New Piston Taper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsell

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm putting together another Husky 51 and have an aftermarket piston from Baileys. The skirt is too tight at the bottom of the cylinder and the new piston tapers .008 from top to bottom. It's also a bit egg shaped on the bottom. Is there any way to make this work or should it be tossed?piston 001.JPG

Attachments

• piston 002.JPG
    piston 002.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 30
  • piston 003.JPG
    piston 003.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 30
  • piston 004.JPG
    piston 004.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 29
  • piston 005.JPG
    piston 005.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 30
  • piston 006.JPG
    piston 006.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 31
  • piston 007.JPG
    piston 007.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 31
  • piston 008.JPG
    piston 008.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 27
Two stroke piston should be slightly oval shape when cold, expanding to round at running temperature.

As a guide, .001" per inch of bore, piston to cylinder clearance, ie: two inch bore=.002" clearance.

Two stroke piston should be slightly oval shape when cold, expanding to round at running temperature.

As a guide, .001" per inch of bore piston to cylinder clearance, ie: two inch bore=.002" clearance.
Was thinking the same. Why don't you heat it up with a propane torch, nice and easy, and see it it straightens out. Obviously, only if it won't ruin the potential of a return.

The crown of an MS250 piston grew over .010 on me when I heated it up to weld a dome on it. I was shocked. It reverted back to original size when it cooled. The crown grew more that the skirts BTW.

Cold, a stock OEM piston was 1.666 at the crown and 1.690 at the skits for me. From a running motor.

How long ago did you buy that? That piston is only $20 now.

I bought it last summer off Ebay. The person that originally bought it in 2008, sent the receipt with it. I'm not worried about returns, just wonder if there's a way to make it work.

As a guide, .001" per inch of bore, piston to cylinder clearance, ie: two inch bore=.002" clearance.

I have slightly used OEM piston which is round and measures 1.767 at the skirt, 1.765 just under the ring groove, and 1.763 above the ring groove. So, I'd have .003 clearance at the bottom.

Remember if you measure clearance like that, you halve the measurement. That is 0.001" if the 0.002" feeler is snug.

No need to halve the measurement, unless you put a feeler on both skirts.

Use the feelers like go- nogo- gauges. If a 0.002" fits and and a 0.003" does not you are fine. A 0.004" is showing wear but not too bad. If a 0.0015 or 0.002" does not fit good chance it will seize.

Aftermarket forged pistons (wiesco) need more clearance as do much bigger saws/pistons

That's the shape that piston is supposed to be cut.
The aforementioned heat expansion is the reason.
you'll need to do the math from the clearances these guys gave you
to check if it's the right size.
http://www.engineering-dictionary.org/Cam_ground_piston
they worked just dandy in our motorcycles.
Can't speak of modern ones, but this was how they were made, back in the 70's.
Every one that I had a chance to put a mic or calipers on, was cut this way, back then.

Back