Novel Staking and Guying Method?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jomoco

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Growing trees from seeds n seedlings is common to commercial nurseries, however their staking methods vary to a degree that's detrimental in too many outlets, IME.

They vary from a single stake straight jacket, where the trunk couldn't bend if it wanted to bound so tightly to the stake, to more proper two n three stakes, correctly spaced, and attached to the trunks with some form of elastic, stretchable flexible material, like rubber strips.

Now I'm no nurseryman who's propagated thousands of trees from seeds, but I have done one from seed, a Floss Silk Tree, Chorisia speciosa, and currently a Golden Medallion Tree, Cassia leptophyla seedling, from a nursery that abused it by tying it tightly to a single stake, for far too long, resulting in a skinny little trunk, ready to break in the slightest breeze.

My first successful from seed, to kitchen table to wind protected patio, to full wind exposure Floss Silk Tree, used an overhead rope support method that worked like a charm.

Once in a two gallon container, simply placing it directly below an overhead rope about ten to twelve feet above the container, and tethering to it with an 1/8 inch cord with an inline limited throw spring, allowed the seedling to bend n flex quite naturally in the wind, without ever bending past the breaking point. Trunk girth increased far more rapidly, and within the first year, sufficiently enough to no longer need assistance, even in a stout high wind.

After all a tree nursery is a highly controlled environment, that ideally would benefit from the sale of pre wind hardened trees in containers, with trunks of sufficient girth to adapt to any environment?

Below's a pic of the Golden Medallion containerized seedling being wind toughened using my overhead support technique currently.

image.jpeg

Jomoco

Growing trees from seeds n seedlings is common to commercial nurseries, however their staking methods vary to a degree that's detrimental in too many outlets, IME.

They vary from a single stake straight jacket, where the trunk couldn't bend if it wanted to bound so tightly to the stake, to more proper two n three stakes, correctly spaced, and attached to the trunks with some form of elastic, stretchable flexible material, like rubber strips.

Now I'm no nurseryman who's propagated thousands of trees from seeds, but I have done one from seed, a Floss Silk Tree, Chorisia speciosa, and currently a Golden Medallion Tree, Cassia leptophyla seedling, from a nursery that abused it by tying it tightly to a single stake, for far too long, resulting in a skinny little trunk, ready to break in the slightest breeze.

My first successful from seed, to kitchen table to wind protected patio, to full wind exposure Floss Silk Tree, used an overhead rope support method that worked like a charm.

Once in a two gallon container, simply placing it directly below an overhead rope about ten to twelve feet above the container, and tethering to it with an 1/8 inch cord with an inline limited throw spring, allowed the seedling to bend n flex quite naturally in the wind, without ever bending past the breaking point. Trunk girth increased far more rapidly, and within the first year, sufficiently enough to no longer need assistance, even in a stout high wind.

After all a tree nursery is a highly controlled environment, that ideally would benefit from the sale of pre wind hardened trees in containers, with trunks of sufficient girth to adapt to any environment?

Below's a pic of the Golden Medallion containerized seedling being wind toughened using my overhead support technique currently.

View attachment 619277

Jomoco

It would solve many issues cause by improper staking(which the vast majority of landscaping tree are) But having an overhead attachment to tether the tree from could be difficult especially on a larger scale. Maybe a L shaped rod iron, reusable rod that could be place a few feet from the tree?

Not quite, I see this as a tree nursery practice to wind harden containerized saplings prior to selling them.

50-100 foot rows of them in perfect alignment.

I've often thought locations with a prevailing breeze in any direction, might make an ideal environment to propagate and wind harden containerized trees in.

Simply by placing the container on a platform that spins once every hour.

Rather like a large windup pocket watch.

Put a swivel on your overhead line tether, and presto!

Wind hardened and very symmetrical tree saplings ready for transplant into even the windiest environs!

Jomoco

Back