Four Stroke Chainsaw from Aldi

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the honda strimmers with the back pack has the same set up , rather weird tho , had never looked into it until i was chatting to the dealer , i was asking about it , how does it oil the crank etc if its at a weird angle or orientation, so is it a dry sump setup ???? he said no its like a 2 stroke , but no fule in there hmmmm ok i,ll pass lol
The honda trimmer engine has oil slinger and reed valve. There has been discussion on here before, not sure if this is the best video as it is not in English. One can view the exploded parts sheets at various places on the internet https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...ush-cutter-usa-vin-haha-1000001/crankcase-set

Not sure how many folks commenting on here have seen the exploded view, I have not. I did have a Honda one apart, I think all these things are kind of crude (Honda and Stihl anyway), the valves are parallell to the bore. I had a valve keeper come loose virtually as soon as I revved it up the first time. It did bend the valve just a little bit and eventually I changed it. The lower end is like a two cycle in that the crank is rollers on the big end. I do not recall the wrist pin on the honda but on similar motorcycles a bushing is used there in a four stroke as opposed to a needle bearing on a two cycle.

Franny your right it's new technology still in its dinosaur stage. I'm not for or against it. Ill buy some more older Husqvarna chainsaw s that made the reputation soar for Husqvarna. I'm not into this micro processor stuff yet too. I would like to demo the four stroke chainsaw.

It would be fun to port and polish one of these things and see what happens. Glad to see a company try selling a 4 stroker.

Dunno know what happened there,,

So from my first post about this machine I see there a fair bit of interest in this saw.
I have taken more photos and will try to cross load them to the iPad I am using (wife’s).

To answer some questions first,
1. Aldi is the discount grocery store and they do often have a lot of good gear but in recent years it’s been hit and miss for some items. So when you buy something like this,, you have to give it a good going over before using it. I found a loose screw on the pull starter, no a big concern but annoying if you lose it out in the forest.

2. This is a total loss system of lubrication with what looks to be a dry sump, which appears to be scavenged back to the bar for lube. It must work on RPM to mist lube the top end because it’s not too wet up there, my concern is longevity of the top end. Pics coming.

3. You have to fill the oil tank each time you fill the saw with fuel, it looks as though it holds more than enough oil so that it won’t run dry if you run out of fuel/gas. And yes if it did run out of oil,,, not squeak,, but boom.

4. The saw weight was 6.5kg with a full tank of gas and oil,, not bad for a small saw but is heavier than the two stoke version of the same capacity.

5. Jeremiah you posted a specs sheet of a saw that’s the same as this one I have, I checked yours against the specs of this one and they are the same, so it looks like this Chinese company will sell them to anyone and under any name.

6. Rotation of the saw during use maybe limited to 90 degrees but there is nothing in the user manual saying you can’t run it upside down,, I did for a brief period and it didn’t miss a beat. Won’t chance it for a long run as I don’t want to destroy it just yet as it hasn’t earns its keep.

7. I didn’t notice any low pressure oil switch,, but there maybe one on the bar side.

8. I noticed on a review site that some Aussies were complaining about the quality of the bar and chain, that it jumped off and they couldn’t buy a replacement chain,, this is a 3/8LP 050 gauge so I am not sure why they couldn’t find a saw shop to replace it. Another thing, if you are not happy with the product Aldi replace it, no questions asked. I did take one back because the air filter cover screw was over tightened and wouldn’t come undone, it leaked oil everywhere and I had trouble starting it once I fiddled with the mix screws,,,, no dramas,, took it back and swapped it. The replacement is spot on and runs real nice since I cut a couple of logs with it,,,,, but have not even used a half tank of gas yet as it’s too wet and hasn’t stopped raining for days.

9. Valve Clearance, lifted the lid off and noticed that here is no head on the barrel/jug, just an alloy tapped/valve cover. Took that off and revealed a nice O ring as the gasket which sits nicely into the lid recess so the initial clearance were ,, inlet .020mm. Ex .08mm. I thought that these were a bit out of whack so set them to the following. Inlet .15mm.
Ex .15mm. Reassembled it and it fired first pull and idled a lot smoother,, I didn’t expect it to be any different but it’s made a huge difference to it idle and seems to rev a little cleaner too.

I had a laugh at the comment here about giving it a port and polish then giving a real test in some serious wood. I’d like to do that too,, but wsit till you see the Exhaust port to the muffler opening,,, no room to open it up.

The muffler outlet looks around 70% of the exhaust port, so appears about right,, i might remove the spark arrestor screen though to see if there are any gains in performance. What am I talking about,,, this is a 47.1cc saw after all. But them again, like the race saw mods i did on my 017,, that thing punches well above its weight and everyone who uses it wants to keep it.
So we may see a few gains if i flow the exhaust a bit and have a look at the intake.

Photos coming as soon as I can figure how to move them.

Dung know what happened there,,

So from my first post about this machine I see there a fair bit of interest in this saw.
I have taken more photos and will try to cross load them to the iPad I am using (wife’s).

To answer some questions first,
1. Aldi is the discount grocery store and they do often have a lot of good gear but in recent years it’s been hit and miss for some items.

2. This is a total loss system of lubrication with what looks to be a dry sump which appears to be scavenged back to the bar for lube. It must work on RPM to mist lube the top end because it’s not too wet up there. Pics coming.

3. You have to fill the oil tank each time you fill the saw with fuel, it looks as though it holds more than enough oil so that it won’t run dry if you run out of fuel/gas. And yes if it did run out of oil,,, not squeak,, but boom.

4. The saw weight was 6.5kg with a full tank of gas and oil,, not bad for a small saw but is heavier than the two stoke version of the same capacity.

5. Jeremiah you posted a specs sheet of a saw that’s the same as this one I have, I checked yours against the specs of this one and they are the same, so it looks like this Chinese company will sell them to anyone and under any name.

6. Rotation of the saw during use maybe limited to 90 degrees but there is nothing in the user manual saying you can’t run it upside down,, I did for a brief period and it didn’t miss a beat. Won’t chance it for a long run as I don’t want to destroy it just yet as it hasn’t earns its keep.

7. I didn’t notice any low pressure oil switch,, but there maybe one on the bar side.

8. I noticed on a review site that some Aussies were complaining about the quality of the bar and chain, that it jumped off and they couldn’t buy a replacement chain,, this is a 3/8LP 050 gauge so I am not sure why they couldn’t find a saw shop to replace it. Another thing, if you are not happy with the product Aldi replace it, no questions asked. I did take one back because the air filter cover screw was over tightened and wouldn’t come undone, it leaked oil everywhere and I had trouble starting it once I fiddled with the mix screws,,,, no dramas,, took it back and swapped it. The replacement is spot on and runs real nice since I cut a couple of logs with it,,,,, but have not even used a half tank of gas yet as it’s too wet and hasn’t stopped raining for days.

9. Valve Clearance, lifted the lid off and noticed that here is no head on the barrel/jug, just an alloy tapped/valve cover. Took that off and revealed a nice O ring as the gasket which sits nicely into the lid recess so the initial clearance were ,, inlet .020mm. Ex .08mm. I thought that these were a bit out of whack so set them to the following. Inlet .15mm.
Ex .15mm. Reassembled it and it fired first pull and idled a lot smoother,, I didn’t expect it to be any different but it’s made a huge difference to it idle and seems to rev a little cleaner too.

Photos coming as soon as I can figure how to move them.
I input the valve clearance incorrectly for the initial on the inlet, should have read Inlet, .20mm

4 stroke isn't like 2 stroke. You want the exhaust port exit to be larger than the valve open area and the exhaust piping to be slightly larger than the port. And the muffler exit, if it's a box with no pipe exiting should be larger still.

F2C82040-DC2A-41BE-BCC9-80F238DC09C2.jpeg 095433E1-FDB3-4611-BC6F-E3DE2BEB6550.jpeg AD2428AE-EA7F-486E-94F4-E5080C143FF3.jpeg AC2EE1A7-FB09-4BEA-931D-FC38C2DC476E.jpeg 61DB270D-3CD2-4D1B-84AD-8BC8CE76A943.jpeg 0B5E5C51-B9AF-449A-B799-18CAD8903F16.jpeg
4 stroke isn't like 2 stroke. You want the exhaust port exit to be larger than the valve open area and the exhaust piping to be slightly larger than the port. And the muffler exit, if it's a box with no pipe exiting should be larger still.
had a bit of experience with four stroke exhausts on small engines and learnt there is a fine balance with exhaust opening at the muffler, air intake with a small amount of vacuum and back pressure on the exhaust.
While I am happy to experiment with exhaust opening ,, i have to keep in mind that there are no spare parts for this machine yet. So if what i do makes it worse, i then have to be able to reverse what i have done,,, eg: weld the hole back to something smaller.

Attachments

• 43EB9A39-A2C4-4E58-9D84-2350D9651C13.jpeg
    43EB9A39-A2C4-4E58-9D84-2350D9651C13.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • 07EED945-EC50-4EBB-9610-9B20F0801CFE.jpeg
    07EED945-EC50-4EBB-9610-9B20F0801CFE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
The plastics, especially the top and air filter cover look slightly different to me.

Cool stuff! I would only buy one as a novelty play saw, just cause there different and interesting. But the power to weight ratio would be a reminder why the 2 stoke has dominated O-P-E for well over half a century. But its still cool & would be better if it wasn't a China special. Although I suspect Aldi is pocketing over $150 raw profit per saw. A Baumr SX-82 (Chinese big bore 372 clone) is a much better proposal at $199. But but but...it still ain't a 4stroke so CAD defies logic and allows such a purchase!

Latest posts

Back