. Add it to the project list.

I really wish I could replace it with another 361. Whats the opinions on the 362? Are all the emissions stuff a headache? Is there any the similar size/power saws that are recommended highly?

Hey everyone,
I have a 361 that I bought used about 5 years ago. I use it 2-3 times a year without issue. This year I started it up for the first time, first cut went fine/ran perfect...second went a little slow. Third bogged down and stopped. I started it again...died after 15 seconds and wouldn't start again. It was at that point I realized it was overheating. Any ideas what could have happened? I know 100% that my gas/oil mixture was perfect. My saws always drain their chain lube out while they sit so I was thinking maybe it lost its prime and couldn't lube the chain at all. That never happened before but I can't come up with anything else. I'm doubtful if that would cause the entire saw to overheat so quick. Any ideas on what went wrong and what I should do from here? I'm assuming its destroyed :(

Thanks for any ideas!
Sure sounds like it is internal damage but I'm curious as to why you mentioned the chain lube. Does the chain turn freely? Even if the chain is locked up, the saw should at least idle unless the clutch is stuck engaged as well. Maybe the chain brake is binding and caused clutch to overheat and lock up?

Thanks for all the input. That all makes sense. Sad day indeed. I'll dig into it but I've got a lot of other work to do at the moment. Add it to the project list.

I really wish I could replace it with another 361. Whats the opinions on the 362? Are all the emissions stuff a headache? Is there any the similar size/power saws that are recommended highly?
Skip the 362 and go for the 400. Having said that, your 361 can be fixed and “freshened up” for less than what a 362 or 400 would cost you.

A sitting saw will be worse shape than a saw used weekly. Old fuel (you always run it dry, correct)? Age (refer to first statement). Fuel in can more than 90 days old.
Time for some diagnosis. Vacuum and pressure test as mentioned a MUST. Hint-seal under flywheel, pulse hose, intake boot, cylinder gasket for starters.

Sure sounds like it is internal damage but I'm curious as to why you mentioned the chain lube. Does the chain turn freely?

It was the only issue that I was aware of with the saw. I heard of the pump not priming but I never experienced it. The chain moved fine...I sharpened it right before use.

I swapped in fresh fuel before use. It started and ran great at the start...I think. My ear isn't perfect for these things....I don't know if I can tell if it was running lean or not.

I'll get it on the bench soon but I'm completely over worked right now and simply don't have time.

Latest posts

Back