New to climbing please help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Cunningham

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can anyone help me out i need to learn how to cut a tree from the top to bottom i need some rope techniques like how do i run my rope up and tie to tree and rope in a manner that i can keep moving the rope down as i descend im new to all of this and really trying to get my tree service off the ground thanks guy and any links to good informational videos would be great

Read a book. 'Tree climber's companion' By Jeff Jepson to start.
Then read it again. Then ask some veteran climbers. Then read it again. Start there, then work your way up to the top of the tree.

get the dvd from gerald beranek. its very very good

You could always go get a job as a groundie and work your way up to climber, then venture out on your own. You’ll learn more and be safer doing it, or just jump in at the top and try to stay off the ‘accident briefs’ pages of TCI magazine.
On a side note, do you know how to prune and care for trees in general?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tree work is not something you can read a book or watch a video on then go do (though they can help). You need to get a job with a good company. Become a really good ground man and work your way up to being a climber.

Yep u guys sure know everything. Actually everyone learns different i am a self taught i can read a book or watch someone do somethin and i can replicate it no problem i learned by buying the gear goin out in my backyard and started climbing and i got the ground covered i have done plenty of ground work i only asked for help because where i live there isnt alot of people to talk to i have a neighbor but he is 7 miles away

Gotcha. Look into the books already mentioned. Also, there's a few great arborists on YouTube that have really good technique to replicate. Climbing arborist, august hunicke, buckin billy ray, and Human, to name a few. Climbing arborist goes into really good detail on climbing systems and all the parts needed.

I'd recommend doubled rope technique. It can be as simple as one rope and your harness, tied in a closed system with a Blake's hitch. (Tie the Blake's wrong and you'll know). Along with your primary climb line you'll need a lanyard/flipline, when you need to advance your primary you get tied in with your lanyard. ALWAYS be tied in.

You'll learn the climbing fast. The thing I'd study and practice would be the dynamics of cutting. Compression and tension, lean of a tree, how to notch and back cut, will this branch swing and hit me? or snag my rope and pull me out? There's a lot to learn but you'll get it in no time.

Good luck!

Can anyone help me out i need to learn how to cut a tree from the top to bottom i need some rope techniques like how do i run my rope up and tie to tree and rope in a manner that i can keep moving the rope down as i descend im new to all of this and really trying to get my tree service off the ground thanks guy and any links to good informational videos would be great
If you don't know how to climb then the last thing you should be thinking about is running a saw in a tree.

Sent from my SM-G389F using Tapatalk

Back