Seedling was poisoned

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roberta

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice about what to do for a floss silk tree (Chorisia speciosa) that had bleach poured on it? My daughter, a vengeful person (with no morals) did this to me to a seedling that I raised from 28 seeds that I planted - it was the only one that germinated. Just about broke my heart. I changed the soil right away and soaked it, but it doesn't look good. When all the leaves dried up I cut it off to about 4" above
the soil. Now it only has its little trunk and two leaves left. It's a small thing, it was only about 8" high to begin with but it has a good root system so I'm hoping it will make it.

Do you think that there's a chance it will live? I figure you all would be able to give me an opinion or some advice.

Thanks very much, Roberta

well, how bout making your daughter give up her allowance or do chores til she has bought another tree.... or at least plant and care for one herself.

how about adding some bionutrients if you can find some, and/or vitamin B1 Start....Maybe it will pull through...

Seedling poisoned

I wish it was that easy! I'm in California so the only floss silk trees I've ever seen are about a mile away - and my son and I gathered the seeds from the trees and came home and planted them.

My daughter is 24 years old and just went to live w/her dad since I couldn't stand having her here any longer.

That's why I'm trying to save this little seedling.

Thanks, Roberta

There's deeper issues than the seedling but, keep it well watered and out of direct sun. If it stablizes repot again, I did not see where you rinsed the roots before repotting, did you?

Seedling poisoned

Yes, I rinsed it very well and then on the advice of someone else I cut the top few inches off since it was dying anyway, then took it out of the pot and soaked it then repotted it again. I have it in a window where it gets indirect light and I'm keeping it moist. The stem has turned a darker color but it is still flexible and hasn't dried out. The four leaves left on it are dried out but haven't fallen off, so I'm hoping to get some new growth along the stem.

I keep hearing how hardy floss silk trees are and that there's a really good chance it will come back. I hope so. I realize it's only a plant but we spent so much time gathering seeds, watering them and nurturing them, so when this one seed finally germinated we became pretty attached to it.

Thanks very much!

Roberta

Seedling poisoned

LOL! That is so funny, I just ordered 10 seeds from this lady yesterday! Sounded like a nice woman, said she'd get them off to me right away.

She recommended soaking the seeds overnight before planting. I noticed that if the seeds dry out they don't germinate.

By the way the silk floss trees in our area are blooming - first time I've ever seen them do that and they are so beautiful. They're such strange trees, the spikes are so sharp but their flowers are gorgeous I guess to make up for it.

Roberta

Re: Seedling poisoned

Originally posted by Roberta
LOL! the spikes are so sharp but their flowers are gorgeous I guess to make up for it.

Roberta

Like a rose. Good lesson for life, there. You've got to take the bad with the good.

Latest posts

Back