Canned premix date codes + stock rotation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OM617YOTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Time to rotate out my canned fuel. What I have left on hand is ~4 years old, and while the fuel is supposed to be good "up to" 5 years unopened, several folks on the forum have had issues. I wanted to make sure I'm not the next one, so rotate it is.

Your date code(for Trufuel at least) can be found in the first five digits that are printed around the rim. The first two digits are the year, the next three digits are the day. This was bottled the 261st day of 2019.

IMG_20230915_124956.jpg

When emptying into my two stroke mix can for easier pouring into the truck, I did notice that the smell had changed. Normally Trufuel smells like carb cleaner, this stuff had a sour note to it, slightly reminiscent of old gasoline. Definitely time to rotate.

IMG_20230915_130817.jpg

Looks clear as water when pouring, with no indication of any oil, which has always bothered me. When all together in a jug, a greenish tinge is visible. Wish they'd spend a wee bit more on fuel dye.

IMG_20230915_130654.jpg

Just for grins, I fired up my 034S, which has been stored on this fuel for over a year now. Six pulls, fired right up and idled like normal. This is why I run this stuff.

All in the truck now. If the truck blows up from 2 gallons of Trufuel mixed in with 30 gallons of gasoline, I'll let you all know. Also, hat tip to whoever invented the jiggler siphon. Genius.

Other folks use other versions of premix. How do the other version show their date codes? Post pics if you've got them.

Just checked an open can. Been open since I bought it several years ago. This has been in my ht131 polesaw for over a year. I just tried starting it while I was putting my mower up. Started in 4 pulls and idled good. Didn't rev it because the bar cover was on it.

Attachments

• 20230915_170427.jpg
    20230915_170427.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back