New Oregon Chain Grinders (2015)!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was looking for something in the 2015 Oregon Forestry and OEP Catalog (available on line on the Oregon 'Professional' web site: http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/pro_home.htm under the 'Products' tab), and was surprised to see a big change in their grinder line up!

* I have no information on any of these, other than what is in that catalog. *

- The hydraulic grinder looks similar, and is now called the 620;
- The 'flagship' (my term) / industry standard 511AX is being replaced by the 520 *with a retro (again, my term) style vise, though, still labeled as 'self centering', but losing the ability to grind 3/4 pitch chain without an adaptor/accessory;
- The 510 has been replaced by the 410, with a very different base casting;
- The small, bench mount, 310 grinder has a format similar to some of the 'Harbor Freight' style grinders (hopefully better quality?)!

Verrrrry Interesting! (Arte Johnson's term!)

Philbert

Screen shot 2015-01-12 at 12.44.35 AM.png
Screen shot 2015-01-12 at 12.44.57 AM.png
Screen shot 2015-01-12 at 12.45.15 AM.png
Screen shot 2015-01-12 at 12.45.33 AM.png
Screen shot 2015-01-12 at 12.45.53 AM.png

Thanks Philbert, l like the look of the top new hydraulic assist grinder. l have a 511 knock off which my father gave me as a gift which works quite well but l would really like a top quality oregon or silvey. l am quite a good hand filer but the savings in time and effort with a chain grinder are very hard to ignore.

I wonder if the change back to the older style vise on the new 520 grinder was related to some of the criticism we heard of the 511AX vise in A.S. threads like these?
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/511ax-vise.228345/

If so, I hope that the designers also looked at our comments and recommendations in other threads!
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/511a-grinder-improvements-tweaks.197073/

I would have loved it if they added more head and vise travel to allow grinding of both L and R cutters from the 'outside-in', without having to reverse the motor. Would have been a nice feature. Would have liked to see a 'T' handle on the vise rotation knob too.

Changing the grinding wheels on the 2, larger grinders looks straight forward. The small screws holding the guards on the 2, smaller grinders make me a little nervous: I hope they do not strip out easy, causing users to just leave them off. Not a problem for guys that run just one size wheel, but I could see someone buying that model 410 grinder who wants to switch between 3/ low profile and standard 3/8 chain frequently, or wanting to grind depth gauges.

Some of the specs listed may have errors, so view with some caution:
- The hydraulic grinder (without a vise handle) is indicated to have 'customizable vise handle positioning; while the 410 (with what appears to have a handle similar to the 520) does not?
- Amperage and HP ratings for the 2, smaller grinders look like they might be messed up a little.

The catalog also lists the current grinders as being available 'while supplies last', so maybe we will see some clearance deals? Or you may still have the chance to buy one of these models if you like it better.

Philbert

i tried to locate the same page using your link but couldn't find it. i wonder if they took it down?
Duke,

Go to: http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/pro_home.htm
Select: 'Products' tab
Drag down to: '2015 Forestry and OEP Catalog'

The on-line catalog opens up in a new window (you can download off-line version via 'Options' tab). Lots of great technical info on all of their products, including some you probably did not know existed!
Bench style chain grinders start at page 'FOR184'.

Just tried it now and it is working for me. If the link does not work for you, Google 'Oregon chain', select 'North America', and 'Professional'. Maybe you have to make sure that you are not blocking pop-up type links.

Philbert

Two things,

I wonder if the plastic shims have been eliminated in the vises, the major cause of complaints in the 511AX due to excessive premature wear.

The design of all doesn't address the inherent weakness in the vice design. Clamping from the bottom makes the cutter move as the jaws tighten. A Silvey style pawl that forces the cutter down into the rail is vastly superior, much cheaper to manufacture, almost immune to wear and doesn't have to be clamped. Much simpler and faster. Too bad they didn't try and acquire the patent if there is one.

When I was contemplating the hydraulic clamping ones, I heard that unless used very frequently, the hydro ones were prone to leaking and that was from an Oregon support person.

Duke,

Go to: http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/pro_home.htm
Select: 'Products' tab
Drag down to: '2015 Forestry and OEP Catalog'

The on-line catalog opens up in a new window (you can download off-line version via 'Options' tab). Lots of great technical info on all of their products, including some you probably did not know existed!
Bench style chain grinders start at page 'FOR184'.

Just tried it now and it is working for me. If the link does not work for you, Google 'Oregon chain', select 'North America', and 'Professional'. Maybe you have to make sure that you are not blocking pop-up type links.

Philbert

philbert-

thanks for the help. i didn't look in the catalog. i've written a bit of html code is this is one of the worst i've seen. too bad they didn't just use a pdf document. i can't see most of the graphics, doesn't scroll correctly and can't get it to fit my display. firefox on fedora 20 linux, adobe flash. i also got an unrelated pop-up that is probably a symptom of a hack. guess i'll try to download it and see if that works better. on the other hand it looks like they have abandoned their whiz-bang chain vice except on the hydraulic model which i think is good. i don't know about the 410 model. it looks like they may have cut some corners. it's all good though. my 510a will out last me, maybe my son too.

Philbert, to address your PM and so other folks can see what we are talking about.

"A Silvey style pawl that forces the cutter down into the rail is vastly superior, much cheaper to manufacture, almost immune to wear and doesn't have to be clamped. Much simpler and faster."

jpttsn.jpg

25aj8n5.jpg

I have a 620-120 hydraulic on order to replace an older 510, honestly from the specs and pictures I don't see any notable differences over last year's grinders, but I will know for sure when I receive the grinder. I also have a 511AX in operation to compare it to.

Philbert, to address your PM and so other folks can see what we are talking about.

"A Silvey style pawl that forces the cutter down into the rail is vastly superior, much cheaper to manufacture, almost immune to wear and doesn't have to be clamped. Much simpler and faster."

jpttsn.jpg

25aj8n5.jpg

i've never used the silvey grinders but i do like (from just looking at it) the design of the stop. however, it looks like there would be some play in the non-clamping rails that would allow the cutter to tip while grinding. also, the wheel dresser looks like it would leave a flat, rather than radiused, surface on the wheel. i'd like to see a video of one in action.

i've never used the silvey grinders but i do like (from just looking at it) the design of the stop. however, it looks like there would be some play in the non-clamping rails that would allow the cutter to tip while grinding. also, the wheel dresser looks like it would leave a flat, rather than radiused, surface on the wheel. i'd like to see a video of one in action.

There are adjustments to tighten the rails as much as you would like for the gauge of chain being used. Mine was probably set for .063 gauge and I tightened it up for .050. I have another set of rails/pawls for the 80 gauge chain. The rails are a spendy item.

The dressing wheel is radiusesed to give the proper curve on the wheel. You can't see it as it is on the other side. The dressing wheel is a little aggressive on wheels so I only use it on a brand new wheel and normally just use a dressing brick to maintain the correct profile.

Sorry about the poor pic quality, if there is a macro function, I don't know how it works.

Anyway the pawl forces the front of the cutter down by locking in the rear top corner. To use, one pulls back with the left hand on the chain below the chain vice.

szu3r8.jpg

dqstiv.jpg

So it looks like it pushes down and forward on the rear of the cutter, where the Oregon/Tecomec grinders (and clones!) push forward on the rear of the cutter (or prevent it from sliding backwards, depending on your perspective) and clamp on the drive link tangs, once in position. Is this the difference?

As noted in some other threads, I use Giles tip for making sure that each cutter is fully seated before locking the vise. Might have to drive over and visit your grinder collection some weekend . . .

Philbert

i like the way it has two stops, one for each side of the chain. i'm wondering if i could copy the design for an oregon/techomec field modification...

The big thing is not clamping from the bottom to stabilize the cutter. The way the pawl works, it doesn't need to be clamped at the bottom as long as the rails are tight.

So it looks like it pushes down and forward on the rear of the cutter, where the Oregon/Tecomec grinders (and clones!) push forward on the rear of the cutter (or prevent it from sliding backwards, depending on your perspective) and clamp on the drive link tangs, once in position. Is this the difference?

As noted in some other threads, I use Giles tip for making sure that each cutter is fully seated before locking the vise. Might have to drive over and visit your grinder collection some weekend . . .

Philbert

Yup you pretty much have it.

On the Oregon, seating the cutter with a dowel or something does help a bunch to stop the cutter from moving while clamping.

You are welcome any time Philbert. :cheers: I am not so sure though about your chains.:laughing: You keep some pretty rough company.:happybanana:

Latest posts

Back