• ArboristSite has decided that due to the abusive interactions users are having with each other in the political forum, we will no longer be providing a place to talk politics on this forum. Any political posts will be deleted once discovered or reported to us. We are sorry for this inconvenience.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

New Firewood Scrounging:

Kansaswoodpile

Kansaswoodpile

Just sent out some ads to local tree service companies/guys for tree removal pick up or drop off at my site.
Hope I get some bites.
How do you all do it ?
I keep my eyes open for trees that need taken down. Often a homeowner will let you have it, and if it isn’t too close to a house or building I will take it. My brother has a creek full of oak he lets me cut in, and my neighbor farmer has wood all over his pasture bottoms. I help him fix fence and move cattle and he lets me cut wherever I want.

Reactions: svk
SS396driver

SS396driver

To much wood
As said before you just need to keep making contacts. I'm pulling wood from three places 2 were word of mouth and one was a craigslist add. The big one is on 40 plus acres where the owner is having it logged . They aren't interested in the small or twisted stuff. So plenty of tops and collateral damaged trees.
2nd is mostly dead ash that we approached the owner about. Power company came and cut the trees near their lines but all they did was top them . Left about 15 10 foot stumps and the tops where they fell.
3rd again is a property owner that wants all the dead ash removed from his 25 acre plot . And anything down or dead. That's where I got the last load on hickory from.

I'll be set for the next 5 to 10 years for firewood and the funny thing is I didn't have enough this fall for this season.

rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
Just remember if you take down a tree on someone else's property and damage something, or worse yet hurt someone, you maybe paying the rest of your life for a load of wood.

I have a couple farmer friends with dead Ash all over their farms, so I can cut all I want. Drop, take the wood, leave the rest. Their farm hands clean up all of the debris.

SS396driver

SS396driver

To much wood
Just remember if you take down a tree on someone else's property and damage something, or worse yet hurt someone, you maybe paying the rest of your life for a load of wood.

I have a couple farmer friends with dead Ash all over their farms, so I can cut all I want. Drop, take the wood, leave the rest. Their farm hands clean up all of the debris.
I wont take down any tree that's close to a building just not worth it. All the wood I've been getting is in the woods so no buildings. And no one around .

svk

Saw Hoarder
I wouldn’t mess with wood close to buildings on someone else’s property unless it was leaning so obviously away from the building that even a farmer’s cut couldn’t screw up the fall.

Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm pretty spoiled here as all of my wood and cutting is done on the family farm. I have access to tractors when needed for the big trees. Most of the time I use the truck or lately been using the Ranger and ATV if the snow isn't too deep. I can get down into the timber and into tighter spots with the quad and Ranger. I'll get some pictures loaded up.

Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Addicted to ArboristSite
When we can plan on a couple days of cutting, clearing and dragging, there is a skidder we borrow. That's fun to experience how much work they can accomplish. Oh, we use the heck out this little trailer as you can see. My brother and I built it out of some angle iron and a mini van axle. Small burr mill is what the hitch came from.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk