New Stump Grinder Suggestion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumpchump

Reaction score
Looking to get into stump grinding business. Getting all my pre-requisits right now, llc, website, business phone. Now i need to decide on a Machine. I see alot of good stuff about Carlton, Vermeer and Bandit. I've seen others but due to no close dealers around I've narrowed them out. Would like a Carlton 4014, 7015 Tired version and diesel. or a Vermeer 652 or 852 also tired and diesel. Can someone give me some clear cut pro's and cons, experiences and suggestions which to stay away from in terms of engines gas vs diesel, belts vs hydralics, cutting teeth. Wireless vs hand controls. Maintenance on machines and what to expect from each machine. Looking for all your inherited wisdom and suggestions for a rookie. Thanks.

First of all, you are to be commended for doing it right and being legal. There is risk involved, so insurance is required to get your contractors license. You need to think in terms of how accessible backyards are in your area. On paper, my 60TX Vermeer can be made to go 35 1/2” wide. In the real world it seldom works. So I use my smaller machine, a 372 on the tight fits. So look at potential jobs, ask yourself can I get such and such machine to the stump. Whatever brand you choose, make sure if it’s a wheeled machine to get 4wd. As far as actual brands, a lot of it is personal preference. If your going diesel find something with no or minimal emissions. As far as teeth, Yellow Jackets work excellent for me. I can change a tooth in 10 seconds in the field, cheap to have sharpened, the wheels last forever. But everyone’s experience is different, you’ll likely to get a lot of differing opinions. I could go on and on and on, but some stumps are calling my name- best of luck

Back