New to OWB... Looking to purchase a used boiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorswift

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all.
New to the OWB seen and looking to purchase one to help with the cost of heating! I live on 10 acres of woods and I am looking to maximize my subsidy source. I have a POS factory built insert fireplace which is junk and my wife will not allow an indoor stove. So this is why I am here.

I am from Central IN and I found a guy who has an older HEATMOR 200 boiler. He has not used the unit, but said it worked when the previous owners used it a few years ago. How can I tell if this is worth the drive and cost? I am 3 hours south? Is there anything I can ask the owner to do for me so I'm not wasting my time? Thanks all.

You would be very wise to check both your town and state laws concerning installation of outdoor boilers. Many of the older units cannot be legally installed anymore. If you skirt the law, you could spend a lot of money only to have your town (or angry neighbor) force you to remove the unit. Further, boilers do not last forever. Even properly cared for they do rust out (from the inside out) over time. I would be very cautious about purchasing a used unit from a private party.

Pretty large differences in operation and appetite for wood, between a stove/insert, and an OWB.

That's not even touching on installation aspects - which there are lots of.

As far as cost, I would not pay more for a used OWB that I could sell it for scrap for - very risky business. You might get lucky - and you might not.

How much wood would you be expecting to have to burn with it?

Cost everything out on paper first. I mean every fitting and every piece of hose, it's amazing how quickly things add up. I bought a used one but I feel that I got real lucky with my purchase. And I'm not legal either but the 1st neighbour who complains gets cooked in it.

I am located in Indiana. I know we have some ordinances, but not too strict. I am in the sticks and heat strictly with electric and the crappy factory built fireplace, so I am looking for a better source. Our home is not built for an EPA fireplace or woodstove without major modifications.

My property is loaded with dead ash. I have taken down almost 75+ trees around my property within the last 3 years. I don't mind the work! I know a couple of people who have built and installed boilers themselves, so I should have some hands on knowledge. I live in a woods and my closest neighbor is more than 100 yards or so away, so I don't think smoke will be an issue.

I can get the used unit for $700, maybe less if I can haggle. I was just told last night that he found a pin hole directly new the top of the fire box by the flue. The inside of the firebox looks good except for the flue area, a bit of rusting/pitting.

It worth scrap price. If you or a buddy is a welder you will be able to rebuild it. Installing one is not cheap even if you can do the work. So as others have said price the pipe fitting heat exchanger's pumps and so on to make sure this will work for your budget. If you don't install it correctly you won't be happy how it works.

Agree with others...used OWB scrap price only unless it comes with heat exchangers/pumps etc...
I am not a good enough welder to even consider purchasing a used one...if there is a pin hole that entire section will need cut out and replaced.
Good luck.

The unit comes with everything attached to it; pumps and such. But im sure I have to purchase a heat exchanger and underground pipe. Im not a welder myself, but my family is all union pipefitters or welders, so a case of beer I should be ok. My electric heat bill is over $300/month, so im willing to spend some extra cash to save in the long run. I just cant do 4k+ right now to do a new one.

The unit comes with everything attached to it; pumps and such. But im sure I have to purchase a heat exchanger and underground pipe. Im not a welder myself, but my family is all union pipefitters or welders, so a case of beer I should be ok. My electric heat bill is over $300/month, so im willing to spend some extra cash to save in the long run. I just cant do 4k+ right now to do a new one.
Looks like you have folks that can rebuild it for you. Buying and installing the under ground pipe is were the expense starts. Don't go cheap on the pipe. How well the pipe works will make or break it your OWB and getting the heat to were it is needed and not just in the ground. If you have forced air on your electric heat then installing a heat exchanger will be no problem.

Here are a couple pics of the fire box. The hole is around the top.

Attachments

• Resized9.jpg
    Resized9.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Resized95.jpg
    Resized95.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 15
Cost everything out on paper first. I mean every fitting and every piece of hose, it's amazing how quickly things add up. I bought a used one but I feel that I got real lucky with my purchase. And I'm not legal either but the 1st neighbour who complains gets cooked in it.
Lol thats tol funny.

You need to price the underground insulated pipe. DO NO SKIMP IN THIS AREA. The proper stuff for 1" insulated pex is over $10 per foot. If you need 1-1/4" then expect about $15 per foot. It has supply and return in it, insulated and water tight barrier.

$300/mo for electric heating is actually pretty cheap, relatively speaking. If you're still cold though, that's another story.

Echo Marshy ^. Do not skimp on underground pipe. It will be pricey. But is required, or else most of your heat won't make it to the house.

You could be setting yourself up for having to get 10 or more cords of wood ready to burn every year. Which can get to be a real big drag year to year. So make sure you have fully assessed that aspect. Along with all other details, little or big.

I would be very very leery of buying a used boiler that is already showing signs of failing, it might likely be the start of leaks showing up one after the other.

$300/mo for electric heating is actually pretty cheap, relatively speaking. If you're still cold though, that's another story.

Echo Marshy ^. Do not skimp on underground pipe. It will be pricey. But is required, or else most of your heat won't make it to the house.

You could be setting yourself up for having to get 10 or more cords of wood ready to burn every year. Which can get to be a real big drag year to year. So make sure you have fully assessed that aspect. Along with all other details, little or big.

I would be very very leery of buying a used boiler that is already showing signs of failing, it might likely be the start of leaks showing up one after the other.
The $300/month is on budget plan. It would have been $500-$700/month in the cold season.

Well, I went and checked out the boiler. It came with pump, blower, t-stat, etc. I ended up getting it for $300, so I will have to hook it up to a hose and check for a leak! Hoping it works, it looks clean other than a boiler over at one time.

Just make sure the vent isn't or doesn't get blocked when you test it. It wouldn't take much pressure at all to maybe put some damage in something.

Like it is echoed previous do not skimp on the pipe. I lose 1 degree in a 100 foot run with high quality pipe. The other thing I would look at is a thermostatic valve. It turns water back below 150 and really helps to keep the firebox from corroding.

Not much knowledge on the used side, but the heatmor 200 is a good stove. I know of three people who have them and love em.

Back